It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why real-life ghost hunters hate "Ghost Hunters"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
reply to post by openmind444

So it becomes fruitless to even attempt to do so.

Not so openmind, there are many who appreciate your contribution here, those are the ones who want this information, I don't worry about the others who you can't convince no matter what evidence you present.

Thank you again for posting.
Those are the individuals that I am referring to, I am very appreciative of the rest of you folks.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

I'm not going to lie, I love the show. Do people who condem Ghost Hunters actually watch it?

I hate ghost hunting type shows because most of them fill their half hours with endless statements something along the lines of, "I'm really creeped out". When they're looking for 'evidence' and they hear a noise, they tend to run AWAY from it, then instantly claim that the location is haunted.

Ghost Hunters, however, is quite different. Their main mission is to try to disprove "haunted" locations. They try to look for the obvious solution to various 'paranormal activity'. Doors opening by themselves are generally disproved when a team member tries opening other doors, and finding that a vacumm is created. Banging floorboards are generally disproved by steam passing through pipes under the floorboards [Jay and Grant are plumbers by trade]. When they hear a strange noise, they try to find the source and replicated it, instead of running in the oposite direction.
So while they do go to locations with rumored paranormal activity, they are always very hesitant to brand the place "haunted", rather that there is activity, though not necessarily haunted.

Ghost Hunters International though, is a whole 'nother story.
I cringed while watching the first season. Their crew is infested with superstitious members [most notedly Barry], and many of their cast members are the "I'm feeling creeped out" type. I quite frankly think they're an embarassment to the original TAPS program.

As for all the "real" ghost hunters that complain about the TAPS crew and their slot on national television, I say they're jealous. They wish they could be on television, get national exposure and get treated like celebrity.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheColouredFlower

As for all the "real" ghost hunters that complain about the TAPS crew and their slot on national television, I say they're jealous. They wish they could be on television, get national exposure and get treated like celebrity

I don't believe that is true, the serious ghost hunters and investigators are doing it to help people who have no where else to turn and don't charge for it and are not looking for fame. These shows would be fine if they told the truth and didn't add all the hype to hook watchers.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I love sitting there watching and waiting for nothing to happen.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

reply to post by IzzycomesinPeace

It does effect the honest serious researchers, especially their credibility. I read somewhere recently, sorry don't remember where, that shows like Ghost Hunters who use and show all the electronic equipment are misleading the public, some serious researchers say they don't need all that equipment to detect the presence or see ghosts or unusual phenomena plus it leaves too much room for fraud.

I can understand the feud between the gadget team and the traditional team. I say whatever gets the job done.

I'm personally very harsh on the topic of empaths and psychics and the such. I don't believe in it at all, people like Silvia Brown make my skin crawl. So when I hear things like "serious researchers say they don't need all that equipment" I think, "so we're just supposed to take your word for it that there's a ghost of a little girl here?" I say I need proof, and while we may never get proof, I'd rather see people on the telly with machines and meters trying to get some little shred of proof than to take the word of some 'sensitive' person I may or may not have ever heard before. Juuuuust sayin'...

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Serious researchers and those who help people are not known and don't want to be known, they just quietly go about doing what they do, why do you assume everyone wants to famous.

Same with empaths and psychics. there are many out there that the public are not aware of and never will be. Most those who are famous are phonies, in agreement with that, as far as Sylvia Brown, she is a piece of work, if you can't afford her outrageous fees, around 800 bucks an hour you go to her son for 400 bucks.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

What's the average IQ in the united states?

Half of the population are even dumber then that.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

You're right. The TAPS team sold out. There first season they seemed genuine because it looked like they were trying to help people and they rarely came up with evidence. It was refreshing because it seemed honest. The more ratings and money they got the more it became fake and all about entertainment. I at first thought in this thread that you were being a little harsh on these shows... but now that I see your side of it. I'm starting to realize your point.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

To answer your question the average IQ in the US is 100. The average IQ in the world is 110. LOL! sorry off topic..but you asked a question that I actually knew. So I wanted to be a smarty pants.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

As for all the "real" ghost hunters that complain about the TAPS crew and their slot on national television, I say they're jealous. They wish they could be on television, get national exposure and get treated like celebrity

I don't believe that is true, the serious ghost hunters and investigators are doing it to help people who have no where else to turn and don't charge for it and are not looking for fame. These shows would be fine if they told the truth and didn't add all the hype to hook watchers.

