It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Origins & Creationism is such a dead place these days!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by one_man24

But what does that have to do with biological sciences?

As I love to state and have stated repeatedly, evolutionary biology makes no critique of religious belief. It's simply there.

Just like germ theory. There are germs, they are there. The Bible never mentions them and the theory never mentions the Bible, just like evolution.

Accept the science, keep your religious view. Want to discuss religion? Go ahead. Want to keep it to yourself? I applaud your self control.

But I'd love to see committed Christians join the discussion, as they don't have to denounce their religion to accept evolution.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

I would discuss evolution with you, although I don't have much more than a high school education level of understanding on the subject. I would listen to all that you want me to hear, and I would look at all that you want me to see. Would you do the same? I don't mean that as a back handed insult, I'm really asking. I just don't think that anything will change. I believe the bible is the inerrant word of God, and it states that He made us out of the earth and His spirit into us. I know how this sounds to you, but I believe it. This view and evolution can't exist together because they contradict each other. I have no other evidence but the bible for my beliefs, but it is enough for me. Don't take this to mean that I won't really listen to what you have to say. I am interested in science.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by one_man24

Are you aware of Robert T. Bakker? He's a paleontologist. He's also a minister. He's actually the person that put forth the idea that dinosaurs were warm blooded. He believes that the Bible is the inerrant word of God as well....but he doesn't think that the Book of Genesis should be interpreted literally, as he believes a literal translation of it would cheapen the work.

He still sees the evidence right in front of his face, his face that has such an epic beard.

As for your challenge about whether or not I would listen...the two subjects are quite different. I'm talking to you about demonstrable, evidence-based science. You're talking about a personal, unscientific, faith-based religion. I can prove to you that evolution is true in the same way that I can prove to you that disease is caused by germs, but you cannot do the same with religion.

I would listen, but I would listen with a scientific ear because faith is not something I seem to have. If you can prove the existence of a deity, or at least put forth a good defense for believing in it, there's a link in my sig to a thread that discusses such things. I'll listen.

Here's the great thing though, you may not retain your specific beliefs, but you can still have your deity. I'm quite sure your conception of a deity is far greater than your specific beliefs about it.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I'm going to issue a challenge to all of those reading this that accept creationism, intelligent design, or any other idea contrary to the scientific theory that has been built up from Charles Darwin's famous "Origin of Species":

If you believe something that doesn't agree with current evolutionary theory, please come to Origins & Creationism so we can discuss it. The place is starting to become filled with tumbleweeds.

edit on 14/11/10 by madnessinmysoul because: bold

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I'm going to re-bump this thread because I keep seeing this. Sometimes some creationists will come on and make some sort of wildly ridiculous claim, make a scientifically null thread, etc and then they'll just wander off again.

I'm wondering, how many people on ATS actually support creationism? How many support intelligent design? How many support evolution?

Why do I wonder? Well, judging by flag counts, there are some people who flag really ignorant threads that espouse creationist viewpoints, and there are some people who flag threads supporting evolution or in opposition to creationism.

The number of flags and the number of posters? Don't add up. Ever. In fact, they don't even add up on a forum-wide scale. There are sometimes more people flagging threads in O&C than participating in any discussion over a week.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join