It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I thought "internet spelling" was a no no.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
I simply think that this site should at least try to maintain SOME integity.

We need it when 'An Alien fed my dog gay cupcakes' and 'Obama is the devil' are the thread titles around here.

-m0r

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

GREAT reply!
How does adopting the lowest common denominator "equalize' anything?
Why should people be "equalized" anyway?
Jeez!!

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

OD, I can't even understand what that poster was saying to you other than they were slamming you.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I'll just leave this here.
edit on 26-10-2010 by umop apisdn because: link didn't work

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

To me this means that equality goes out the window, for traumatized, marginal, vulnerable people, and many ordinary, bread and butter folks that make up humanity, aren't the best writers, but they're real people and need to be heard as well.

I prefer good articles, to be well written, but exchanges of ideas, they just need to flow and be readable.

For example with my thyroid condition, I just write it out quickly. Then go back in edit after edit, to discover that I have dropped words, changed meanings, and lots of errors. But to sort it out ahead of time is too daunting, i can't do that, it would take hours to try and "organize" the piece.

I'm sure there are many, that need to just say things in the simplest ways. Short forms work best for them.

I'm really about equality, turning the pyramid upside down and giving a voice to the vulnerable ones.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I think you're missing the point. You don't need big words to get your point across, just full words. You mention "flow". Nothing disrupts the flow of a post more than having to translate "ur" for "your".

edit on 26-10-2010 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Though you might mean well, you are really telling people they don't need to try.
Many things are accomplished through struggle, simply telling people that whatever they do is good enough encourages mediocre thought and even ignorance.
Life is tough! Everything is not equal?
Why on Earth would you think it should be?

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Maybe I've seen it a bit so it just reads quick, but that is more about the culture, going back to flexibility to me. But again this is from my perspective when I'm reading, not anothers. Others do have their own and should, for we would not be learning to get along if we were all alike in every way.
edit on 26-10-2010 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
PLease read Harrison Bergeron by Vonnegut.
Equality is not the answer in this case!

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Oh come on.
I didn't ever say 'no abbreviations" did I?
Why split hairs? It's obvious from the example i posted exactly what I mean.
I have never been the grammar or spelling police, I simply think that this site should at least try to maintain SOME integrity.
edit on 26-10-2010 by OldDragger because: (no reason given)

Then where is the line drawn?

What if someone else thinks that using abbreviations dumbs down this website...and uses you as an example?

If I say "lol" am I being guilty of dumbing down ATS? What about "imo"? What if I use apostrophes instead of spelling out both words?

All I am saying is that everyone has a different line...who's line should we choose to enforce?

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by umop apisdn

Great find and from Mr Fry too!

I still think he would have trouble with sentences which are more difficult to read due to their contemporary fashion of utilising a vast shortening of words via numbers or the missing out of letters being the forefront of the motivation rather than the message behind it (particularly when it comes down to colloquialisations).

But overall a good way of presenting why language, and again particularly the English language, must grow, adopt and adapt to the times.

I wish I could star you but we're in the BBQ section

-m0r

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I don't like i-shorthand either, i actually have to sit for an extra amount of time to try and decipher half of it.

It's good for short SMS messages on the mobile, but that is it.

This is a discussion site so i think it is right to encourage full English.

I use Firefox because it has an in-built spell-checker, but even then, we still have the difference between UK English and US English to confuse the issue.

i-shorthand just takes the confusion to another stratosphere IMHO.

Cosmic...

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

I only read the Wiki on it. But thats different, as it reflects on dumbing down society. To me this seems to be supportive of free enterprise versus equality venus type society. Implying that without differences and inequality we would not have excellence, or in the case of the satire, a self appointed fascist. The remake of this turned it into inviting the one who couldn't be handicapped to a secret organization for the unhandicapped elites.

There is alot of different themes I could pull out of that. I pulled out that this was apologetic discourse for free enterprise and the pyramid system and suggesting that grass roots venus projects would not produce excellence. Another might see that there is a need to set high standards, or everyone is dragged down.

That depends on your opinions and what motivates you, what you might read into it.

The pyramid has to be inverted.

As to the abbreviations, overall rules may try to equalize too, I can see that as well, but I wouldn't be hardball about it.

That looks like an interesting fiction by the way, it might be worth reading.
edit on 26-10-2010 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I understand it when you're sending a text message or posting on twitter because those have very short character limits. The idea there I guess is to squeeze as much information as possible into the limited field.

We don't have 140 character limits here.

My honest belief is that if you're intent is to post something that you want others to take seriously you should at least put in the effort to make the text readable. The thirty seconds, or ten keystrokes you might be saving could very well cause readers to lose interest.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
i think it has a lot to do with the way one does work and the fact we are a world site, not everyone can spell or know the English language , and if you use the "text speak" every day it just becomes habit, so we have to deal with it, i for one do not do text , like most of you i have no clue as to what the person is saying or telling me, to give you and idea tell me what this is "m sk is clg, cn u fx ?
i am a handy man not a decoder, on a site like this i will except it for you do have time limits as how fast you want to get your message out, just keep it to a minimum. just my take on this. for i know how the world works to day, fast, high speed, i want it now, it would nice if we could slow down, but those days are gone.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The internet makes you stupid.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
The internet makes you stupid.
------------------------------------------------------

first line
second line

thank you!

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think the main reason for it is because most kids today actually cannot spell things correctly because they didn't learn the spelling OR because they have used the abbreviations and seen them so much via texting, social sites, etc. that they forgot how to spell them.

Honestly, I was excellent in spelling and grammar and upon hitting 40 I can say that I question simple word spelling all the time now. Is it because my memory is fading or is it because I've read so much online with misspelled words and grammar that I no longer can remember the correct spelling and grammar either? I was the person everyone came to if they wanted the spelling of a word. Now, I read back over old posts or things I've written and see tons of typos and misused forms of the word.(you're/your, their/there/they're, etc.)

I used to belittle those for not being able to spell the simplest of words and now I have relaxed a bit but I agree with the abbreviations. I know one person who writes very well and usually spells out all words but almost always uses "smthg" instead of "something" which drives me crazy because they can spell all other words so why not that one? grr lol

My fear is that because people lax in spelling, what will their children's spelling and grammar be like? and their children? Reminds me of that movie "Idiocracy".

It's not just spelling but math, too. I was in a sushi bar last night and a table of 3 college age girls were behind me. They were selecting what to eat and each of the "$1 night sushi rolls" had 3 pieces per order for $1. One girl says "okay, we have 13 orders so that's what?...like, 33 pieces?" and the other two agreed. I just laughed overhearing them. Then she continues.."so, okay, like, we each get how many pieces? 12?" and then one girl agrees while the other says "no, wait..that's not right. I think it is more than that!". Finally after 5 minutes and changed order they review they still have 13 orders for the 3 girls and one says "oh, wait...3 times 13 is 39?" (questioning) and the others then agree. One girl points out " 13 times 3 divided by 3 is 13 each"

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dreampsi

Good post.
I don't claim to be a spelling or grammar genius, I don't use spell check on my ATS posts. I think you get my drift.
Folks, we are talking about basic communication skills here!
When these skills are lost, then there is no communication. No communication no power.
I agree with math as well. It's shocking how many people can't do the simplest math annymore.
I think it also has to with the devaluation of education. Education used to be valued for its own sake, now its only valued as to making a buck!!

Sad! VERY sad, and part of the decline of civilization.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I stand on the side of those who use whatever version of English they like to bring and share their thoughts, my only stipulation is that I can actually understand what it is they are sharing, and some people with a wonderful grasp of standard English still have an issue doing that much (I include myself in that comment
)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join