It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Approves Sale Of Leeches As Medical Devices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
A hundred years later and we're still using leeches. Isn't it amazing, how even though we progress thru the years, we seem to find our way back to the knowledge of our ancestors. At least now we are better informed and won't use the leeches for the wrong ailments.

A French company is the first since 1976 to receive clearance to market leeches as medical devices in the United States.

For many people, leeches conjure up the image of Humphrey Bogart removing the bloodsuckers from his body in the film "The African Queen."

But leeches have been used as an alternative treatment to bloodletting and amputation for several thousand years. They reached their height of medicinal use in the mid-1800s.

Today, they are used in medicine throughout the world as tools in skin grafts and reattachment surgery. By removing pooled blood, leeches can help heal skin grafts and restore blood circulation in blocked veins.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
A hundred years later and we're still using leeches. Isn't it amazing, how even though we progress thru the years, we seem to find our way back to the knowledge of our ancestors. At least now we are better informed and won't use the leeches for the wrong ailments.

A French company is the first since 1976 to receive clearance to market leeches as medical devices in the United States.

For many people, leeches conjure up the image of Humphrey Bogart removing the bloodsuckers from his body in the film "The African Queen."

But leeches have been used as an alternative treatment to bloodletting and amputation for several thousand years. They reached their height of medicinal use in the mid-1800s.

Today, they are used in medicine throughout the world as tools in skin grafts and reattachment surgery. By removing pooled blood, leeches can help heal skin grafts and restore blood circulation in blocked veins.

Actually medical leeches are nothing new. We have been using them in the PICU for limb reattchment for years now. They are sterile, and thought though they look like slugs they are fast. They attach and suck up about 5 Ml's of blood. then drop off. The benifit is not really in the blood that is sucked off, but the chemicals the leech secretes that anestitise the area and keep the blood flowing.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Well they better make damn sure iam out for the count before they go sticking those things to me even if they are a miracle Cure.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Leeches have other uses as well as being used for bloodletting and infection control.

They are also effective in the treatment of oestoarthritis.

The ancient practice of using leeches in medicine may provide a way to treat people with the painful condition osteoarthritis. ............ Use of leeches helped to ease both the pain and the inflammation associated with the condition.....It seems likely that leeches help to relieve pain because their saliva contains various compounds that have an anaesthetic effect.

The article describes the effects of treatment by leeches compared to those treated conventionally of a small sample of people measured 3 days prior to treatment and 28 days post treatment. The group treated by leeches had rapid pain relief, which was still sustained 4 weeks later, with no side effects, but those treated by convential means had no relief.

See the full article here.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I agree dwho, i would need to be out while doctors used the leeches on me, if ever they had to....I can't imagine waking from a surgery and seeing leeches clinging to my body, i think i would freak out just a bit

top topics

join