It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The evil eye (nVidia = Invidia = evil eye)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I am not saying that following would mean anything, but maybe it is of some interest. Most people - especially those fond in gaming - know nVidia, the graphics circuit vendor. Well, think about it's logo, the eye (would've posted the logo but the media upload seems somehow borked ATM, or I couldn't figure out the new way to operate it). Anyway, it is of some curiosity that nVidia appears somewhat similar to Invidia, which is an allegory of an evil eye.

In Latin, invidia is the sense of envy or jealousy, a "looking upon" associated with the evil eye, from invidere, "to look against, to look at in a hostile manner.
Reference (wikipedia)

The Evil Eye -- mal occhio -- truly exists, & modern western culture has so deeply repressed all knowledge of it that its effects overwhelm us -- & are mistaken for something else entirely. Thus it is free to operate unchecked, convulsing society in a paroxysm of Invidia.
Reference (Hakim Bey)

I wonder if nVidia corp. has chosen their name and logo unpurposefully, however I doubt it. It might've been inside joke, but it might also be something else. Pure coincidence is hardly a possibility. Why does any company want to choose such name and meaning for their company? Evil Eye? Well, as I said, it could be that it won't be of any significance..

Does anybody have any information on this?

-v
edit on 28-10-2010 by v01i0 because: 995

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Well they are a graphics firm.

Eyes (working ones) tend to receive visuals.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

Sorry I couldn't resist.
I searched for info and found this picture.

That's an evil eye.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Haha

Indeed. Must be Cheney's nephew or something.

Anyway, I found above (OP) finding odd. It is not very good advertisementing for the company when revealed. Now the evil eye is watching me from my computer (yes, I have nVidia too).

Sauron: "You cannot hide. I see you."

-v
edit on 29-10-2010 by v01i0 because: 123

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
They have the logo of an eye because the name of the company means eye. Not that complicated, lol.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

The name means "evil eye" to be precise. Read the OP.

-v

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

I know, and they have a picture of an eye as a logo. What is so weird about that?
They probably wanted a good name for their gfx cards, remembered back to high school hearing the world "Invidia" remembering it meant evil eye, thought the name sounded good, then created a logo to match the name.

OR, they have listening devices and cameras inside their GFX cards that can see through your computer tower and sends your activities to the FBI.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
reply to post by v01i0

They probably wanted a good name for their gfx cards

So evil eye is good? I would imagine contrary

Well, as I said in OP, that it propably doesn't mean anything, but who knows? If I were responsible for picking a name for company, I wouldn't pick one with such connotations, because it may effect the sales once revealed to public at large.

And about the last lines of your post... To FBI? I dunno. But to someone? Maybe?

-v

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Probably because their products are so good that they attract an evil eye. Or something to that effect.

In before someone talks about the Illuminati or whatever.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Maybe.

Although I have to disagree that their products would be so good. In fact, my previous nVidia card almost caused my computer to burn when the temperature raised to 141 C before I smelled the smoke. Glad I was awake and ready to react to the threat - and that happened when windows was idling (no heavy graphical softwares running whatsoever).

-v
edit on 29-10-2010 by v01i0 because: 185

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Also, the evil eye bought voodoo. I am of course referring that first consumer level 3d-accelerators, namely the voodoo graphics PCI -card.

All this sounds peculiarly "evil". Does the resonance of evil sell better or why such choises of name/brand?

-v

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by v01i0
Does the resonance of evil sell better or why such choises of name/brand?

-v

I'd say so, yes. Violent video games and movies also sell better. People crave evil at this moment, not sure why.

new topics

top topics

join