It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Prague Astronomical Clock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

[font=Tahoma]This elaborated Astronomical Clock was constructed in 1410.
Containing animated statues, A moving Sun and Moon with a Zodiacal Ring, and a Calender.

The clock is located in the Old Time Square in Prague.

Celebrating it's 600th Anniversary [October 9th, 2010] An amazing, and I truly mean amazing 3D Mapping was shown.[/font]

The following is from the Youtube account homobohemicus, pointing out in the video of some of the important events that happened.

-5:04- The Symbol of Bohemia and the Czech lands - The two tailed Lion bearing the crown of Charles the 4th as the Czech King and Holy Roman Emperor - uplifting Prague to be the jewel that it is today.

-6:40- after much turmoil. The old town was the place where 27 Czech protestant leaders were executed in 1621 by the Catholic Ferdinand II.

-7:23- The 12 apostles that come out every hour, 24/7 in all seasons.

-8:15- Serious damage in 1945 from Prague Uprising by Germans.

--------------------------------

This is just an awesome piece of history. I never even knew about the clock. I highly recommend viewing the entire video in HD if possible. I hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did.

More information on the event and the clock can be found here

edit on 24-10-2010 by Oozii because: -

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Wow that was simply amazing! Thanks so much for the link---I'd never heard of this clock before, and reading about it and it's history (just getting started really) is pretty darn interesting. The artistic and mathematical detail put into this timepiece is breathtaking.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by erumisato

You are very welcome. I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

It's pretty amazing how the clock was made. Far better than any electric clock.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Yes definitely thank you for that link. It really is amazing. Incredible the things this world has to offer that you may have been clueless about without the internet.Again, really great find.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I am wanting to see this over the new year if I can get the flights. I cannot wait! It just sets me off wondering everytime I see it!

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Ahh like minds again Oozil, I just posted a thread on this and found out that you were already on it!
Pretty cool story and if objects could speak I am sure this one would have a great story to tell.
I really dig the video of it lighting up, it was a fun watch(pun intended
)

Peace,
spec

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

They sure do
. I enjoyed it as well. It's very captivating. Thanks for your reply

@ carlitomoore Oh how lucky you are. I'd wish I could get out of this place for a bit. I hope you enjoy your time

edit on 25-10-2010 by Oozii because: -

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
There is another in Sweden in the Lund Cathedral ,in the city of Lund . Both take their name from my family .As does London .

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I've actually been touring europe for 5 weeks now, and prague was one of my favorite stops. The clock is a beautiful peace of machinery but you feel a little ripped off if you stand around to wait for the hourly magic. Every hour on the hour, the puppets surrounding it move in a sequence. Honestly, its nothing special, but the clock itself remains a masterpiece and one worth seeing

For those headed to prague, do the free walking tours, they take bout 3 hours but are well worth it. If your into clubbing, check out cross club, its an old anarchist squat turned club and its a wotk of art aswell. You have to see it to believe it. Also, big ups to sir toby's hostel, great place to stay

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Yes Oozii I am lucky I suppose. I am a 20minute drive from my local airport, and I can get a return flight to prague 3 days out of 7 and it only costs roughly £50.. around $78 dollars.

I am going amsterdam in a few weeks, Bruges before Christmas (which is beautiful by the way) and then hopefully pragure in January. If I get there I will be sure to psot some photos of the clock!

top topics

join