It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am the New Speaker of the House - You can be too!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
As such, it is my duty to be a leader to not only those that side with my line of politics, but also to others that find my politics to differ from their own. Sometimes to the point of extremism. But what is so extreme about the Peoples' cries that not only my brethren, but my dissenters have all ignored?

The People have called upon us to be stewards of their money. For it is their money, not ours.

The People have called upon us to reign in our ridiculously insane spending that my colleagues have engaged in for not just the past two years, but the decades leading up to this moment.

The People have spoken to us, sometimes in frustration, other times calm, to bring true reform to the most basic parts of governance, yet we have ignored them. Our tax code is the most convoluted and complex masterpiece that has been used for political gain and corporate manipulation.

The People have asked us and sometimes told us to do our jobs, yet we scoffed at them and ignored them. We pushed through bills that not one person in this room can say they read before they voted for or against it.

The People were promised a transparent government by the President and knowing quite well it was not in his power to deliver, we gleefully remained opaque and secretive.

The People have begged for us to leave them alone, yet we meddle day in and day out in their lives by walking with our noses in the air and shaking a finger at them, as if we know better then they.

It is with my duty to bring a stop to this, Political Madness. It is time to govern with the consent, not against it. It is time to realize that in two years, those that do not do so will see the same fate as the fallen before us. The People have begun to realize once again that they have the power to limit our terms. They have the power to persuade our decisions and choices we make here daily.

The following is a list of priorities that I believe, as Speaker, would be for the best course of Congress:

I propose an immediate imposition upon Government spending that they be capped at no greater than the rate of inflation or the GDP, which ever is the lessor.

I propose immediately a freeze upon any tax increases to income taxes for 1-year until we can complete a comprehensive reform of our tax-code. Along with that, the friends of Washington have received too much of the Peoples' money.

In that, I propose a one-year tax holiday on all income-taxes. All other taxes will remain in effect.

I propose that we use whatever means to put the Health Care law on the rocks. Not to never return to it, but to give serious and honest debate about the issue. We will form a commission that will not include lobbyist, but those that work in the medical field. They will be represented at the table. Let us show the People that we can bring real reform, not reworkings, to the health care industry.

I propose we scrap our current tax-code. I know this sounds like a big endeavor, but so was putting a man on the moon and look what the American people achieved. The people work hard for their money and it is a damn shame they see little to no return because of how twisted our current system is.

In doing so, we must also look at the 16th Amendment. As our tax-code and it go hand in hand. If we are to seriously engage in debate and discussion about one, we must include the other.

Lastly, I recommend that we cut our legislative schedule to 4 months of the year. We are the Peoples' representatives, yet we remain disconnected from them by holing ourselves up in Washington. Our duties should not encompass the majority our time in Washington, but with those that elected us. Listen to them, for their knowledge of their situations is far greater than our own.

I will pursue this vision I have. It is my job as Speaker of the House. While I, as with any leader, will always have those that believe I am leading them in the incorrect direction, will never falter because I fear I will lose my job. I will establishing inroads to bringing civility back to debate. I will not tolerate disingenuous rhetoric that serves no purpose except to obfuscate and deceive.

My friends on the right and on the left sides of the aisles, we have our differences. We have our qualms. We most certainly have our differences in how best to utilize the Peoples' money. We do not have however, the capacity to listen. We fail at listening to our electorate and we fail at listening to each other. I seek no compromise from your principles, but I do seek an open mind.

Thank you and good night.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
This post came before the You Are President thread and I believe people have put an undue and misguided faith that the President is some all powerful being. The real power in American Politics lies within the two houses of Congress.

I will respond in the other thread, but what would you do as leader of the House to bring about the changes you think need to be made?

join