It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would the discovery of alien life do to the worlds respective space agencies ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
If it were announced tomorrow that life has been discovered elsewhere in the galaxy how would the worlds respective space agencies change , if at all?

Would we see a coming together in attempt to combine resources or would each nation strive to work on there own ?

Would such an announcement change policy instantly , would the signal greates goal of all space agencies be to reach the planet in question ?

What are your thoughts on how the worlds space agencies change the day life is found elsewhere ?

How would policy change ?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
If it were announced tomorrow that life has been discovered elsewhere in the galaxy how would the worlds respective space agencies change , if at all?

Would we see a coming together in attempt to combine resources or would each nation strive to work on there own ?

Would such an announcement change policy instantly , would the signal greates goal of all space agencies be to reach the planet in question ?

What are your thoughts on how the worlds space agencies change the day life is found elsewhere ?

How would policy change ?

Honestly, do we really need proof to discover that there is advanced alien life outside of this planet throughout the universe with the universe being infinite?

I guess what I am trying to say is, we don't need proof, we already know it for certain. It is just a matter of time before we will be living completely in space ourselves.
edit on 30-10-2010 by HumanMeatsuit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
is it just me or is there more alien threads tonight more so than normal anyways to answer you those agencies would either dissolve because they have lied to us for so long now forced to tell the truth about what they have known up to now. to survive those agencies would have to become civilian

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I'd say that aliens being discovered would be either bad or good. We could never know until they came down and showed us what they are gonna do. If they are light years ahead of us in every way then I doubt that they would really help us very much. I always thought that if they were that much more intelligent that they would most likely wipe us out, use us as slaves somehow, take our resources, eat us or something of that nature. But I guess if they were less vicious version of Intelligent aliens they may help us a little but we would have to earn their respect for the things they would teach us. We would most likely not get their newest stuff so that they would always have the upper hand just in case of terrorist lol.

But if we found aliens that were not as advanced as earth than the roles above would probably be reversed. It all really depends on what type of alien they are and whats on their agendas the possibilities are endless I'd say.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Their budgets would inflate suddenly. I think the greatest immediate concern would be one of defense, once we realize that we aren't the only ones playing the game, or rather that we can no longer pretend that we are.
edit on 30-10-2010 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Let's not rule out the discovery of a " life sustaining planet " . This too would be alien life , even if it wasn't filled with intelligent life the drive would be almost the same .

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by HumanMeatsuit
Honestly, do we really need proof to discover that there is advanced alien life outside of this planet throughout the universe with the universe being infinite?

The Universe is large but it is not infinite. It's 14 billion years old. Also infinity isn't a real number. It's just a concept of a number that's too large for us to fathom. Truth is that we have no idea what lies beyond the boundaries of our Universe. It could very well be nothing at all. No space-time. As astrophysicist Jana Levin put it, travelling along the outer boundary of the universe could simply be like travelling along the inside of a balloon. We are trapped inside the by curvature of our own space-time. If you travel in one direction for long enough, you will end up back where you started. That is simply not infinite.

IRM

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by RayTheWizardLiotta

you all have such a narrow vision of the universe. do you asume there is only one or two races of aliens that are so advanced as to only help us Minimally? infinite is infinite. the universe started from a single point but is ever expanding from our perspective it is 14 billion years old but the universe is becoming infinite a multiverse infact so logically, what ever you can think of must exist somewhere out there and I know I can think of alot. how about you?. what about older races that don't want to see us make the same mistakes they did as they evolved. older races who would be more than willing to assist us in our evolution. they must exist out there, somewhere in the night...

edit on 30-10-2010 by gaurdian2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-10-2010 by gaurdian2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by gaurdian2012

If they are an advanced race that will help us evolve, the aliens would probably want to make sure we are responsible and humanity as a whole has not shown that to date. So this is why I say they would start out with minimal help. Would you give all your information to a race that has so much violence and war attached to them? Eventually we may be able to gain the highly evolved race of elders respect but only time will tell. I agree that they are out there but maybe we have not shown our true potential yet.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Maybe the agencies work together, but it would be shallow. Look at the UN. Nothing gets done properly. Squabbling and rivalry's get in the way. So goes it.
edit on 30-10-2010 by born2BWild because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by RayTheWizardLiotta

ok you make a good point perhaps not the race as a whole but select individuals who are more than ready and willing to handle there great gifts

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I think that would depend (a little) on who made the discovery, because if it was one of those agencies then things wouldn't be exactly the same as if the discovery was made by someone else.

But I don't think it would change much, the world's space agencies already work together in most of the bigger missions, so I guess they would probably reinforced that cooperation for specific missions targeted at newly discovered alien life.

And even if that alien life appeared in the shape of a higly advance race (or races) that would help us I don't think the space agencies would stop their work, because then we would have a new point of view of the universe (the alien's point of view) but what we need is our point of view, adapted to our way of thinking.

But it would be an interesting thing to watch.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Well, I think there would be a lot of dishonesty and disinformation concerning the extraterrestrial life from the start. The impact of the discovery would be downplayed and denied to the point of nonexistence. I would go as far as to speculate that there would be portions of society that wouldn't even be aware of the extraterrestrial life, even in first world nations, thanks to American Idol (or Jersey Shore or whatever). The countries that have space programs would continue on with their "public" space programs using antiquated technology, while all technological breakthroughs, be they home grown or (intentionally or otherwise) extra-terrestrially assisted, would be applied to secret, quasi-private space programs which would be firmly attached to the military industrial complex. This would be essential to keep the public's interests firmly focused on resource and economic wars that maintain the current power structure, and it would also facilitate the complete avoidance of any controversy concerning ownership and exploitation of extraterrestrial real estate, due to the fact that there would "officially" be no way to actually acquire that real estate.

Or something like that.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Alien life in the universe? Wait a minute, if this was possible, then there would really be a God and the space agencies of this world would be like government and media, LIARS.

top topics

join