It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question About the Search Function

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
My question is related to the search results we get.

It appears to me that the list of search results is not organized by the date of the last post on the searched topic.

So what is the basis? Is it supposed to be relevance?

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Mary Rose

I have no idea, sorry, but I would like to say that Google Search has an advanced search function, which allows you to choose how the stuff is sorted, that may be a better option than the custom search on site.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by iamaperson

Can I use it to search this site?

The reason I'm asking is that I need a good way to search before I start a new thread.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Yes, go to advanced search, there is a field "Search within a site or domain:"
Add

www.abovetopsecret.com...
to that box, and that will limit the search to the forums here.
edit on 1-11-2010 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

Sorry, the code function does not work properly here...
edit on 1-11-2010 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Thank you!!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

edit on 11/1/2010 by Mary Rose because: Remove post posted on the wrong thread.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

I agree with iamaperson.
I got this tip from another poster which works really well. In its normal search mode you can just begin the search field with site:abovetopsecret.com followed by your search criteria. It lists them in the order you're looking for and you can specify relevant time frames from the left column if needed. The advanced search will give you even greater power if you need it. I've found quite a few difficult to find old threads using Google.

Also, the search function from the upper blue bar in ATS brings up a multi-field search which seems to give you better results than the single field one that's displayed on most pages. A mod suggested that option to me once.

As long as we're on the subject I'll throw in another tip I've learned along the way. Searching for titles, if it's an article you're looking for, is usually useless since different media organizations often use different ones. Searching by specific, distinguishing, keywords will sometimes work just fine for a recent thread to show up within the ATS multi-field search.

There's some options and advise for you. Good luck searching!

edit on 11/1/2010 by Three_moons because: it needed an edit

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Three_moons

Thanks! Now I've got some new stuff to try out.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

You're welcome. Have fun.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Three_moons
In its normal search mode you can just begin the search field with site:abovetopsecret.com followed by your search criteria. It lists them in the order you're looking for and you can specify relevant time frames from the left column if needed.

Using Google as you describe above, and after getting the search results, using that left column to click on "Latest," is working like a charm for me. Now it's easy to check what's already out there before starting a new thread.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Glad it's working out for you.
In my ATS dreamland everyone would be as conscientious as yourself about starting duplicate threads. At least there's some people there.

new topics

top topics

join