It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 Warning Signs of Bogus History

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
A very interesting blog article on spotting bunk history! Seems to be a fairly reasonable/valuable standard for a BS filter:

7 Warning Signs of Bogus History

1. The author pitches the claim directly to the media or to organizations of non-historians, for pay.

2. The author says that a powerful establishment is trying to suppress his or her work.

Source

edit on 24-10-2010 by NoHierarchy because: (no reason given)

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
Please make sure every post matters.
Refrain from 1-line or very-minimal responses.
Edit-down your quoted posts to the important part.
Don't use "txting" shorthand in posts.
Use snippets and links for external content.
Provide meaningful comments for links, pictures, and videos.

Mod Note: Starting A New thread

edit on Sun Oct 24 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NoHierarchy

5. The author says a belief is credible because it has endured for some time, or because many people believe it to be true.

That could be said for established history too, no?

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
7 warning signs of bogus history.

Ahh, you have just in detail explained the workings of wikileaks.

Wikilieaks is attempting to change our history. Is anyone paying attention?

We shall see.

The Seven Warning Signs of Bogus History 1. The author pitches the claim directly to the media or to organizations of non-historians, for pay.
2. The author says that a powerful establishment is trying to suppress his or her work.
3. The sources that verify the new interpretation of history are obscure; if they involve a famous person, the sources are not those usually relied on by historians.
4. Evidence for the history is anecdotal.
5. The author says a belief is credible because it has endured for some time, or because many people believe it to be true.
6. The author has worked in isolation.
7. The author must propose a new interpretation of history to explain an observation; heroes become villains, or great conspiracies are often invoked.

edit on 24-10-2010 by wiredamerican because: lightbulb effect.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
They missed one. The author claims that God told him ___________ (fill in information of choice).
Or that he was divinely inspired to write 'the truth'. etc etc. If you hear that .... RUN like heck for the exit.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

What do you have in form of evidence to make such a baseless claim. I find Wikileaks to be very informative and forward about their purpose and the materials they release.?

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoHierarchy
The author says that a powerful establishment is trying to suppress his or her work.

]

Us ATSers are intimately familiar with this one.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
7 warning signs of bogus history.

Ahh, you have just in detail explained the workings of wikileaks.

We shall see.

Hmm... I don't think Wikileaks is about changing history, certainly it might help CLARIFY history, but Wikileaks seems more concerned with releasing ACTUAL documents direct from sources of power. This is not rewriting but literally exposing what was kept under wraps. Conclusions are not drawn, the data is just laid bare.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by born2BWild

What do you have in form of evidence to make such a baseless claim.

Intelligence. !!

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

reply to post by born2BWild

What do you have in form of evidence to make such a baseless claim.

Intelligence. !!

So let me get this straight, you are claiming you have no intelligence, because you were asked to supply evidence to support your claims about wikileaks. You have not supplied evidence & only said intelligence hence no evidence, no intelligence.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

We shall see.

how so?

can you elaborate?

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I must apologize for being rude previously in this thread. I have no evidence of my claim I made, and the only point I was going to make was that after reading the list of 7 things the first thing that popped into my mind was wikileaks.

Again, I admit I was rude and I do apologize. I will refrain from four loko on abovetopsecret.com from now on if you know what I mean. I hope there are no hard feelings.

top topics

join