It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iWant iNeed iMust iDont Care

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Not sure why you mention Pentium's here, their Intel, not Apple... And, as an avid gamer for the last 20 years, multi-core pentiums blow multi-core AMD's clean out of the water. Apple doesn't even come close to either, anyone who games on a Mac is a pillock and probably only does so to try and be "different", when really they are falling for the marketing as much as anyone else.
I then went into a more technical discussion with him and, although he is tech savvy, he was aghast at the revelation that his £400 iPad was the same spec as a late 90's PC. Basically, Apple have found a way to re-sell old tech bu slapping a touch-screen interface on it and calling it new.
Considering that AMD was actually the first of the two to build a multi-core processor its sort of sad how far they've fallen. But I digress, back to the topic...

The only thing apple is really good at is convincing people that getting scammed is a great deal. Honestly, the only thing an ipad is good for is as a gps. A friend at adobe has one, and honestly that's pretty much all he uses it for. Only reason he bought it was for some experimental stuff for work.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Wow, I used to think I was the only person that thought Apple's products were completely pointless. Being the age I am, most people I know have iPods and iPads and iPhones, and I've said to people that they are pointless and a waste of money, I've said that they could get a laptop with the specs of an iPod Touch for about £50 in an antiques shop, but apparently I'm wrong because 'iPods are awesome'. I asked why and all I got was 'cos ur gay gtfo'. Even people that use Apple stuff have no reason for using it, they just want one to be like everyone else. Its the same with designer clothes and stuff like that.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
listen to zeelar,he stole the words from my mouth.
no problem with making good products,that are so loved that they become a trend,but only when that is justified.
apples wish of profitiiring from everything while seling you OLD TECHNOLOGY AND STOLEN IDEAS and telling you its innovation
ITS NOT INNOVATION
ITS NOT INNOVATION!

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Is this "I" thing also a subliminal message to become a egoistic arse? Memememememe nownownownownow....
edit on 27-10-2010 by cushycrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Techy

If you actually do a search on apple comebacks to comments apple users receive from windows users about their purchasing choices, the "witty retorts" are actually quite pathetic. They have no factual merit, and are about as childish as something a 7year old would call another classmate on the playground.

Example:
They Say: "Macs are more secure and don't have viruses!"
Reality: There are viruses for macs, virus makers want to reach the largest audience possible - which is windows. Hence why there are more viruses for windows. Derp. Also, windows is plenty secure - if you have common sense you don't even need virus protection 99% of the time.

They Say: "Macs don't crash or have errors like windows does - and they're easy to use."
Reality: Yes, as a programmer, I can promise you macs do in fact crash. The only difference is that when a mac crashes it doesn't tell you, imply that anything went wrong upon rebooting, or let you access any log showing errors easily. When a windows program stops responding it will let you know, a mac will just hang indefinitely, run freakishly slow, and pretend everything is ok.

I could go on... but those are the main arguments I hear.

Also, a common misconception is that Microsoft hates Apple. They're actually quite buddy buddy, and a few years ago they loaned Apple like $12mill to prevent them from having to file bankruptcy. A lot of Microsoft employees have iphones (since the windows phones is still coming out). The "Microsoft Enemy #1" is Google. Microsoft HATES Google.

edit on 27-10-2010 by zelaar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by leira7

Apple's were made in the U.S. back in the day. Then they moved the Powerbooks (notebooks) to China. Now everything is made in China. Last time I ordered one it was shipped directly by FedEx from the factory in China to my front door. I could practically smell the sweat of the slaves on the box.

The problem is, it is all made in China. All of our mass produced computers are made with slave labor. All of them.

Does anyone know if there is a computer company that has a more progressive attitude toward its workers and suppliers? I would give them my business if they existed.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

Build your own! AMD's and Intel chips are made in the US (Germany too in the case of AMD) and the various component parts tend to be made in high tech manufacturing plants as opposed to sweat shops. Only the assembly can be done by "slaves", which in all honesty you can do yourself and save a load of money.

I have a Intel Quad core, ASUS P5N-D mobo, 9800GT Nvidia card and 4GB RAM in my machine (plus a copy of Windows), built it myself last year and it cost me £700 and also included in the price is a 22" LG high def monitor! Whereas buying the same spec off the shelf from Dell or the like would set you back a hell of a lot more, probably double..
edit on 27/10/10 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Interesting post. I think the IT guy spelled out what the i stands for.

