It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newfoundland researchers crack the genetic code of a sudden death cardiac killer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
[url=http://www.genengnews.com/industry-updates/newfoundland-researchers-crack-the-genetic-code-of-a-sudden-death-cardiac-killer/98222133/]Article[/ur l]

Montreal ? Researchers in Newfoundland have cracked the genetic code of a sudden death cardiac killer.

As a result, they have developed a unique prevention program in which people with no symptoms, but with a suspect gene and a family history, are being implanted with internal cardiac defibrillators (ICDs) which can restart their hearts if they stop.

The term arrhythmogenic refers to deadly cardiac rhythms that can be triggered by electrical impulses within the heart. Cardiomyopathy is a worsening condition where heart muscle is slowly replaced by scar and fat tissue.

"Our diagnostic testing showed that some members of these families have a specific, genetic, electrocardiogram (ECG) mutation ? ARVD5," said Dr. Connors. There is a 50 per cent chance that children of those with the condition will also be carriers of the gene. It is considered the second-most common cause of sudden cardiac death in young people.

This is pretty interesting. I havent heard anything about this in the mainstream news yet.

From what I understand from the article, people with a suspected genetic heart condition are possibly able to get an implant that would restart their hearts if cardiac arrest occurs. I hope there's no side effects with this implant. I would think more testing would be done before this becomes availible to everyone who has that genetic heart condition.

join