It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Will End in Five Billion Years, Physicists Predict

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Time Will End in Five Billion Years, Physicists Predict

news.nationalgeographic.com

Our universe has existed for nearly 14 billion years, and as far as most people are concerned, the universe should continue to exist for billions of years more.

But according to a new paper, there's one theory for the origins of the universe that predicts time itself will end in just five billion years—coincidentally, right around the time our sun is slated to die.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I found this article pretty interesting, and vastly different than the usual theories that have come out over the years.
Looks like we may be screwed sooner than we thought...Thought you might want to know.

My only question is can a race....(namely ours)...escape into another universe, or are we cosmologically speaking, about to bite the bullet?

Enjoy!

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This is really bad news and now I'm worried! We have scientist that have no idea how time works but they can tell us when time will stop......

On second thought, I'm not so worried....

Rich
edit on 29-10-2010 by Oouthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I suppose that's a possibility but....

Time is not a physical, or actual concrete entity.

Time is a mental construct that man has devised to make sense out of his environment.

I think that sentience and awareness are what decides if "time" exists; Not the physical existence of matter.
edit on 29-10-2010 by whaaa because: clairification

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I realize that we all need to be mindful of the future.... but 5 billion years is a really long time for us right now to act like this is a big deal...

My only question is can a race....(namely ours)...escape into another universe, or are we cosmologically speaking, about to bite the bullet?

About to bite the bullet? Really? I think we have figure out how to deal with wars, the threat from nuclear weapons and possibility that an asteroid will wipe us out in the next millennium before we start worrying about escaping into another universe 5 billion years in the future.

Sorry but the concern showed so far about this cracks me up.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wisintel

Well, at least you got the joke.
That's all that matters.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20
reply to post by wisintel

Well, at least you got the joke.
That's all that matters.

give him a break. he has 5 billion years to 'get it'. but that may not be enough time. lol

if we truly do only have 5 billion years to go, dont worry about it. none of well be here. enjoy this ride and and enjoy life i say.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

John Roach for National Geographic News Published March 22, 2010

This article is 5 months old, it concerns an event that may or may not happen it 5 billion years, and it has already been discussed here on ATS in may threads.

How is it breaking alternative news?

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
They can't seem to predict what the weather will be like a week from now so I don't see how they can predict what is going to happen 5 billion years from now. Anyway, humans will be long gone from this planet by then so who cares.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I believe in the Holographic Universe, and that we exist in Infinity. Time is a program, along with gravity, the player is your mind. No Time, is what happens when the veil lifts. Everything that is, was and will be, simultaneously and as everything in Infinity is Infinite, that means an Infinite number of you, and Family/consciousness. This universe will always exist at one point or another in No Time, and indeed if it would be like a system playing many dvds, and they would continue to play.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
how the hell did this guy become a physicist. any monkey can say anything will happen in billions of years.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

That;s great. I just wish someone could predict the NFL games for this Sunday.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Pure garbage. Time itself is a perceived notion to us and it will end when we end. What does science know about the universe when we refuse to even explore the capacity of the condensed space that is our minds.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I predict mankind will bite the dust long before that time. So none of our future generations will need to worry about that.

On a side note they will need to worry about when mankind destroys itself though the decisions mankind makes.

Raist

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

i thought time is infinite also the time is relative to the observer 5 billion years from now

i wont be around then and this county will not even be aorund in the next 2 years

the end is nigh!!!!!!!!!!!

until that fateful day im gonna continue doing what i have been doing

peace

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I think the guys in these theoretical sciences are just a bunch of bimbo's making up things as they go most of the time...they act as if their far out theories are the truth and nothing but the truth, because science is never wrong (lol)...this is just another useless piece of information I'm going to shove in my temporal trash can, as they are obviously wasting their time researching the dumbest things and can hardly provide proof for it...why not do something more relevant to our times rather than make a 5 billion year prediction, key word - prediction...

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Time is a mental construct that man has devised to make sense out of his environment.
I think that sentience and awareness are what decides if "time" exists; Not the physical existence of matter.

Thank you!!

Time was created to give value to something that is without value, without measure.
It's not linear.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Well...

First. Those scientists are idiots.

Second. I'm pretty sure our time will have come to a complete stop within the next hundred years.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Mental construct or not, it is used to describe a very real phenomena. And we can manipulate that phenomena (although slowly) with gravity and relative velocities.

top topics

join