It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You DID Vote, You Can't Complain

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by NthOther

So maybe it's not the politicians who suck; maybe it's something else. Like the public. That would be a nice realistic campaign slogan for somebody: "The public sucks. Elect me." Put the blame where it belongs: on the people.

I blame the people. I have for years. This nation is full of the most dumbed down brainwashed people in the developed world. We deserve to be taken down like a rabid dog that was let loose on the world stage. We have corrupted the world and the world needs to put this messed up nation to rest.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

So did you vote or not?

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by FoxStriker
The biggest problem in Voting is that they haven't made it mandatory

Making voting mandatory contradicts the fundamental principles of a free society. What, you're going to fine me if I don't vote for this puppet or that one? Forcing anyone to do that is a travesty and an insult to the idea of human liberty. If TPTB ever make voting mandatory, I'll most likely be arrested for going to my polling place and promptly wiping my butt with the ballot.

It is well know that people that dont or wont vote matter little anyway. No one listens to non voters. They are the worst kind of sheep. Dumb stupid sheep. BBLLAAAAA!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

I have to agree whole heartedly. I'm not sure if it stems from laziness or lack of caring. I have a feeling that much of the non voters simply don't really understand what their vote does. But it's shocking how adamant some people are about not voting! The one thing they could do to actually try and make a small difference within the country (opposed to an all out revolt) is vote, so why not take an hour of your time and go to the polls?

It baffles me!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan

So maybe it's not the politicians who suck; maybe it's something else. Like the public. That would be a nice realistic campaign slogan for somebody: "The public sucks. Elect me." Put the blame where it belongs: on the people.

I blame the people. I have for years. This nation is full of the most dumbed down brainwashed people in the developed world.. We have corrupted the world and the world needs to put this messed up nation to rest.

How about kiss our asses. There are a lot out there that need to kiss our asses and then say thank you very much.

" We deserve to be taken down like a rabid dog that was let loose on the world stage." Yea untill another Hiter comes along or at least untill the Mexican workers in this country can save a little money to send back home.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

I think it's people becoming more aware of the fact that there's no choice in the elections. They are decided ahead of time. The troubling thing is why take it? Screw the Big 2 and get other political parties involved. Hell, most countries have more than 2 major political parties. Time to grow up America. That's not an insult btw.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I don't go through the physical act of voting. I vote for "none of the above" in every election by not voting. I read up on the candidates as much, if not more than most people. Then I make a choice of whether there is anyone there I would see voting in the interest of the people they are representing. So far, I have not. So I do not vote.

So tell me something folks, where is that statistic? That one vital statistic that shows the percentage of eligable voters that showed up to vote? I found one site here elections.gmu.edu... that shows some data... if his figures are right, the number is consistantly below 50% across the board for our most recent election. So less than half of the people in the country felt good enough about the candidates in play that they needed to go vote them into office. Sure there is a margin of error in there for people who were busy or lazy or whatever, but it is undoubtedly small.

Ignoring the fact that there is a loss of confidence in the system doesn't make the problem go away any more than falsly participating in a system that is broken just to feel like you are "doing your part".

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
There's a saying that goes "If you try something, and fail at it, take that thing and never do it again". Shortly after reaching voting age, I made the mistake of assisting in voting Mulroney for his second term, and there's a reasonable explanation as to why I haven't voted federally again since.

It was a long stretch between that point, and figuring out solid reasons for not participating in a corrupt two-party system (or three, as we've had in Canada), and in between I recall quite a number of soapboxes from people bringing up the OP's point over the subject. It is suffice to say that being told we have no right to speak if we didn't vote ( ... for the lesser of evils) never sat well, and that years later, it's an extremely good feeling to have those gut instincts (of the time) validated and justified. My non votes may not have been part of the solution, which is far better than my ongoing votes being part of the problem.

I think local politics are fine and valid, with community candidates remaining much closer to purity tests, revealing their genuine concerns, and actually making a representative difference.
edit on 5-11-2010 by Northwarden because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Whether 80% of the posters on this thread realizes this or not, there's more to voting than electing a person to an position that will affect your lives by the decisions they (the elected officials) may make.

There are many issues on the ballot that has nothing to do with a candidate and their beliefs.

Liquor by the drink. The building of a new school. Annexations. Sunday beer sales. Even the legalization of marijuana, as in California this past Tuesday.

There are some things that the voters are directly responsible for and not the elected officials.

If two people believe that they should have liquor by the drink and it is brought to a vote and not passed by one vote because these two people believed they have the right not to vote, then they have nothing to complain about except their own ignorance.
edit on 5/11/10 by Intelearthling because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

In the places where ballot measures exist, this is 100% correct and I agree wholeheartedly with that. This is why, even if you do not plan to vote, you should still be aware of what is one the ballot.
edit on 11-5-2010 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
151,000 new jobs in October.

abcnews.go.com...

People just aren't patient enough. Clearly there is a trend that the economy is improving, even though its happening slower than people would like. And now people want to change leadership, muck it up and elect people who want to return to the policies that got us into this mess. Slow steady economic growth is actually more healthy than rapid economic growth. We were on the brink of a major depression and I'd have to say President Obama is doing a great job.

The irony is that many people on unemployment voted for the GOP and these same people they voted for are going to cut their unemployment benefits off......people get what they deserve. You reap what you sow.

edit on 5-11-2010 by Greensboro1978 because: adding text

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I don't think some of you are getting my point. Voting is a means of working within the system to change it. The system itself is fundamentally flawed (and downright evil), and doesn't need changing--it needs to be ended. Participation in politcal governance will not accomplish this, because your participation in it legitimizes it and provides perpetual justification for its existance.

