It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Determine Once and For All Whether Reality Is Just an Illusion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
21 October 2010

Researchers at Fermilab are building a "holometer" so they can disprove everything you thought you knew about the universe. More specifically, they are trying to either prove or disprove the somewhat mind-bending notion that the third dimension doesn’t exist at all, and that the 3-D universe we think we live in is nothing more than a hologram. To do so, they are building the most precise clock ever created.

The universe-as-hologram theory is predicated on the idea that spacetime is not perfectly smooth, but becomes discrete and pixelated as you zoom in further and further, like a low-res digital image. This idea isn’t novel; recent experiments in black-hole physics have offered evidence that this may be the case, and prominent physicists have proposed similar ideas. Under this theory, the universe actually exists in two dimensions and the third is an illusion produced by the intertwining of time and depth. But the false third dimension can’t be perceived as such, because nothing travels faster than light, so instruments can’t find its limits.

A Conceptual Drawing of the 'Holometer'
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dc855eaed568.jpg[/atsimg]

www.popsci.com...

This is a very interesting concept, wouldn't it be something if the our ? so called three dimension doesn't exist, that it is an illusion that you are now reading and interacting on ATS right now. If everything is a hologram and all we are pretend players on stage.

If there is no time as we know it could be that past, present and future is simultaneous and everything is happening at once, that is probable and could be the reason some of us get glimpses of other realties from time to time, it could explain ghosts, poltergeist and psychic abilities, there is so little we know about our universe or how our brain works and cannot be explained by scientists, we can only theorize at the present time.

edit on 24-10-2010 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Above is a link to take you to a thread that's only a few days old surrounding this little doo-hicky.

But yes, it would be interesting. But that's all it would be. Wouldn't really change my day to day. Damn holographic bills would keep coming in and if I didn't pay 'em I would get holographic sued in holographic small claims court and have to serve holographic time.......then my holographic kids ......holographic wish i was dead.....holographic tomb stone......holographic hell......holographic eternity.....lol

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by no1elsebuttme

If posters who put up these threads used the title of the article they linked to then it would a whole lot easier to find it on ATS, I did a search and zilch came up, they need to make a rule like in breaking alternative news and that would solve the problem.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Thank you OP for bringing this to our attention. Now instead of debating on how to control my destiny in this 3d plain, I can get it at the root in the 2d plain and manipulate things where they begin.

That will be an epic description, how does one describe the original 2d existence in which we all are projected from....

I will stay tuned for the answers!!

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

It's all good. I'm sure if you wanted to, since yours is documented, you could win any ensuing debate with the Mods.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
October 20, 2010

The Fermilab Holometer
And Expierment to Measure the Smallest Intervals of Space and Time

The Holographic Interferometer, or Holometer, is a machine designed to test a particular idea about how space, time, matter, and energy behave on the very smallest scales.

If there is a minimum interval of time, or a maximum frequency in nature, there is a corresponding limit on the fidelity of space and time. Everyone is familiar these days with the blurry and pixelated images, or noisy sound transmission, associated with poor internet bandwidth. The Holometer seeks to detect the equivalent blurriness or noise in reality itself, associated with the ultimate frequency limit imposed by nature.

About a hundred years ago, the German physicist Max Planck introduced the idea of a fundamental, natural length or time, derived from fundamental constants. We now call these the Planck length, lp = √hG/2π c3 = 1.6 × 10-35 meters. Light travels one Planck length in the Planck time, tp = √hG/2π c5 = 5.4 × 10-44 seconds. The physics of space and time is expected to change radically on such small scales. For example, a particle confined to a Planck volume automatically collapses to a black hole.

holometer.fnal.gov...

What do they mean by the smallest scale, are they talking nanotechnology? Nanotechnology today is allowing for testing with the scientific method and repeatability. What we are able to see today Einstein called spooky action at a distance, he was actually talking about Quantum Entanglement. If he were alive today I wonder what he would say, probably good job as he predicted many of the things we are discovering today.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I honestly don’t buy into this whole holographic theory. But let’s just say for arguments sake they do prove its a 2D hologram. Then what? Will it all come crashing down? Or is it part of a test? So many questions and no answers. This is the kind of thing that needs to be left alone.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkice19
I honestly don’t buy into this whole holographic theory. But let’s just say for arguments sake they do prove its a 2D hologram. Then what? Will it all come crashing down? Or is it part of a test? So many questions and no answers. This is the kind of thing that needs to be left alone.

