It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taser Use Investigation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Taser Use Investigation

www.thepittsburghchannel.com

David Harris wrote the book on the subject, literally. The Pitt law professor authored the Taser use report last year for a panel of experts that was convened by District Attorney Stephen Zappala.

Among the recommendations:

* No Tasing for passive resistance
* No Tasing of pregnant women, pre-teens, the elderly or people with mental or physical illness
* No Tasing inside schools
A requirement that officers get annual Taser training

Pennsylvania's ACLU is planning a court fight with police departments over gaining access to their use-of-force policies.

Vic Walczak: "This is all secrecy designed to insulate them from accountability, and that's inappropriate in a democracy."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Tuscon Police Officer uses Taser on Nine year old Girl
Officer suspended after using taser on 13 year old girl...twice
edit on 11/4/2010 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This was on my local news and thought it would be something interesting to talk about ATS..

I added into the news because it talks about how closed the use of a taser is and how we can see throughout ATS if a search on taser use can be used on all the groups lsted above in the snippets.

Anyway I do not agree with these tasers because there is no over seeing on how they are being used. These I think are worse than guns because the Police believe as long as they do not kill someone it is fine...

The links above are jacked from Loam's post here.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.thepittsburghchannel.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

::EDIT:: There is a video to show what happened on the investigation above also..

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I'm all for the police recieving annual training, no tazing pregnant women, pre-teens, or the elderly. But they are a valuable law enforcement tool. I'd much rather them tase someone then shoot them. There is a small town near me, where the police dept. has had tasers for 2 years. They have not used them one time. I've seen them pull them on a subject once, that was fighting. He instantly calmed down, and they didn't have to tase him.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
There are alot of reports out that police tase just about anything..
The couple posts i linked above..

The Dont taze me bro.. asking John Kerry as question.
The guy who wanted to go home after a hurricane tazed in front of his kids.
There are alot of stories about how cops mis handle tasers.. I am just bringing to light on how they are not showing what is supposed to be done when they use a taser..

The chick in that video was taser for supposedly being suicidal. There is no need for that.. You talk the person out of hurting themselves and then have them goto a hospital.

Anyway there have been many cases also where a taser has killed someone.. So its not like tasers of kill free. The manufacturer was sued for a hefty sum recently..

What it boils down to is just a simple fact of cops being lazy..
I do have a question, did you read the article or watch the video?
They tased a guy for telling them to be quiet.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The taser was meant to be a less deadly alternative to using a firearm. The same rules and oversight should apply to a taser as apply to the use and discharge of a firearm.

Before tasers would we have tolerated the use of a firearm by police on a deaf, disabled child? Would we have tolerated the use of a firearm by police on a person who took "too long" to retrieve their Registration? Would we have tolerated the use of a firearm by police on a person who blew bubbles? So why do we tolerate the use of a taser in these instances now?

A taser is not a non-deadly weapon. It is less-deadly when compared to a firearm, but far more deadly than using common-sense, courtesy, or a modicum of restraint...traits that apparently are no longer understood by many LEOs these days.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I'm not justifying the taser being used on innocent people, one victim is one too many. However, there are protocols in place as to when and where you can use it in certain departments. If a pregnant woman is holding a gun to someone, yeah, she needs to be taken down.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I'm not justifying the taser being used on innocent people, one victim is one too many. However, there are protocols in place as to when and where you can use it in certain departments. If a pregnant woman is holding a gun to someone, yeah, she needs to be taken down.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
No you justified how they are used, we dont even know how they should be used. Did you even look at the article?
The should be used in extreme instances.... not just cause some guy wants to ask some politician a question or get some ZZZZ's in the back of a taxi... There are better ways of handling the situation than that.. So you know I can add a million examples on how cops have used tasers and shouldnt have.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

No I was pretty clear on thinking it was wrong to tase innocent people and I didn't say there were national standards. I wrote that certain departments have them. Did you read my post?
edit on 5-11-2010 by whynow because: forgot word

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

No way the thugs in police and gov are going to listen to these things. There are countless cases of police torturing people with these things. All the police have to do is make it all up, remember people.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
And what of the 1282 names on the Police Memorial? There are crooked cops, I freely admit that but it's harsh to say all cops are like that. I think there needs to be less focus on labelling cops as "trigger" happy and more focus on stress training. These people work under pressure and must be on their toes 100% of the time. What of the White Castle incident a few years back? Everyone was screaming police brutality but were completely ignoring the fact that it was a very large man that high on PCP and a danger to all. They also ignore that the pepper spray did nothing but enrage him further, they had no choice but to tase. Police know their reputation is poor and they also know that because of said reputation they've got people willing to kill them over a traffic stop. I know it's their job and they signed up for it but you can't ignore the fact that the streets have gotten exponentially worse. I do believe there needs to be more clear and concise protocols nationalized and just hope the "Don't tase me bro" type incidents never happen again.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by whynow
I do believe there needs to be more clear and concise protocols nationalized and just hope the "Don't tase me bro" type incidents never happen again.

All you have to do is type in google and or ats SEARCH TASER(sorry caps) and find all kinda ways the cops are using a taser in ways they shouldnt be..

There are stories about tasing autistic kids(Link Here), Tasing kids in general, Tasing old people..(link here) I remember a case where a guy got tased feel off a roof and the cop that tased him suicided..(Link Here) I wonder why that is..(God i hate google spell check all these red lines..) I am saying there has to be a clear standard on when a taser should be used.. They have a clear(supposedly) standard on firearms in thier profession, why not for the taser? The taser has been proven to have killed people with certain conditions.

And someone brought up some idiot on PCP, I will tell you what.. I have heard stories where a got got shot a few times on PCP and didnt die, still attacked a cop and jacked a cop up real good.. So even a gun wont stop some people on PCP.. PCP is an odd drug that makes people think they are superman(in some cases they are right..)

Here are some stories jacked from ATS to make my point on why there needs to be a clear protocol on how tasers should be handled.. Because of incidents like these makes tasers a bad thing..

Deaf Man Tasered By Cops For Pointing at His Ear
Abusive cop tasers man for refusing to sign a ticket
UHP (Utah Highway Patrol) tasers man in front of pregnant wife and baby over an alleged speeding ticket.

And then a debate on ATS about Round 1: Maxmars v Zaimless: The Taser, Should It Be Banned?

There is a saying.. Sometimes things sound better in theory but when brought into the real world can be dangerous to everyone.. Tasers are just one of these good examples of such statement.

::EDIT::
The links above stating old people autistic and such I pulled to show point, Later I looked up on google to find these.. So just goes to show my point..

edit on 11/5/2010 by ThichHeaded because: Show my point with random links on the net.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I think in california it is mando for every cop to tase every person they encounter no matter what. If your in jail, they require mando daily tasing.

top topics

join