I don't understand, who says TAPS members and the like aren't serious about what they do? I mean, they must be passionate about it if they travel and [for lack of better word] neglect their families to go ghost hunting after working a standard 40hr week job. If you've ever watched the show they have priority cases [ones that involve familes scared to stay in their houses, harm to children, etc] for people who honestly don't know how to deal other than to call TAPS. I'm sure they don't do it for free [they DO have to have some way to pay for gas and equipment] I can't imagine it would be some ridiculous fee, though don't quote me on that one, its not like they ever business talk on television.
As far as hype, I'm sure that's Syfy working their advertising. As a viewer, when I see cast memeber Steve flinch or hollar, I can guess that he's more likely responding to a rogue spider than a ghost [he hates spiders], and I know they're not going to find some spectacular being materializing in front of them. Syfy doesn't do the shows for free, and they certainly need the viewers to keep the program on air.

[BTW: I haven't had this much fun defending and arguing about something in quite a while! ^-^]

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I used to like Ghost Hunters when they first aired. They at least seemed genuine then. They definitely don't seem genuine now. Watch episodes from the first season and compare them to newer episodes. The show has been destroyed, not to mention that Jason now says places are haunted just because he heard a knock. He would have never done that before. I guess money talks.

Ghost Adventures is starting to remind me of Most Haunted. Although, admittedly Ghost Adventures is far more entertaining. Those dudes are hilarious, and so phony it just makes me laugh. Good on them for making millions, though.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

They are def. passionate about the money. Have you ever seen how much it costs just to go see them in one of those fan meeting type things? I won't deny that they have a passion for ghost hunting...but their passion for money and entertainment seemed to grow bigger than the ghost hunting itself. I mean they do have families and you can't blame them for wanting more money to have a better life for them and their family. But that doesn't make it any better for the researchers who put a lot of time, money, and effort into this out of passion and spreading knowledge. They put a lot into what they do and because of these shows their credibility is questioned routinely.

I believe thats where the investigators are coming from...and frankly I agree with them. That would piss me off too.

Edit: I left something out. The shows don't accurately show how much work goes into each investigation. They make it seem like any idiot with a camera can do it. Openmind has a thread that explains a little bit more of what they do.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

His post gave me a new kind of respect for these investigators.

Oh also, have you been watching them this season? When was the last time you saw them investigate a home?...yeah... and how much time they put into their show and tending to their fan base...They obviously don't work a 40 hr week as plumber's anymore. Why would they? They are making loads off the show! I know I wouldn't be working as a plumber if I had my own show I made tons of money from.
edit on 5-11-2010 by IzzycomesinPeace because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-11-2010 by IzzycomesinPeace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
OMG! Is anyone watching Ghost Adventures right now? The opening was absolutely ridiculous! Bahahaha!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I somewhat agree with you topic creator. For instance there are literally times where I can catch the TAPS team LYING. Like "did you just see that dude?" and then one of them would respond "yea" or something to that extent. You can tell in their voice/ their expression that they are lying. Sometimes I do not doubt if some of the things they hear and see are of animals (such as rodent or other small animals.)

And some of the stuff is just there as filler. And its obvious why. Because if you had 43 minutes of just actual evidence, I do not think there would be more than 15 episodes of this stuff. But they have over 100 episodes.

but most of their evidence is legit though. Can't argue with some of the evidence at all.
edit on 5-11-2010 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Well, then I have a higher IQ than the world average. LOL! How's that for being a smarty pants!

Although, you may not agree.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nutella

Well, then I have a higher IQ than the world average. LOL! How's that for being a smarty pants!

Although, you may not agree.

