It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Simple Remembrance.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
In a couple of days yet another Veterans Day comes around. On this day, perhaps more than any other, I take a moment, or two, to remember the willing sacrifices made by men and women on fields of battle all over the world.

At one point in my life, I would have remembered only those who who were Americans, or her allies...which I suppose is fine, if somewhat limited in scope. Because in wars there's always more than one side in the conflict. Men and women can fight for the other side of a cause, and not be villians thereby.

World War One. World War Two. Korea. Vietnam. ...and the myriad of wars and conflicts both past and present, and most unfortunately, future. All of these drew men and women of goodwill and intentions to either side, who fought, and some died, for a cause they felt was just and necessary. How then can they be called villian? If they fought, and sometimes died, with honor can we not honor their actions even though they were, at that time and in that place, an enemy? Enemies can, and do, become friends.

In America's case: Britain. France. Germany. Enemies in the past, yet friends, even allies, now. As in the future, God willing, countries with whom we have disagreements with now will be friends and allies. We can honor them for their willing sacrifices for causes they believed were just. A noble sacrifice is to be honored, no matter how vile the cause. These young men and women had nothing to do with causing the conflict. Yet they sacrificed, and will continue to do so, with honor and courage.

Take a moment, maybe even two, and remember them. Even those that professed themselves our enemies can fight and sometimes die with courage and honor.

What matters ideology when facing whatever comes after?

My own remembrances obviously will contain my father who served with honor during three wars, and most of what can be called a fourth (the Cold War). My Grandfather who served in France during the First World War. All my uncles who served during either World War Two, Korea, or Vietnam. My sisters, all four of whom served during the heights of the Cold War, and my brother who served two tours in Iraq.

Remember, too, those who had to stay home and wait...dreading that knock on the door and the uniform of a Western Union delivery man, or a uniformed notification team. They, too, sacrificied, and serve. My mother. My Grandmothers. Aunts. ...and myself. I was too young and stupid to worry much about my sisters when they served...figuring they were as invincible as I was. But I now know what, in a limited sort of way, how my Grandmothers and mom must have felt, while watching my brother go off to war.

The least I can do is take a moment to honor them, those who went to war, and didn't come home, and those who did come home, yet didn't quite make it all the way back.

I don't remember what my father was like during his childhood, though I like to think he was much like myself. On the various battlefields he left a part of himself that he's never been able to quite find again. ...and there are thousands upon thousands just like him in places all over the world. A vivid memory from my childhood is my father walking with me, I don't even remember where we were going, and hearing a backfiring car...that's not what my father heard. Next thing I remember is my father ducking behind a tree. Even some of the ones who were physically unharmed bear the scars and wounds of these conflicts.

The least I can do is pay some sort of tribute to those who sacrificied their lives, and parts of their sanity and health to keep me safe.

So... This is my rather pitiful attempt to do just that. For a few seconds on November 11th, forget your ideology, if you can; and pay a tribute to those young men and women from all over the world, from all sides who served a cause that was greater than they.

Eulogy for a Veteran
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the mornings hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight,
I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there, I did not die.

Author Unknown to me.

edit on 11/8/2010 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Very nice. Well written and touching.

You don't have to be a 'warmonger' to remember our fallen brothers, or should I say even total anti-war types can pause to remember those who have served and paid prices up to and including their lives.

Thank you for writing and posting this.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

A very heartfelt post seagull, thank you. Also thanks to your family members that sacrificed so much and all the service people that have given so much.
November 11, I will remember and honor....

spec

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Oh seagull, my brother who watched all four of his sisters and his little brother go off to serve. I know it's in many ways harder to be the one who waits then the one who goes off to serve. I learned that when our younger brother left for his tours in Iraq; the fear I felt waiting for that knock on the door that oh so many have received. As a veteran I knew better then seagull how close our brother came. We sent him off to war with smiles and yet inside a piece was missing.

I remember the brave men and women from many different lands I had the honor of serving with, Brits, Greeks, Germans oh so many. Brave yes, but also very human, we laughed together and when the going got tough we had each other's backs. I honor those who fight for what they believe in no matter the side. It's a wonderful wish that in the future those that we now are in conflict with may yet be friends; I look forward to that day and pray for it's swift arrival.

I read so many times what kind of person joins the service of their country. I'll tell you. We are mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, aunts and uncles, cousins and grandparents, we are in short you; yes just like you. We cry when we loose a friend, we cry when we receive that long awaited letter, we cry when we miss those important dates that can never be recaptured. Then we cry tears of joy when at long last we are able to be with our loved ones; the ones who thoughts of have kept us going. Many have called us warmongers; yet there is no group of people who pray more for peace then the fighting forces of the world for they are the ones called upon to fight.

I join with seagull in asking that this Nov 11 you pause and put aside the ideological difference that rip us asunder and remember those that serve, have served and will in the future serve. They are you.
edit on 8-11-2010 by gallopinghordes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Posting to say thank you to all that serve, and also, thank you to those posting thanks. As a veteran (peacetime), and the wife of a soldier, I know how it is. The thanks mean more than you can know, especially these days, with so many anti-military opinions flying around.

For those still serving, stay safe, and know you ARE appreciated.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
This thread has made me really emotional for some reason, probably due to the OP and GH's posts.

I'd like to join and further emphasise how men AND woman..the vets..should be commended. For some reason. I see many members mock them. I'm sorry but they have done so, so much for you or have done.

They are doing or again, have done an amazing job...we owe so much to them.

So my friends, just take a few minutes today and reflect on them..for I am proud of them and so should you be.

new topics

top topics

join