It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Ship Flares Across North Russian Skies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Here's a story from Yekaterinburg overnight, with photo (time exposure?):
Story: www.nr2.ru...
Photo: img.nr2.ru...

Another story on the same fly-by is here, and the photo is supposedly of
the event, but often the Russian papers use stock pictures to fill in --
so I can't be sure:
www.aif.ru...

edit on 2-11-2010 by JimOberg because: typo fix

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Not sure when this accured or any real details because i don't speak Russian. But could it have been the failed Eutelsat satellite crashing back to earth?

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Mr. Oberg,
I understand you speak Russian yes? Could you give us a brief rundown as to the contents of the article? Thanks!

Edit:
Here is the photo in question

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c0591a35f694.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 11/2/2010 by Juston because: add photo

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
can also be some spotlight from ground..

they caan do great shapes with them...a video would be cool

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Looks like a photo of a meteor. They shoot across the sky quick so the camera would pick it up as a streak.
I think there's some sort of meteor shower going on at the moment because I saw one last week here in Australia, it looked pretty much like the one in the photo.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
basic translation of article

Екатеринбуржцы observed today above city flight space rockets (PHOTO) Ekaterinburg, November 02 (New Region, Игнат Бакин) – the Shone flying object was seen today in the early morning by inhabitants of Ekaterinburg. The part of the eyewitnesses who have described seen in блогах, believes, that it was the booster rocket «Союз-2» with a space vehicle the "Meridian", started with the cosmodrome Plesetsk. As the correspondent of " New Region » transfers, inhabitants of the Ural capital describe the heavenly phenomenon as light blue длинн

As the correspondent of " New Region » transfers, inhabitants of the Ural capital describe the heavenly phenomenon as light blue long feature with a wide loop. Gradually shone arrow with missing triangular beams left from northwest of city on a southeast. « It should be seen alive! The Unique show similar with slowly falling болидом! », – the user under anybody «Ekamag» shares impression.

Above Ekaterinburg the rocket flew by in area of six o'clock in the morning, its shone way it was possible to observe some minutes. One of the townspeople has had time to embody the flying device on the camera. In the meantime Роскосмос reports about successful start from the cosmodrome Plesetsk booster rockets «Союз-2» with the space vehicle "Meridian" started in interests of Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation. According to the information on a site of department, start of the device has been carried out today at 03.58 Moscow time and has passed in regularly

According to the open press, "Meridian" – a series of space vehicles of double purpose, the employee for maintenance of communication of sea courts and planes of ice investigation in area of Northern sea way with coastal ground stations, expansions of a network of a satellite communication of northern areas of Siberia and the Far East in interests of development of economy of the Russian Federation. The first device of the given series has been deduced on December, 24th, 2006 by a booster rocket «Союз-2». Start of the second device have made on May, 22nd the last year.

Meanwhile, rescuers hasten to calm уральцев – falling of steps of a space vehicle as it often happens on border of the Perm edge and Sverdlovsk area after start of ballistic missiles РС-18 of the cosmodrome Baikonur, this time is not expected. As head Karpinsky of search and rescue group (the area Karpinska traditionally gets out as a platform for falling remains of rockets) Michael Bastron has informed news agency, the trajectory «Союза-2»

nice one

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Disregard my post then. The translation (assuming it's accurate) says it was visible for minutes, not seconds.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
If you search google for Ekaterinburg UFO
[or in cyrillic, нло Екатеринбург]
you'll see a lot of similar images and videos --
and just as the article says, it was a routine
rocket launch with over-the-horizon (pre-dawn)
sunlight. Just like last December.

Sadly, the most recent bulava missile launches
were not at twilight -- but either full daylight or midnight darkness --
so we didn't get the spectacular sky show like over Norway
last December.

These UFO-like (how about we call them 'ufoids'?) apparitions
depend a lot on coincidences of launch time and lighting conditions,
with cloud cover also a factor, so they've been rare for decades --
but they keep happening.