As long as you have politics, you will always have politicians, and who needs them anyway? The "lesser of two evils" is still evil. When people use that phrase to justify their vote, do they not recognize that they are tacitly endorsing evil?

We don't need "change". We don't need revolution. We need enlightenment. I know I sound like a broken record, but we must transcend the system. We have to understand that we are above all of this political tripe. We weren't created to live this way. If we are simply aware of this, and just stop cooperating with these people, the whole thing will crash like the house of cards that it is.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Second, I don't vote, because I firmly believe that if you vote, you have no right to complain.

So do I.

If you vote, you are choosing to be ruled over by another entity. Therefore, you shouldn't complain about what they do.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

I can get behind what you are saying. I even agree with you n the fundamental belief that the system is flawed.

Trying to explain to the masses of people that we shouldn't vote or participate in voting because it's within the 'system' would only confuse them even more. Trying to explain to them what transcending above the system means would really get the public to blow a collective fuse. Always remember that individuals are smart enough to realize what your saying, but the public as a mass is fickle, and stupid. Most would disagree with you just because they don't grasp what it is that your trying to tell them.

So for the time being I would encourage people who want to change things to vote. And like intrepid stated, if you're feeling trapped by this ridiculous 2 party system that we're in, vote 3rd party. Vote independent, write some one else in. Voting doesn't mean voting on party lines. Or don't vote for candidates at all! It's been pointed out that there are always prop bills and new laws that need to be voted on as well.

I respect all non voters rights to not vote. With that said I still believe that if you have problems with our government and you did not vote, you have lost your voice, so to speak. Standing on the soapbox with out taking action doesn't get us anywhere. And no matter how broken you believe the system to be, voting is still the one chance we get every so often to impact the flawed system to change.... Minus a revolution of course.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The irony is that people putting another party in think it will change the system and the truth is it won't. While certain policies in certain parties are better for our country, the system of corruption and power hungry politicians will always be there. Don't never believe a politician that says they will change Washington, I don't care if they are running for president or running for congress. The tea party supporters fell for that old trick and you'd think people would learn by now. Oh yes some candidates do have good intentions but the reality is once they get to Washington, they become a part of the system just like the borg on Star Trek.
edit on 5-11-2010 by Greensboro1978 because: adding text

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2

Trying to explain to the masses of people that we shouldn't vote or participate in voting because it's within the 'system' would only confuse them even more. Trying to explain to them what transcending above the system means would really get the public to blow a collective fuse. Always remember that individuals are smart enough to realize what your saying, but the public as a mass is fickle, and stupid. Most would disagree with you just because they don't grasp what it is that your trying to tell them.

You said it, man. That's why the primary thing we need is enlightenment--awareness--not this "get out the vote" sheep mentality. Unfortunately you're right--the masses are asleep, dumbed-down, brainwashed, whatever you want to call it. But preaching from a soapbox is not a benign or ineffective activity. Sometimes, if enough people are doing it, it is the only way to get peoples' attention. Getting them to think critically once you have their attention is, of course, another matter entirely.

The collective fuse needs to be blown. Whatever happens afterwards may or may not be pretty, but it must happen nonetheless if we are to break free of our shackles.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

Yes you're absolutely right. The fuse does need to blow.

I don't know how much stock any of you put in web bot predictions, but a friend of mine bumped another one of my threads to tell me web bot says tomorrow marks the tipping point... between tomorrow and the 14th of the month people are gonna get pissed off because of this financial crisis we're delving deeper into.

Take it for what it's worth, but the timing is as always... intriguing.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Second, I don't vote, because I firmly believe that if you vote, you have no right to complain.

So do I.

If you vote, you are choosing to be ruled over by another entity. Therefore, you shouldn't complain about what they do.

This is totally bogus! When a person runs for office, they are essentially telling the voters that they'll be the voice for them. There is a commonality there. People whos run fpr office tells the people that they'll take the heat and fight for what their supporters believe in.

About voters choosing to be ruled by another entity? What I'm wanting to say will go against the manners and decorum rules. I will say this. Voting is a civilized way to show either opposition or support for different issues and our leaders. Like I said, voting is a civilized way to show opposition or support.

China, the former Soviet Union and modern day Cuba are perfect examples of people who choose to be ruled by another entity. Someone who doesn't vote should feel really confortable in these societies.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

I don't vote for war mongering failures & murderers because I don't want any blood on my hands.

A GOP or DNC vote is a vote for the continued killing of innocent people, saying "ok" to the Federal Reserve, CIA, war on drugs/terror, failed foreign policy, disastrous domestic policy, torture and all the NWO fascism both partys bring ... not my scene. Quoting RATM: "# you I won't do what you tell me!"... they tell me to choose a party, I refuse.

Enjoy the innocent deaths & reckless spending your vote supports... and thanks for feeding the NWO machine one more drop of support.. they couldn't ruin the nation without it.

If there was a vote to abolish the GOP & DNC, prosecute party leaders under RICO, or for Cali to succeed from the federal reserve lifestyle.. I'd vote.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

"Voting is a civilized way to show either opposition or support for different issues and our leaders. Like I said, voting is a civilized way to show opposition or support. "

Here's the thing.. I don't need a "leader" or to be "led".. I am my own leader and don't need, want or give a rats # what clueless millionaire liars in DC have to say about anything. They don't choose my enemies, friends or arguments..I do.

Where can I vote for "no leadership required"?.. why can't I vote to NOT have a president?..

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join