It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google engineer develops Facebook Disconnect to protect your online privacy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Google engineer develops Facebook Disconnect to protect your online privacy

Think you information is secure?

In the past few weeks, Facebook applications like FarmVille reportedly shared confidential personal information about users obtained through Facebook Connect with numerous different partners such as advertising networks.

Google engineer develops Facebook Disconnect

So, the security of your personal information is dependent upon the free time project of a google engineer! Anyone else feel like deleting their Facebook accounts? Oh ... would that work? Or is it all too late?

Can we trust Facebook, Google or anyone?

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mithrawept

Great... The only thing I trust less than Facebook IS Google!

Don't worry little lamb... The wolf is here to protect you from that mean ole' badger....

Sheesh! The NSA is going to make sure that the CIA doesn't spy on me???

~Heff

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

They don't even need to spy! Your data is all over the place and easily accessible.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but this isn't a big deal.

I'm not trying to say what they're doing is right, but I mean - how many of us really put important "personal data" of ourseleves on Facebook / other internet pages?

If you do, it's your own fault your privacy has been breached. No different than in the real world.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ultrageek

the problem is that people still think internet doesnt have memory

so, they do stupid things, post sex videos and many other things, not knowing that the information is forever

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
You can have a facebook page with nothing on it but your name. So you can still hook up with old friends. All the other info just make up. If you are mad because you info is all over the net remember, you put it out there.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
What I dont understand is why people put actual information in a public setting..

Name: Ben Dover
Sex: M
Job: Masterbator

You get the point.. I have never used my real name on the internet and dont want to.. I think if people use thier real names and things, it should be taken and should be used for selling purposes..

Deserves them right for being morons..

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I'm with Ben Dover on this one
You have to be partially retarded to plaster your name all over the net. I don't even have a facebook or myspace and my name and/or face or anything else is anywhere on the net. Those sites are stupid and unless you have a legit business reason to use one for promotion, I feel like the only reason to have one is because you are an ego-maniac who thinks people really care that you update them everytime you go to the bathroom or are "chillaxin"..

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I think some of the posters above have missed the point.

It's not your personal information they are after - your birthday, your eye colour, where you live ... they couldn't really give a toss.

It's your browsing history they are after ... your browsing habits ...

What ever site you visit, what ever banner you click, your likes, your dislikes, your comments and your downloads etc ... they have access to that ... if you want it or not, if you know it or not ...

The marketing and advertising opportunities when they know this info is HUGE ... and that is how they make their money ... essentially, they sell your browsing habits ... and then of course there is the security information that they sell ...

So what Disconnect does, why it is so powerful and why it is such an important development, is it puts the power back in our hands, gives us control over one of the most important online commodities there is ...

It might even open up a new market where people can choose to sell their past browsing history or sell access to their current browsing habits
edit on 23/3/12 by Horza because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join