It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abortion is morally WRONG

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
No matter what side of the debate you are on... abortion is morally wrong; and not for the reasons you may believe.

What determines whether any action is moral or not is not so much determined by the consequences of our actions as it is determined by the motivation behind them. (For more information on this idea and the concepts around it... just look up Kantian Philosophy) This is what I see as being almost totally overlooked in the abortion debate, from both sides.

So the "motivation", as claimed by pro-choicers, is that every woman has the right to make the choice about what happens to her body; which translates to the right to choose whether or not to abort.

But this is NOT the motivation behind why women "choose" to have abortions.

As valiant as the pro-choice option sounds... no woman is going into a clinic and getting an abortion because "it's my body so it's my choice".

The motivation behind all abortions (except those where the woman's body is mortally threatened by a pregnancy, or the pregnancy is a result of a traumatic experience such as rape), is simple: Women choose abortion because they don't want the responsibility that comes with carrying and having a child

Responsibilities include...
- Being pregnant
- Having to put up with all the social stigmas that come with being pregnant (i.e. teen pregnancy)
- Having to physically have the child
- Having to care for and look after the child
- Having to deal with giving the child up for abortion

So, with those responsibilities in mind... women are motivated to abort unborn children because they want the "easy way out".

So lets take that ideal of "taking the easy way out" and maximize it.

If everyone in the world where to "take the easy way out" all the time.... what kind of world would we live in? The idea of every single person living their lives by this philosophy is absurd and falls into paradoxical meaninglessness.

Do we let convicted killers go free because the legal system costs too much money... it's too much work... too hard on the families... ect?

Do we not go to school and tell our children to slack off because it's easier than working?

Do we encourage people who have tough lives to commit suicide because it's the easy way out of responsibility?

Of course not!

So why should abortion be any different?

I'm not saying that pregnancy is an easy thing to deal with- in fact I know that pregnancy is one of the most difficult roads in life one can take. But that is no excuse for "taking the easy way out".... especially when it involves the termination of life. It doesn't matter how old the fetus is; that fetus... regardless of whether or not it will feel pain... is a living human being from the moment of conception; all the genes and DNA are there.

As soon as both parties consensually agree to intercourse, they are consensually agreeing to the responsibility that comes with their actions. A denial of responsibility of one of the most basic, natural responsibilities is simply lethargic, apathetic, and lazy.

Do I believe in pro-choice?

I'm on the fence... but if there is an option to abort a fetus... no person should ever in their morally right minds make that decision.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Morality is relative to each individual person. The criteria used to form your morals may not be the same as another person's.

Although I agree with your premise, I don't think morality is a way to convey the idea that abortion is wrong. Just my thoughts anyway.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I agree with sheepslayer, but one argument I never see debated, if it takes two to tango, shouldn't both parties have a say? I mean without the males seed, the child in question would no longer be? But I can see both sides of the argument...and I guess it would depend on the situation. I mean if I had a 16 year old daughter, and she was raped, I wouldn't want that devil spawn to be born~ That's just my two cents worth~

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Monts

i think people just need to have more respect and appreciation for life, no matter how small, especially a life that was created by you. all life is special and this may be the only life we have so why purposly take that away from anyone/thing? the problem i have with using "morals" as determination for what's right or wrong in this matter is that it is not a black and white issue and we are all "immoral" so who are we to cast stones at another for their decision?

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Well...

I don't believe any moral is strong enough to survive the sands of time.

Humans are killers, predators on other species and each other. Abortion is no exception, although motivations are different.

However I agree with your premise here and if everyone would, the world would be a better place... Maybe...

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.-Matthew

Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son-Luke

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.-Psalms

edit on 22-10-2010 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashmir

Though I could go either way, dependent on the situation, one thing that confuses me? In the state of Nevada, if a unborn child is killed in the mothers womb and the mother is killed as well, because of a car accident, the culprit is put on trial and charged with not one but two counts of murder. How is it a mother can abort a pregnancy and not be charged as well? Whats with the double standard? Killing a child is killing a child is it not?
I know I sound contradictory because of my first statement but thats one area I'm still on the fence with.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I agree with the OP...

He makes a good case.

But I also think humans should have the right to be morally wrong...

Just wanted to star n flag ya and then compliment your debate stance.

MM

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Abortion is morally wrong, but forcing your morality on others is akin to terror or fascism.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrecked

what?! yeah, that does not seem right at all. do you know if the the law changes with how far along the mother is?

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
If you are jumping on the morality bandwagon, how does a human life differ from an animal life?

I believe in abortion. I find it abhorrent, just as I find slaughterhouses abhorrent.

But I still eat meat...and I would have an abortion if I felt I could not continue with the pregnancy.

Think your thread will just turn into a repetition of every other abortion thread.

Good luck and good night.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

oh well that explains everything!
2nd

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I don't think its morally wrong at all if its for the right reasons. Lets say a young girl is being sexually assaulted and abused by her father and gets pregnant.. I think its morally not right to tell that child no sorry you have to keep your child its morally wrong to abort, if I was in her position I would internalize it as it's my fault my father raped me. I think women who get pregnant with their rapists child are entitled to be given abortions should they choose. Its not their fault a man raped her.

I personally wouldn't ever get an abortion however, Its my body, my choice. If your okay with it then that's on you, I can't say squat about it.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by xiphias

Murder is a moral issue. Human rights are a moral issue. In fact, just about every law we have is based on morality. Where do we draw the line?

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Monts

While morals are unique to each person, I definitely think it's an ethically questionable decision. We know that the fetus is a unique human life in at least some form and that it has the potential to grow into an adult like all of us. I'm personally pro-life, but the legality of abortions has always been a tough topic for me. My deal is this, I don't mind living in a society that has made the decision that women have the right to choose. What I mind is living in a society where we've become so ethically 'bla' or lazy that we reduce the question down to only the woman's right and not the fetus's possible countervailing right.

To quote one of my favorite pro-choice, law professors "If you don't think there's an ethical dilemma that coincides with every abortion, if you don't think that every abortion terminates something more unique and precious than a hair or skin cell, then you're simply not thinking hard enough."

The reason I can still call myself pro-life, while my verdict's still out on the legality issue is because too many of my pro-choice acquaintances refuse to think hard enough about the question. Things like this disgust me:

So, yea, that's kind of where I draw the line.
edit on 22-10-2010 by snusfanatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashmir

It does not change to the best of my knowledge. It is what it is?

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobbinHood
reply to post by xiphias

Murder is a moral issue. Human rights are a moral issue. In fact, just about every law we have is based on morality. Where do we draw the line?

Absolutely.

That line is drawn inside every woman, and she has the human right to decide whether to cross that particular line. The lines are more sacred than the laws, the books, or the opinions.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kashmir
reply to post by Monts

i think people just need to have more respect and appreciation for life, no matter how small, especially a life that was created by you. all life is special and this may be the only life we have so why purposly take that away from anyone/thing? the problem i have with using "morals" as determination for what's right or wrong in this matter is that it is not a black and white issue and we are all "immoral" so who are we to cast stones at another for their decision?

This, what you said. I totally agree life is precious - but
forget Morals, what about Karma? Taking an innocent life..

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fingersoup

Originally posted by Kashmir
reply to post by Monts

This, what you said. I totally agree life is precious - but
forget Morals, what about Karma? Taking an innocent life..
So is that what Pro-Lifers use to justify killing abortion doctors? Karma is nonsense anyways, but lets say that such a system did exist, it would most likely apply to killing human beings, not fetuses.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join