It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New "Member", older Lurker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
So, after being introduced to ATS by my boyfriend, and occasionally perusing through topics and posts, I've finally caved in and made an actual account.

I like to consider myself a gullible skeptic - I don't really know how else to explain it. If you tell me with a serious face that you crashed your car or your father died, I'll probably ask you "really?". Heck, you could tell me you bought 5 chihuahuas "just because" and I'd lap it up like a cat with a saucer of milk. As a result of my trusting demeanor I have made it a habit to learn everything I can about a given topic before establishing any opinion on it. In the end, a good way of describing my opinions on any conspiratorial matter is slightly below lukewarm - I'm open to the idea, but I won't believe it until I've collected enough reliable empirical evidence to support the hypothesis presented.

Gullibility has its benefits, as I've come to know a great deal about many topics over the 2 decades I've been on earth for. In particular, I know a great deal about psychology, medicine, and computers. I'm currently attending university in pursuit of a degree in computer science with a psychology minor. If I could I'd become a doctor, but affording medical school is simply too expensive (however I've taken some medical prep classes anyways).

I'm always open to opinions different from my own, and am not the type to get in a heated argument. My only pet peeve is when claims are made without any supporting evidence. Evidence is always subject to source credibility, but the credibility of any given source really varies from person to person as much as an opinion.

That's pretty much it.

PS - I can't spell to save my life. Have mercy.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Well its good to see you established an account. But I'm sure you're aware, you stated you're not the type to argue. Be prepared, there are many whom believe they are educated on every topic, you're gonna run into the occasional argument. Good luck, and good hunting!

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS. I like your idea of "gullible skeptic." I think that fits me too
I'm quite jaded and cynical though sometimes too.

Enjoy your travels in ATSland.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Thank you for the welcomes 2Rotten4u and Zoodie! And I promise to be good and not start a flame war Rotten.
The way I see it, opinions are just that - opinions. Everybody has them and they're going to vary a lot, regardless of evidence or lack thereof. I have to go to lectures every week on topics I strongly disagree with, and if I manage not to don a guy fawkes mask and run down the aisles yelling "Sic semper tyrannis!!" I think I'll be able to learn to respect the opinions of fellow members here - regardless of how much I may feel differently. I mean, that's what respect is all about, isn't it?

Zoodie, I'm pretty sure I can be quite cynical and jaded too... but for me I think its just all my version of an elaborate defense so I don't seem too trusting.

As a side note, I'm pretty easy going, silly, and love sarcasm - despite the fact that I can't tell if somebody I'm talking to is being sarcastic to save my life.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Welcome!
I just joined aswell, today as a matter of fact.
Been browsing for awhile, but felt the need to finally join.
Id love to offer help and advice, but alas, I'm a totally newb as well,
Good to know I'm not alone though.

new topics

top topics

join