It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How good are you at spotting a faker?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I just came across an interesting little quiz on the BBC science website that test how good you are at spotting a fake smile.
I've just tried it and got 17 out of 20, so I guess, contrary to what I have always thought, I'm pretty good at reading peoples emotions.
I'm not sure what practical uses this has, but it's a fun little quiz to try out.

Spot the fake smile

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I worked for the bbc so they should know if i know or not, lol.

These games are really annoying.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Nice little quiz.

I got 12 out of 20. So i suck i geuss. lol

VvV

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
i got 15

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Whoo!I got 16!!

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
in most of them its the eyes that beamed that helped and the brows and squints, for a real smile

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by prettygreeneyes26

I mainly looked at the eyes too, and how quickly the smile stopped. If it went from a full smile to a frown instantly I assumed it was fake, the real smiles have a kind of residual grin after they stop

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Got 15 / 20.
I've been watching the series 'Lie to Me' which is about detecting people's lies through the micro-expressions. It's pretty good.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Can you tell if they are lying, by not looking at them, or are you guys looking into there eyes.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I got 14 / 20.

I was doing great, and then I got three of the last five wrong. I think the previous smiles were beginning to project onto the later ones in my mind, making it more difficult to judge sincerity.

I found the eyes most useful. Just look for that twinkle.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Can you tell if they are lying, by not looking at them, or are you guys looking into there eyes.

It is easier to look into the eyes and tell than by inferring otherwise.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
11/20

I often have difficulty spotting the intent of people and whether or not they're being genuine.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
From the results page

Genuine smiles, on the other hand, are generated by the unconscious brain, so are automatic. When people feel pleasure, signals pass through the part of the brain that processes emotion. As well as making the mouth muscles move, the muscles that raise the cheeks – the orbicularis oculi and the pars orbitalis – also contract, making the eyes crease up, and the eyebrows dip slightly.

Apparently the series "Lie to me" is based on the work of Dr Paul Ekman, you can read his opinions on the series on his blog
here

CAVEAT: How the Lightman Group spots lies is largely based on findings from my research. Because it is a drama not a documentary, Dr. Lightman is not as tentative about interpreting behavior as I am. Lies are uncovered more quickly and with more certainty than it happens in reality. But most of what you see is based on scientific evidence.

edit on 9-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

top topics

join