It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Wi-fi uses television antennas!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization tomorrow plans to unveil a breakthrough in wireless technology that will allow multiple users to upload content at the same time while maintaining a data transfer rate of 12 megabits per second (Mbps), all over their old analog TV aerial.

Read more: news.cnet.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by j4k312
Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization tomorrow plans to unveil a breakthrough in wireless technology that will allow multiple users to upload content at the same time while maintaining a data transfer rate of 12 megabits per second (Mbps), all over their old analog TV aerial.

Read more: news.cnet.com...

I almost fell of my chair when I read this! If this is the real deal, can you even imagine where will you have internet access? Almost everywhere, since TV signal is very widely available! Free internet connection 4 all!
But what, do you think that BROADBAND INTERNET PROVIDERS would allow this technology to develop?
If this gets out, I think they will be out of business in a matter of months, years at best...
We'll see...
edit on 4-11-2010 by 123321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
well lets hope the providers dont find a way to stop this it should be awesome i was living in iowa for a year and even the dialup was useless at my distance from telco it was pretty annoying to say the least to have to drive 40 minutes to get online at work,,,

this would have been awesome then!

edit on 4-11-2010 by j4k312 because: bored

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
This sounds kind of.. awkward. Based on that it implies 6 users per broadcast frequency in the form of... well.. VHF/UHF doesn't offer all that many channels for a userbase..

The technology, named Ngara, allows up to six users to occupy the equivalent spectrum space of one television channel (7 megahertz) and has a spectral efficiency of 20 bits per second per hertz. Ngara can handle up to three times that of similar technology and maintains a data rate more than 10 times the industry minimum standard, CSIRO ICT center director Ian Opperman revealed.

top topics

join