I bet you're a smartypants! My IQ is a little bit higher than 110 but not by much..so I'm pretty much average! Either way we won't fooled by those misleading Ghost shows!
I don't know I had to some how figure out how to make this comment on topic!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I am a "real" paranormal investigator and nothing could be further from the truth my friend. For a "real" paranormal investigator, what matters is the work, advancement of the field, and the search for the truth. Our genuine disdain for the "paranormal" shows has nothing to do with jealousy or the hunger for wanted celebrity. We have been fighting for credibility in the eyes of legitimate scientific arenas for years, in hopes that they would send a nod our way and recognize the effort and progress. And in doing so, maybe be convinced to lend their expertise to the research. But shows like "Ghost Hunters" not only does nothing to help the credibility, it actually damages the credibility built thus far by many paranormal investigation groups. It gives false impressions of investigation methods and downplays the efforts of those actively participating for the sake of network drama and ratings, it is exploitation, many times a misinterpretation of the paranormal field and the paranormal investigator.

The exploitation and the misinterpretation lead to a lack of credibility. Maybe considering what the show has become, it should be retitled "Ghost Debunkers" not "Ghost Hunters". At least that is a more accurate representation of their methodology. And that is fine if that is where your intentions lie, but don't make an entire field of study and its investigators take the heat as you spear-head its representation and gospel for your own personal monetary gain or agenda. Because if it weren't for the progress that we have made over the years honestly representing the paranormal field, these gentlemen would still be working full-time at Rotor-Rooter..no $300 seminar appearances, no book deals, and definitely no network contracts to bring balance to their conscience from the lose of their personal sense of honor. Funny how money, celebrity, and fame seem to do that very thing.
edit on 5-11-2010 by openmind444 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

On-topic is relative. You see, this is on-topic, simply because it deals with the topic currently at hand between you and I.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Of course all of these types of television are produced for entertainment purposes. Personally, I feel that perhaps some of the "evidence" captured is possibly that of legitimate paranormal activity, while much of it is actually hoaxed, staged, misidentified as paranormal, or simply exaggerated for entertainment purposes.

Having investigated a location multiple times prior to Ghost Hunters filming an episode at a specific location--Amos J. Blake House Museum--I can say for certain that it was fairly obvious that the history and intensity of possible paranormal activity was exaggerated, and that "evidence"--in my opinion--was probably staged.

Still given the above, there are some reasons why some teams of paranormal investigators do NOT hate these television shows, as well as the acknowledged reasons they may hate them.

Reason to like them if you are a real life ghost hunter:

1. They have increased the popularity of the paranormal. There is no doubt that--in general--they have raised awareness of paranormal activity in general, perhaps increasing the acceptance of this as a real human experience that occurs with startling frequency and that these experiences deserved to be examined. This has probably resulted in opportunities for teams of ghost hunters to procure more investigations then they would have otherwise.

2. For the general public experiencing such phenomena, it is relatively easy to find a team of ghost hunters. In fact, one could say that you can find a team right around the corner if you need their services. This certainly wasn't the case prior to the popularity of Ghost Hunters. Many, many groups will state that they formed as a direct result of their exposure to this--and other--television shows. Teams of ghost hunters perhaps face greater competition for investigations--though personally I don't view it as competition--but again, this has probably increased the opportunity to conduct investigations.

3. Many ghost hunting teams have capitalized on the popularity of such television shows to run ghost hunting stores, organize workshops and seminars, radio shows, form ghost hunting tours, and other such activities that may generate revenue to finance their activities.

4. Business owners, especially owners of potential haunted hotels, restaurants, and other tourist attractions are getting wise to the probability that being haunted is good for business, thus probably increasing the possibility of any specific team of ghost hunters getting access to investigate such a location.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with the original post and have ranted and raved about some of the points made, but when I look at the big picture, there are some positives to these television shows that directly benefit those groups of people who are involved in investigating the paranormal.

Bobby Elgee; Sights Unseen Paranormal

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Ive never seen ghost hunters, but in the uk we have 'most haunted', consider yourselves lucky.

edit on 12-11-2010 by neonitus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join