It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iWant iNeed iMust iDont Care

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Anyone noticed how many i-this and i-that's there are around lately??

iPhone
iPod
BBC's iPlayer
Even an iTeddy

Anyone ever wondered why this letter was chosen?? Why "i" and not "a" or "c"

Nice little article here regarding this issue...

www.bbc.co.uk...

Branding expert Jonathan Gabay says...

"It's about the power of people. Them saying 'I want this; I want that. You're going to give me what I want on my terms'," says the head of marketing company Brand Forensics.

Wow... just Wow...

That is the sort of comment that marketing companies would have kept firmly behind closed doors 20 years ago...

He has basically admitted that the purpose of the "i" is to appeal to the selfish stuck up arrogant spoilt brats that most modern people are...

Do i care that iphone workers are jumping to their deaths due to poor working conditions??

No... because iWant

Apple Chief Defends China Suicide Factory

Do i care that children are working 18 hour days to manufacture my laptop??

No... because iLike

Apple admits using child labour

What a sad race we are... that we can boldly advertise and use such a negative human state (selfishness) with such pride and arrogance!!!

Am "i" the only one disturbed by this... ???

edit on 26-10-2010 by Muckster because: spelling

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
very good, im really happy that you brough this, because its true.
the selfshness of people has corrupted the world alot now,and its just horrible

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Let me put my 6 years in the IT industry to work...

i means "interactive"

But I see what you are saying, bud =)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Yeah I’ve heard that... but I’ve also heard it means internet and/or information... but its more to do with the power of the "i" when used singular, regardless of what they purport it to mean.

It’s the "i" that means "me"

Me me me me me me me...

Perfect reflection of modern society’s attitude to the world, in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
When i was setting up factories in Africa they would send the child workers home before the likes of M&S would visit.

They knew it was happening but what the eyes dont see i suppose. They only care about the unit cost of the production item.

Shameful.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
iStuff for the iSheep.

Regardless of whether or not 'interactive' is implied, it's freaking annoying to see a over. Every piece of electronics has a hole for your iPod to have sex with. Next thing you know it will be a 'bio-port' (shades of eXistenZ!)

iPod's are overpriced, un-intuitive, and just plain wrong imho. Hate to say it, but M$ Zune is a way better product, at least in my experience. I believe the 8GB ipod is going for some odd $130.00 CDN last I checked. Gee, a few years ago I bought a 120 GB Zune for just over $200.

Whatever, keep buying Pentiums just because MAXIMUM PC says it's the best. I have nothing useful to add so I may as well end my anti i rant.

PS the only good i product was the original iPad that was created on MAD TV, it at least comes with built in virus protection

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
isheep you sayd it! no problem following a trend if it was a good one.
but its just ridicilous,how can i buy an itouch when the newest update LETS ME CHANGE THE WALLPAPER FINNALY. it took them 3 generations of itouch to release an update that lets me change the wallpaper,it was bLACK until now

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
whoa, I totally had no idea that Apple used child labor, I don't know why, but I was seriously under the impression that they made all of their computers in the US. Why the hell was I thinking that? I feel dirty now for letting my wallet bend over for Steve Jobs

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
There is a misconception that almost everyone in our world are the Spoilt-Brat, me me me me me types.

It is only the last couple of Generations who are that way. The ones raised during the Disempowerment of Parents, with no boundaires, virtually no rules, certainly no home-based censorship to insure the kids only had age-appropriate media/games, etc.

The generations who are older were not Infected with this Disease, although some have succumbed to it due to being berated, minimized and left empty as parents, etc, so that they now seek everything they can for themselves.. kind of an If you can't beat them, join them thing.

[/end rant]

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Wierd,

Was just reading the latest post and an advert popped on Sky Crime channel.

Introducing the new iStubble !

The latest designer stubble shaver.

Crazy

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I love this thread, and this quote:

selfish stuck up arrogant spoilt brats

Yes we are, egoistic, self-centred, immature....

Many people are addicted to digital gadgets and are consumed by them. Some carry up to 3 cellphones... When first mobile phone with built-in camera came out I thought its dumb and never gonna sell... how foolish of me... every phone has a camera now. Eyes of the big brother are now everywhere

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Wow! This makes total sense why I dislike iPod iTunes and everything Apple.

I am the opposite of selfish, stuck up or anything like that. Makes so much sense!! Thanks for sharing OP.

I realized that could be taken for sarcasm. I didn't mean any sarcasm. I really am a very unselfish person.
edit on 10/26/2010 by dbloch7986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
iCould definitely see how it could have a subconscious effect too, as 'I' is related to 'myself' so when you see 'iPhone' you subconsciously perceive the 'I' in a sense related to yourself, as in you should have one.

But in a conscious way? You're 100% right. But it goes on all the time - child labour, rich countries cheating poor countries out of their resources, all that sort of stuff. Because whose gonna defend some little kid in China working 18 hours per day? Nobody, because nobody cares anymore. It isn't just Apple - Loads of sports brands use child labour too. But the worst thing is? People know about what goes on. Everybody knows. Even the governments. And what do they do about it? They do NOTHING. And they are allowed to do nothing. Why? Because if the governments let the rich, fat businessmen use little kids as slaves, nobody will stand up to them.

Well I think its about time we all stand up and say: iWon't Accept This.

