It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global food crisis forecast as prices reach record highs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Cost of meat, sugar, rice, wheat and maize soars as World Bank predicts five years of price volatility

Rising food prices and shortages could cause instability in many countries as the cost of staple foods and vegetables reached their highest levels in two years, with scientists predicting further widespread droughts and floods.

Mounting anger has greeted food price inflation of 21% in Egypt in the last year, along with 17% rises in India and similar amounts in many other countries. Prices in the UK have risen 22% in three years.

World wheat and maize prices have risen 57%, rice 45% and sugar 55% over the last six months and soybeans are at their highest price for 16 months.

It is getting much worse worldwide and I am wondering how long before it REALLY affects the US!! Every 2 weeks, when I do my major shopping, I have noticed items continue to go up - a few cents here....50 cents there - but I have been noticing this trend for a while now.

Being on a fairly basic income, I am unsure about the future for my mother & myself. Rent is going up!! Water goes up a couple of $$ each month, and electric?? Well, you all know how that is. We never have enough left - after utilities, bills, and food - to save a dime!!

I think we are in for much rougher times ahead and do NOT understand the talk of the economy being in 'recovery'. My household is NOT in any kind of recovery!!!!

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Found a thread related to prices going up in US in 2011......double the levels of 2010!!!!

Food Prices Expected to Rise Sharply

Geesh! As it stands now, in my household, we run out of money about 5 days before my next check comes in!! Plus, I have sold to the pawn shop most of my stuff worth anything - just have my earrings (which I am wearing) and a gold pendant I am thinking of giving the pawn shop this week. After that, it with be the diamond (small) earrings and everything we do not need will be gone!!!

So much for being 'middle class'!!

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I agree. Here in Canada the price of canned tomatoes doubled from last summer, our rent was just raised $50 a month and we use only $25 in electricity and once all the charges and taxes are added we end up paying $100.

I want to cry sometimes but the place we rent (got super lucky to find it last winter) at least has a huge garden and a well (not sure if the water is usable or not). So after all the hard work of harvesting and canning (I tell you it really was hard work).... I am not as angry as I could be. But do not know how I will heat the place if grid is gone. Maybe I will get lucky and find a better place with a fireplace that I could cook on.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Historically speaking, more revolts against the government are due to people not being able to afford food - so it is surprising that they would allow these prices to rise if they are to retain control. If you can't eat, you really have nothing to lose, so people *finally* take a stand.

The only motive I can think that would be behind this is to allow 'normal' food to sky rocket and then corporations like Monsanto can come in and 'save the day' with their genetically modified crap at dirt cheap prices.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Now would be the time for the US Govt. to stop subsidizing corn-farmers (for the corn syrup) and diversify the crops.

The whole food production industry is so messed up, massive Agri-Business runs town and can pretty much do what ever it wants - ie: dumping thousands of tonnes of grain into the ocean to keep prices high.

There is going to be a pinch alright.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Maybe it is time for us to resign and rent a land to plant something ,it seems that farmer is a prospective job.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I heard about the food prices rising sharply on the news last week, and gasped. I don't know how we are going to keep this up. Already we have cut our food budget by more than half as prices have risen, we grow a garden and what foods and spices we can, I can, I pickle, I dry spices and bury potatoes, but still we are having a hard time. Those veggies only last so long, then I have to start buying canned goods again. Recently I went and spent more money than usual stocking our freezer, a couple of days later, the fridge went out, we cooked up what we could but lost a lot too. I can't afford to replace all of it. Thank God I don't have any children to feed, I don't know how people do it anymore.

top topics

join