It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help needed: is my proposition "legal"? (T & C question)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I am an electronic musician, and I enjoy sometimes using other people's conversational voices in my music. It would be a real treat to get to feature, in a song, or in future works, people explaining their definition of freedom, in their own words, recorded anonymously. And so I would like to pose this question - what is freedom, and can you define it to me? - to ATS-ers, and ask that they reply in audio form.

To collect the replies, I'd like to use the website Audioboo.fm. I guess ultimately folks could send .mp3s directly to me somehow, but Audioboo.fm really performs this function quite well, out of the box, and will keep everything nice and anonymous.

I've set up a generic audioboo.fm profile that they may use to login, if they're not comfortable with creating a profile, or using their existent Twitter login (which they are free to use, over at Audioboo.fm).

Questions:

1. Would this project be within ATS' T & C?

2. If so, which board would be most appropriate for the thread about this project?

3. Or, is there a better way (or more appropriate way) to accomplish this end?

I'm looking forward to your advisement,
autobono.
edit on 25-10-2010 by autobono because: clarifying

edit on 25-10-2010 by autobono because: clarifying...again

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I have no idea about the T&C's part but I think it's a good idea.

I love the way that Pink Floyd did the same thing on the start of Dark Side of the Moon

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I believe that this section of the terms and conditions covers this proposal.

15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:

i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

ii) You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to collect or ask for the personal information (data mining) about forum members, including email addresses and "real life" names, in any manner whatsoever, or for any reason whatsoever.

iii) You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to solicit members of the Websites on behalf of another message board, online community or competitor. You will not attempt to use your membership to encourage or lure other members in any way to other websites or discussion boards in competition with TAN. Doing so will result in removal of your Post(s) and immediate termination of your account.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 2010/10/25 by GradyPhilpott because: grammar

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I believe that this section of the terms and conditions covers this proposal.

15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:

i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

ii) You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to collect or ask for the personal information (data mining) about forum members, including email addresses and "real life" names, in any manner whatsoever, or for any reason whatsoever.

iii) You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to solicit members of the Websites on behalf of another message board, online community or competitor. You will not attempt to use your membership to encourage or lure other members in any way to other websites or discussion boards in competition with TAN. Doing so will result in removal of your Post(s) and immediate termination of your account.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 2010/10/25 by GradyPhilpott because: grammar

iii. If I eliminate the usage of another website (Audioboo.fm) then maybe this sore spot in the T & C would be addressed?

ii. The idea was that the opinions and feelings be collected anonymously; there would be absolutely no data mining whatsoever. This is the only way I think I can be assured of an honest answer, as well.

i. I guess this constitutes 'recruitment', but I see it more as a collaborative project, many aspects of which may stay within the site.

Well, thank you for the answer!

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
I have no idea about the T&C's part but I think it's a good idea.

I love the way that Pink Floyd did the same thing on the start of Dark Side of the Moon

Yea, it's not a unique idea. There are definitely electronic/industrial groups that, over the years, have built sounds from similar 'collage'-style constructions, using voices.

I wanted to take a more aggressive approach to collecting the voices, and ask specific questions, but noticed that when I ask people if they want to be recorded, that they tailor the responses to me, in one way or another. Consequently, I am more curious about how people reply to questions like this when there are no social expectations of any kind.

top topics

join