Nothing happens.

It means that the 'true' laws of physics (perhaps useful only for cosmology) operate on an unusual topology.

Reality is as real as before, and for practical purposes people will be doing QM computations in Euclidean space, even though "true theory" says that you have to do it in some bizzare curved manifold and project from that into our normal space to get conventional experimentally observable quantities. It will be so mathematically difficult (and irrelevant above Planck scale) that nobody will worry about it for 50 years except for string theorists and cosmologists.

It's the same way that a mechanical engineer continues to do Newtonian physics very effectively and doesn't worry about quantum mechanics.

It took 70 years for General Relativity to have any technological consequence (GPS), and even then that's still the only one.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mbkennel

Thanks for your interesting post, the problem in my opinion is that modern physics is limited, they operate under limited axioms, granted if it's something that is repeatable they go outside of mathematics, or as one scientists puts it, arithmetic. The method being used has been very useful but it may be time to open up to a new paradigm.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Mybe reality is more of an imagine, then illusion...

Illusion definition...

2. The condition of being deceived by a false perception or belief.

The question really is, how is it false? Is it false because it is a dream, and therefore perceived as a non-reality? Or is it false because it is a lie?

If its an imagination, what is the reason for it? Is it a mode of experience?

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

It may not be false, it may not be a lie, maybe we are not met to know, there are so many strange things that surround us that we don't understand, does that mean their illusions, I don't know but would like to.

If we were aware of all there is it could be so confusing that we couldn't have a normal existence. Can you imagine seeing everything at once, it would probably drive us insane.

Wouldn't mind having a little peak though, but it still beg the question, is it real.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Have a look at a thread I posted not long after joining ATS, it may be helpful to you!!!

The Holographic Transdimensional System you know as "Life"

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by starsyren

Thank you for the link, very interesting video, I am watching it now. It talks about nothing is solid, everything is energy operating at a different vibration.

What is interesting is that they teach and talk about this the books called A Course in Miracles.

Link to starsyren's thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
If they find they are able to develop smaller sized clocks able to differentiate time intervals smaller than 10-44 seconds then think what we could do with gravity waves. Maybe the scientists that worked on LISA and the satellite technology weren't able to publish?

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Bordon81

Interesting, there are a lot of things scientists are working on that they aren't sharing with us, if they did they could lose their funding and their livelihood. Think all the things thy are hiding from us would blow our minds, maybe in more ways then one.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
my money is on it not working, they'll come up empty handed and won't be able to prove or disprove anything. Even if it does work its not really going to change anything. I don't think you'd suddenly be able to manipulate the holographic universe with your mind just from learning the truth, if you know what i mean.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
If a "holometer" could prove that the 3rd dimension doesn't exist then the machine cannot exist so it would prove nothing.

I love paradoxes.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
Interesting, there are a lot of things scientists are working on that they aren't sharing with us,.

As long as they get their funding why would they show how wasteful and pointless their occupation is to those who live in the here and now and have to unwittingly pay for it.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
This is a worthwhile endeavor according to me.
A very large percentage of the collective reasoning of me being on ATS is because I strongly believe the truth must be known. The truth about all things. If our 3 dimensional reality is in fact an illusion, we should know. To be ignorant of the truth is to be stagnant and it is my belief that it is preferable to move forward out of and away from ignorance whenever able.
I would not discount the possibility that any particular information made available to the general populous has been filtered and altered by corrupt intent. I certainly believe in corruption, I don't doubt it exists as some seem to. But I don't close my eyes and ears to all information made available to me, instead I try to be wary and critical.

In short, if our perceived reality is truly a projected hologram I want to know and I believe everyone should have the free opportunity to know. If it's the truth, the information being available to everyone is what I see as the way forward.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
All I can say is that after spending millions upon millions of dollars and working countless man hours creating this "perfect" clock, do you really think the result will be: "Sorry guys, turned out we're wrong"

Of course there will be a mind blowing discovery made! If their theory proves wrong, they'll just spin it so they are partially right, get more money and build an even more perfect clock.

top topics

join