It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found a piece of something this morning.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
First I would like to apologize if this is in the wrong place. I posted in general chit chat to see where this topic should go and I had two suggestions for this particular area so I put it here.

I live out in the middle of pretty much nothing. Sometime this is a curse but at other times I would not trade it for the world. I am surrounded by many open fields, vast areas of woods and lots of pastures. I like to go walking in the pastures after heavy rains because I found several arrow heads and tomahawks in the past. It seems like after it rains the top soil gets washed away sometimes revealing pretty neat items. The pasture closest to me is great because it is public land that is maintained by the state. They just cut it and bailed the hay so the grass is really short.

Like I said before I like to walk in this particular one because of the items I have found in the past. The winter time is really great because they plow it all up and turn the earth over.

It literally poured down rain for about 3 hours last night and since it was a substantial rainfall I figured I would go exploring to see if I can find anything like I have done many times in the past. I did not find much of anything and I started to head back to the house when I caught a glimpse of something shiny. When I first saw the object I thought it was an old green mason jar or something. I started to dig around it and it was not a jar at all. I have no idea what it is. It looks like a giant piece of glass or something but I have never seen glass this thick or that large unless you go visit and aquarium somewhere and on top of that it is colored. I dug around for more but this is the only piece I found.

It is green in color and then on one side it starts changing into blue and turquoise. It looks like it has been smacked with a tiller a few times because it has some chips in it. It also has air bubbles in it as well as some black dots.

I have no idea on what it is or where it came from and was wondering if anybody else can explain it or might know what it is.

ImageShack Link
Edit: Screwed up the picture
edit on 28-10-2010 by Rhadamanthus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Looks like the stones my Mother has in her 'fake fireplace'..... she has that colour and also red/orange ones.... in fact it look identicle to that

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
What are the approximate dimensions of the piece?

Please.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I have seen similar things dug up in the texas dirt. We thought it to be glass that formed from pressure and heat to the sand. I am not sure that is what you have but it might be a good place to start.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

If you look at the picture I will measure it as it sits.

5" long
3" high
3" wide at its widest point. (Bottom)
2.5" wide at the top

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Looks like a green piece of obsidian.

I originally thought it was Helenite but that is synthetic.

edit on 28-10-2010 by DJM8507 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I just have to say this,

Its kryptonite oh noes!

But really, It looks strange.

Maybe put some magnets near to see if it is magnetic??

Strange indeed, but interesting. Very cool in my honest opinion.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Rhadamanthus

Other than the bubbles which can be seen in your photo, are there any inclusions to be seen in the piece? Discolorations or fuzzy opaque spots?

CX

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
No idea, but i bet Superman is filling his pants as we speak!

Nice find.

I wonder if meteorites can come down that clean? I was watching a programme yesterday on meteorites and these guys were out looking for them. They found a lot but they were all dark rock types.

Hopefully someone here will be a rock expert.

Great find and thanks for sharing.

CX.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
My grandmother had something like that which she used as a doorstop.

Since I was a kid, I pretty much though everyone had one that they used as a doorstop.

Unfortunately, I never asked anyone what it was or where it came from. Maybe sometime I might ask my brother if he knows anything about it when I get a chance.
edit on 28-10-2010 by Junkheap because: Left out a letter of a word.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Their is a section on the bottom that looks like it has salt or something in it. Hard to explain. Let me get my camera with a macro lens and take a shot of it.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
My grandparents used to have something exactly like that. It was a huge chunk of green glass. It looked just like that but was a uniform green color and had the same bubbles in it. My guess is it's natural glass. As to how it was created I don't know, maybe a product of ancient volcanic activity? The piece my grandparents had must have weighed 10 pounds. They also found a large chunk of petrified wood too. Which I hear could be worth alot of money.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
My opinion is that it might be some kind of Clinker, that created some time ago after a lighting strike and was surfaced due to the rain.

The fact that at your photo are bubbles trapped inside indicates that during the liquification from minerals, air trapped inside, which leads me to the following explanation.

When lightning strikes the ground, it creates Clinkers. These are carbon deposits similar to glass that form the structure of a tree, with loads of branches spliting off from the main trunk. The carbon (or glass) is formed due to the high temperature focused on the point where the lighting bolt earths into the ground. The sand and other minerals in ground are liquified where the electricity passes through. Clinkers can often be found and bought in good gem stores.

Hope that helps a bit.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
It's an emrald and yes your rich if you don't believe me send it here and so if I become rich. I would take it to a jewler but don't tell anyone where you found it and don't you forget where you found it

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
It looks very very clean to have been buried, or partially buried.

Typically, glass, when buried for a long period of time will sustain scratches to the surface of it giving it a frosty texture. This has none of that. Also, if it were dinged by a plow at some point, the tiny cracks in it would have filled in with dirt and/or sediment. There is none of that visible here. None of the scores or cracks in it have any visible trace of dirt at all.

I've seen a lot of melted down glass from soda & beer bottles being tossed into overnight campfires to know what a glob of melted glass looks like.

It looks like melted glass that has been partially shattered. It doesn't look like it is weathered at all, which glass usually does when buried either in whole or partially near the surface.

My question is...how is it so amazingly clean?
I seriously need this secret to apply to my bathroom tile & grout.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Looks like you found what is left after lightning strikes and turns some of the ground into glass. Usually, you would have to dig it up.

Very cool. I have always wanted to find one.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by sykickvision

Simply green and a tooth brush!

Edit: Here is a picture of some of the dirt I cant get off on the bottom.
Rock bottom

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I believe this is a piece of tourmaline, it comes in a variety of colors together and separate...

geology.com...

edit on 28-10-2010 by LuticiaRau because: bluemoone made me change the link for better access to the site, ;P

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I believe you may have found a very nice piece of tourmaline

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join