It is only the last couple of Generations who are that way. The ones raised during the Disempowerment of Parents, with no boundaires, virtually no rules, certainly no home-based censorship to insure the kids only had age-appropriate media/games, etc.

Not all of this generation.
edit on 26/10/2010 by Techy because: Added the quote and last line

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Techy

Not all of this generation.

Yes, you are correct. I did generalise the comment.

Apologies for that.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

no your not the only one. there are many things in this field that i feel are disturbing, but this is what happens when greedy selfish people do everything they can to take advantage of the other greedy selfish people.

while ever we live in a world driven by profits, nothing will ever change, people masked behind their companies will always use methods that produce a bigger profit margin regardless of the harm/exploitation done to humanity.

some people say money is the root of all evil, i disagree and think profit fits that 'tag' better, money is fine on its own, but add profit and this is where you start to get cheap/child labour, exploitation of the earth and population/animals, and of course advertising that uses some questionable methods to convince us we must buy it.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
i think the imac kicked off the i-fad. originally the i in imac was to mean internet, it was gonna be like a mostly internet based machine, then it wasn't and i guess they just thought a random i sounded cool, it was a big hit and here we are today.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Here's my i-thoughts on the subject...

Marketing has zeroed in, fully, in our society on the id and ego... the most seductive of those "little voices" that we all possess. And it's a brilliant strategy because the "i-us", our id, is that same voice that convinces us to spend frivolously in the first place. This is the part of us that lets us make those deals with the devil that cause us to walk in the front door with a new PS3, or a new laptop simply because we saw it, while shopping for another purchase, and fell victim to our desire to have.

When I worked in retail sales - for a big box electronics company, I was taught many "tricks" - the first was to "sell to the wife as she makes the decisions", and the second was to "sell to the ego". Men are especially prone to making these kinds of ego based purchases. Tell a woman "Hey, guys really dig chicks who have this..." they don't respond. But tell a guy that chicks dig it? Insta-sale most of the time.

We are most certainly a "me me me" society, in nature. But I also have found that age tempers this urge. Grandpa isn't likely to buy an MP3 player that says "i-" anything. He's more apt to look for the best bargain, brand be damned.

So, in that, I find hope for the culture obsessed youth of today. As they age maybe the folly of "me me me" will eventually turn into a chorus of "us us us"

~Heff

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Ihonestly don't understand it. Remember when the first iphone came out? People were camping out in front of stores FFS.... Really? Camping out in front of a store to blow 500 bucks on a phone? I was really amazed at that. Then again you see it with video games and consoles as well. Stores like EB having midnight sales for highly anticipated games like GTA and consoles too, lines wrapped around the mall from closing till it reopened.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
not to mention that apple products are aimed towards people who don't have a firm enough understanding of computers and technology to realize they're being ripped off. Their products are overpriced, restrictive, and are handled by one of the most overbearing technological companies I've ever seen.

As for apple's ego, its through the roof. They make ludicrously erroneous claims, and brainwash so much of my generation into thinking their products are the second coming of Jesus. As a computer programmer, disgust would be a good way of describing my opinion of apple...

nauseous would be another descriptor for how I feel about other, actually respectable companies, jumping on the idiot bandwagon.

To be clear, I don't hate on people who like their products - most of them don't know better, or don't care. Its the narcissistic, freedom killing corporation that convinces people trendy is more important than freedom, flexibility, and choice that upsets me.
edit on 27-10-2010 by zelaar because: grammar fail

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by dl2one
Regardless of whether or not 'interactive' is implied, it's freaking annoying to see a over. Every piece of electronics has a hole for your iPod to have sex with. Next thing you know it will be a 'bio-port' (shades of eXistenZ!)

indeed... I always shy away from an electronic product that has an apple-product sex port. I despise Apple, not for using child labour or dodgy factories (they all do...) but simply because all their products suck, are pointless (iPad..what the hell...) and the fact you get idiots queing for days to get their hands on the latest gadget from them not because it's great, because they aren't, but simply because they think they have to get it. I hate the whole iFad...

iPod's are overpriced, un-intuitive, and just plain wrong imho. Hate to say it, but M$ Zune is a way better product, at least in my experience. I believe the 8GB ipod is going for some odd $130.00 CDN last I checked. Gee, a few years ago I bought a 120 GB Zune for just over $200.

Again, agreed.. I'd prefer a generic MP3 player over an iPod any day of the week. They are more useful and versatile than the locked down crap from Apple.

Whatever, keep buying Pentiums just because MAXIMUM PC says it's the best

Not sure why you mention Pentium's here, their Intel, not Apple... And, as an avid gamer for the last 20 years, multi-core pentiums blow multi-core AMD's clean out of the water. Apple doesn't even come close to either, anyone who games on a Mac is a pillock and probably only does so to try and be "different", when really they are falling for the marketing as much as anyone else.

My brother (a faddy show-off with too much money) got an iPad a few months ago and then showed it off at a family barbeque.

I quizzed him on it, asking things like "so, what does it do?" or "what's unique about it".

I got answers like "I can go on the internet" or "I can watch movies".

"But," I said "I can do that on my laptop".

"Ah" he said "But I have a touch screen and it's portable"..

"My laptop isn't? I can also play top games at full graphics..."

I then went into a more technical discussion with him and, although he is tech savvy, he was aghast at the revelation that his £400 iPad was the same spec as a late 90's PC. Basically, Apple have found a way to re-sell old tech bu slapping a touch-screen interface on it and calling it new.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join