It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa develop hypersonic jets travel 5 times speed sound

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk... iencetech/article-1326618/Nasa-develop-hypersonic-jets-travel-5-times-speed-sound.html

about time ,seems like jumbos have stalled at their current speed ,concord was 1969! even if we just rebuilt that to today's standards it would change the world.

be lucky to see this in 20years/

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ashwhy

Link doesnt work.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
New York to Sydney in just 2hrs 30mins: Nasa to develop 'hypersonic' passenger jets that travel at five times the speed of sound
By Daniel Bates
Last updated at 12:06 PM on 5th November 2010

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 11/9/2010 by this_is_who_we_are because: added headline

edit on 11/9/2010 by this_is_who_we_are because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Your link is messed up, but an interesting find. I hope to see something like this soon as it's been long due for some time now. I guess the military is willing to let out a little bit of there info from the back engineering projects
Nah j.k. but it does seem like we should of had something like this back in 2000-2002 at least considering how fast we were going in the 50s-70s.

Fixed Link

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ashwhy

Thanks to the poster that put in the new link

The title should read "plan to develop" but I guess thats irrelevant.
I dont see much being done with the tiny budget allowed and even if it did it would be a toy of the rich.

Under the NASA Aeronautics 2010 proposal, the space agency will allocate $5million per year for the next three years to make the new aircraft a reality.

Nice plane though..

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Here are a couple of links for the X 43 and X 51 projects.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ashwhy

And what is the purpose for such an aircraft?

Second line..

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
reply to post by ashwhy

Second line..

as long as it can avoid crashing into things it would be pretty useful I suppose.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by platipus

Give me one use?

Second line./

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   

reply to post by ashwhy

Second line..

My guess would be to fly places...fast.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   

reply to post by platipus

Give me one use?

Second line./

Er...flying from New York to Sydney really quickly and economically...maybe even other places too.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by markygee

Are you suggesting this can be converted to passenger jet>?

Or just one man, or two/

How can that be possible, it is just not viable, you need special training to travel that fast because at that speed it will really get your head F'd. Who would wanna go from NZ all the to Europe in such a plane? It would be the worst experience of your life wouldn't it?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Maybe read the link.

The project is thought to be aimed at making a reusable aircraft that could fly to Mars but, as with previous space technology, it could have a huge impact upon passenger transport too.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

I'm still thinking how that is possible, how can you have passenger jets that fast and yet not effect the passengers without any training and special suits. Who would want to travel in such a craft?

I get the point that it can help us travel to Mars which is a good use.

Passenger jets, unpractical, unless other technology is invented to make the ride more comfortable. We don't want to see heads exploding

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Time.

anything that cuts a journey by a factor of 10 will have implications.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Rest assured, if they are talking about it publicly now, they already can do it.

second.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Lets look at the case of the X-43A, although it was unmanned it had a speed of mach 9.6 [right at 7000 mph], this was another project from NASA. It flew successful for 11 seconds, but I think I heard somewhere it crashed in to the ocean, idk. But why wasn't this craft built up and used anymore? or was it. Right now we have the X-15 as well which was also created by NASA for military purposes. This craft being manned, hit the chart at mach 6.72 [4,500 mph aprrox.] Its last flight was supposedly in 1968.

My point is, this craft they're thinking about creating, will probably turn out just like one of these, and suddenly just stop being used, or hid from the public.
edit on 11/9/2010 by kyrebelyell2004 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Well this is not new. Remember the X30 from the late 80's. It was expected to fly at mach 25 using supersonic ramjets. The projects as usual was cancelled by politicians. There was a 1/3 model scale of the aircraft. It was supposed to replace the Space Shuttle and be the basis for the next generation of passenger air transportation. A mach 5 is more viable but I am afraid it will have an end until maybe 30 years if we are lucky.

NASA Dryden Website

Wikipedia entry

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I think it's more about how it's angle of flight is than it's actual speed to cut the time travel down. Not many people would pay to travel so fast that there stomachs pop out their asses! mind you if it was a ride at a theme park somebody would.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Speed and acceleration are two very different things.

You all seems to be mixing the two together...
Mach 1 or Mach 100, a human can fly that fast, it all has to do with acceleration, the g-forces.
When you take your car onto the interstate your accelerating, and so it "pushes" you back in your seat, but once your going the speed limit, your no longer accelerating, at that point your body feels the same as it does when your going 0 mph.

Now, as for this article, I'm glad that NASA is once again putting money back into hypersonics...but the dollar amount needs to be higher for anything real to be accomplished, and not just some studies done that end up in a file cabinet a few years down the road.

Also, kyrebelyell2004 - Yes, the X-51 did crash into the ocean...as it was planned to. All the research that they wanted was sent to them wirelessly, so they didn't need the actual craft. and it couldn't have been re-used anyway, at that speed the heat is insane, the craft simply wasn't designed to cope with the heat for very long.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join