As for the selfishness of our race, well glad you pointed it out. However it would be more impressive if you also posted what you are doing to combat the issue. Maybe have some suggestions for others as well.

Tough to listen to someone critique others without have a suggestion for a solution.

I volunteer for two different charities. I give my time and money. I suggest to anyone who has similar feelings as the poster here to look up what charity you would like to help out the most.

Again, critiqueing without a solution.....bad form.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by zelaar

Ah yes, I've heard the 'Macs don't crash' one before. But I don't think people that say that even believe it, its just another excuse to support Apple because, really, there is no valid reason for Apple's stuff being good at all.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

Well, ok, although it somehow feels a little smug to list the things that I do...

Anyway... My current job is getting long termed unemployed into sustainable non exploitative employment... It’s a massive pay cut from what i was on when working for the big corporates but is much more satisfying to know that i am doing some good in the word.

I have an old Nokia phone that’s about 6 years old and constantly refuse the suggestions of friends, and random call centre people, to upgrade... Why should i upgrade when it works fine?

I do not buy Apple products... Nor any other company, that i am aware of, who supports unethical treatment of its staff or customer base.

I try to spread the message of love and also warn people of those that do wrong...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

My wife and I always buy fair trade food... We try our best to support our local small businesses; we prefer the small farm shops to the supermarket giants.

But, the most important thing of all, we teach our Children to have respect for the environment and the people of this world. Unfortunately these days it is almost impossible to do no harm at all... but you can at least try to minimise your impact on the world and others.

I am not perfect, not by a long shot, but i try.

Peace

edit on 27-10-2010 by Muckster because: fix broken link

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Techy

Don't get me wrong, I love hating on macs, but to be fair there are some benefits to owning a mac.

The main one is that if you break it - even slam it into your car door if its an iPad - you can get a free replacement most of the time. While I don't think that justifies the attitude or price tag, it is something that makes Apple stand out some, because its hassle free and you don't have to fight to get an unbroken product.

While a minor perk, the fact that Macs boot up much faster than many windows systems (varies - opposite can hold true), which is nice for the uber casual user, who doesn't do much beyond using the internet, watching movies, and writing papers.

Oh, and if you work in photography, you should have a mac because of reasons I can't remember... but since the artsy folks use it, that's sort of where the whole "trendy" image came from.

While I despise the whole iThis iThat iYourMom, its a very successful naming convention, and appeals to what people love most - themselves. Its disgusting, but brilliant. Marketing is something Apple HAS to do well in, considering how restrictive, and more expensive their product is compared to competition.

@Muckster - thanks for the info! It can be hard to keep track of who is and isn't ethical, and while I don't buy fair trade, I do what I can manage. Every little bit counts, right?

edit on 27-10-2010 by zelaar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I have never bought a single thing with the prefix "I" I intentionally avoid them to tell the truth.
It's a shame as the Apple design is kind of Bauhaus / minimalist a design school that I'm usually very attracted to, but I just don't feel that I want to align myself with Apples image.

That being said you can count the number of things that I actually own on the fingers of both hands, and the number of things I actually care if I have or not on one. I'm just not into possessions, never have been and probably never will.
Just earlier today I was driving in front of a guy in a Matt Black Ferrari Enzo and for a second I though "Wow I want one of those" then I though, "He's sitting in exactly the same traffic jam as me, in considerably more discomfort"

edit on 27-10-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

You sure about that?

Intel Opens Its First Chip Plant in China

On a serious note, it is only a matter of time. Also, some materials which are essential ingredient for LCD/TFT and plasma screens are only produced in China due to pollution their production causes. I can't remember which ones exactly

I once bought a Plextor DVD drive after five Chinese "regular" ones broke to later find out Plextor doesn't even produce anything anymore, they just re-label Chinese crap. So even when you buy some "made in USA" stuff, its probably just a label sold for five times higher price. Oh and they changed the DVD drive firmware signature so I can't even update it, the Plextor site is out of date and they offer no support while original Chinese manufacturer does
... the irony.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SassyCat
reply to post by stumason

You sure about that?

Intel Opens Its First Chip Plant in China

Dude, Murphy's sodding Law again....

You wouldn't believe the amount of times that happens...

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
iHate Apple products. Their products are over-hyped and over-priced. $600 for an iPad that you can't run more than one app at a time on? No thanks. I'll take a latop over that piece of crap any day.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
i am a Pod
i am not myself without a Phone
i need Tunes

I
Eye

top topics

<< 1   >>

join