It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few examples of strange places on Earth.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I have been doing some research on a few things and I happened to stumble on a few things that have been completely abandoned by man. These things include bases, islands and other places. The more you look the more you can find these places. I thought it was pretty interesting. I was also trying to figure out why they were just abandoned. To me I think their might be alternative reasons to abandoning these places.

Oily Rock, off the coast of Azerbaijan

Good luck seeing it on Google Earth. It seems that it is in "Low Resolution Mode" because it is out to sea.

Johnston Atoll, 825 miles SW of Hawaii

16°45′ N 169°30′ W
Johnston is an unincorporated territory of the United States, administered from Washington, D.C. by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service of the United States Department of the Interior as part of the National Wildlife Refuge system. The defense of Johnston Atoll is managed by the military of the United States. The islands are not open to the public. Well after you read what they did on this island I honestly have no clue why the US F&W Service would want to have anything to do with this place.

Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas National Park off Key West, FL

Google Earth: 24° 37' 39" North, 82° 52' 23" West
Interesting history. Has been around a long time.

Ghost Island-Gunkanjima-Hashima Island-Located in the Nagasaki Prefecture

Google Earth: 32°37'40.79"N 129°44'18.76"E
Off shore mining island. Supposedly their was a bunch of coal in the area that they had readily available. The problem is that after several expeditions to the islands nobody has found any mining or dredging equipment. They have found lots of personal objects, everything from peoples shoes, toys and even bones.

Fort Carroll-South of Baltimore, MD on the Patapsco River

Everything I can find on this place mentions that it is nothing more then a fort used time and time again over the years.

Michigan Cental Depot-Detroit

Totally abandoned. Nobody knows what to do with it.

NRL Satellite Facility-Maryland

Facility was used during Vietnam in "Operation Compass Link" All of the buildings have been removed except for the 2 giant transmitters. Apparently a contractor won the bid for demolition and removed all the buildings. To me you would want the transmitters as well. I am sure they would bring a nice profit at the recyclers. The company paid less then $140.00 for the contract to demo the site.

Cincinnati’s Abandoned Subway System

Conflicting reports on this one. It is real and it is their but nobody can agree on how much of it really existed except for the 2 miles that you can access today. Interstate construction "destroyed" much of it.

This post could go on forever. The more you research and look at stuff we here on earth seem to have a bunch of places that are completely abandoned almost like lost worlds within our own. All of them can be explained at one level or another but the point of this post is to maybe get you to think a bit about your surroundings. Some of these places might be exactly how they have been described while others lead a lot to the imagination. All this post is total speculation on my part but I find most of it pretty weird. I could understand an old mining town or something but most of these places took a lot of effort to create and a little too much effort at that in my opinion to be just completely abandoned.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I know this is off topic, but it reminds me of Fallout the game series.
2nd

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I wouldn't want to go into that subway system without my hunting rifle. Might run into some ghouls...

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by America?
I know this is off topic, but it reminds me of Fallout the game series.
2nd

haha it really does.especially that satellite

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Here is another one I found this evening that I think is a little off as well. The Turkish military took over this island and wrapped the entire thing with barbed wire. The place is said to be totally abandoned and nobody is permitted around the place besides the Turkish military and the United Nations. I could understand the military portion side of it to some degree but why the heck would the UN be involved with an abandoned city?

Varosha, Famagusta Cypress

top topics

join