I expect we'll see a video or two from the Urals soon enough. And this
particular type of launch also restarts its engines over south america,
sparking mass UFO sightings in Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay for decades,
as well -- IF it occurs shortly after local sunset, which THIS launch isn't.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I might have seen this object pass over Canada yesterday evening at around 7:45pm. The object I saw passed visually just above the Big Dipper and traveled across the entire sky in less than 2 minutes, it was traveling basically west to east. Initially it was bright white, almost the brightness of Jupiter, which was in the opposite direction at 7:45pm. As it traveled and approached the horizon it turned from bright white to a red and then dimmed over a period of about 4seconds, then it just disappeared out of sight towards Ottawa. I thought it might be the ISS or some satellite due to its speed, which must have been in excess of 15,000 mph and I figured the change in colour was caused by the object traveling into earth shadow and catching the red refraction from the sun using the atmosphere as a filter. That sucker was moving though! No sound from it at all, so I would think it would have to be 100,000 ft or higher and there were no marker flashing lights whatsoever. I did notice that as it passed above some sparse clouds to the north east, that it illuminated them from above. I should have grabbed the video camera, next time I guess if there is a next time.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 11/2.2010 by bobs_uruncle because: had to add approximate direction of travel

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle
I might have seen this object pass over Canada yesterday evening at around 7:45pm.

You can check out www.heavens-above.com to see what was in your skies -- and to tell you in advance when to go outside and look for bright ones.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Here is the better quality image.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

Soyuz-2 "spacecraft" Meridian ", launched from the Plesetsk cosmodrome.

edit on 2-11-2010 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juston
Mr. Oberg,
I understand you speak Russian yes? Could you give us a brief rundown as to the contents of the article? Thanks!

Originally posted by Matt.Trakker
Not sure when this accured or any real details because i don't speak Russian.

You guys ever hear of GOOGLE TRANSLATE?

DOH!!

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yea i used the online english to russian dictionary auto translate tool, if anyone is wondering, thats why its garbled.
nice

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
What? Wait, No one stated the obvious.............. Its project blue beam.
OK, someone had to say it

Vince

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
[censored]
edit on 2-11-2010 by zorgon because: ArMaP did it!!

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle
I might have seen this object pass over Canada yesterday evening at around 7:45pm.

You can check out www.heavens-above.com to see what was in your skies -- and to tell you in advance when to go outside and look for bright ones.

Hey Jim -

HA.com is helpful in catching scheduled flybys, but I predict even now they still miss alot of things in the sky - shortly after this post back in May: www.abovetopsecret.com... they added rocket bodies to their database. I hate the fact that you can't go back to other days on the site to compare what was seen after the fact though. Maybe that's been added I don't know it yet.

To the OP: should your thread title be edited at this point? Maybe even moved to "Space Exploration"? Neither UFO nor Alien in your Russian article.
edit on 2-11-2010 by Cole DeSteele because: I'm dumb. lemme lone.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cole DeSteele
To the OP: should your thread title be edited at this point? Maybe even moved to "Space Exploration"? Neither UFO nor Alien in your Russian article.
edit on 2-11-2010 by Cole DeSteele because: I'm dumb. lemme lone.

Thanks for the insights re prediction programs...

I think this type of event is of fundamental criticality for the reform and rebirth of productive 'ufo studies'.

My claim is that these kinds of celestial apparitions are of fundamental importance to ufology because they provide unplanned CONTROL EXPERIMENTS by which a large number of surprised witnesses provide their impressions and interpretations.

The dismaying implications are that for this category of rocket/space-engendered 'ufoids' (where the suffix '-oid' is used in its classic sense of something that LOOKS like something else but really ISN'T) it can be shown to be entirely capable of generating ALL categories of classic 'UFO experiences', including electronic interference, radar blips, car chases and other interactions with witnesses, even missing time and telepathic messages (Dan Aykroyd's famous story of the ufonauts coming to him in a dream) and (in one delightful Brazilian case from 1978) a hypnotic regression retrieved tale of a sexual encounter with the alien pilot [female, as it turned out].

Beyond that, these stimuli are 'test cases' for the UFO community. It's not just the enthusiasts around ATS -- it's top world ufologists including Hynek, Vallee, Haines, the French govt studies, and many others, who have formally anointed many such 'ufoid' cases as authentic UFOs defying prosaic explanations.

It's been a lamentable chronicle of failure and confusion, but it remains an opportunity for learning -- that so far has been shrugged off or dodged by contemporary ufology.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
That beam is a lovley shade of blue.

Anyone know if it made a sound as it passed by?

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg
I think this type of event is of fundamental criticality for the reform and rebirth of productive 'ufo studies'.

I agree. It's amazing how many see rocket launches and call em UFO's... even if that doesn't necessarily imply alien craft

This one in China for instance. It is a beautiful capture though

Video source
youku.soufun.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join