It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artic ice sheet is melting away, but this article from 2008 says it is at an all time high ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Hi ATS

I'm going to make this one plain and simple. Due to my lack of proper education I'm calling out for an explanation.

Just now I read :

Warmer Arctic probably permanent, scientists say

Which is an article from reuters.

(Reuters) - The signs of climate change were all over the Arctic this year -- warmer air, less sea ice, melting glaciers -- which probably means this weather-making region will not return to its former, colder state, scientists reported on Thursday.

Key note. which probably means

which leads me back to the NOAA
A solid and as far as I know reliable institute for oceanic and atmospheric research. I've ended up on several subjects at the NOAA in the past, that's why I think so.

Now it comes....

An slightly older article from 2008 that says ( according to my Dutch source that is ) The artic ice sheet is at an all time high since the last 9000 years or so...

You bet... I'm feeling a bit toyed with right about now.

Article name :

Holocene fluctuations in Arctic sea-ice cover: dinocyst-based reconstructions for the eastern Chukchi Sea1,2

Results indicate a decrease in sea-ice cover and a corresponding, albeit
much smaller, increase in summer sea-surface temperature over the past 9000 years. Superimposed on these long-term
trends are millennial-scale fluctuations characterized by periods of low sea-ice and high sea-surface temperature and salinity
that appear quasi-cyclic with a frequency of about one every 2500–3000 years. The results of this study clearly show
that sea-ice cover in the western Arctic Ocean has varied throughout the Holocene. More importantly, there have been
times when sea-ice cover was less extensive than at the end of the 20th century.

I have some difficulties with understanding it so could someone please slice and dice it in to understandable ( for a the average Joe ) and comprehend able piece of information ? I would appreciate it dearly.
I'm not talking about the part I posted from the article. I'm kind of home schooled high enough ( barely ) to understand that part.

It seems the article does indeed says what I said before, but there is to much abracadabra in there to assume anything. For me that is.

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards.

~ Sinter

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Arctic Ice is growing and much more since 2008

Arctic Ice

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by favouriteslave

Thanks I know the site. It's quite freezzzing reading it.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Yeah, if you like.

A group of scientists used proxies to examine the variation in ice-cover in a small region of the Arctic (Chuckchi sea) over the Holocene. They found that there have been periods in the past when ice cover was less extensive than currently, and therefore potentially warmer in that region. However, interestingly, data from other regions of the Arctic (e.g., Baltic & Eastern Arctic) showed the reverse situation indicating strong regional variations in ice-cover over the holocene (some area less ice than others).

So big variations regionally over the holocene if the data is robust.

edit on 21-10-2010 by melatonin because: zing!!!

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

Yeah I like.

I got there myself . I'm not that big of a moron

Anyway...

Basically this area is just a tiny part of the entire Arctic and it does not qualify to shed some reasonable similarities with the rest of the Arctic ?

That's what you said right ?

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

Yeah I like.

I got there myself . I'm not that big of a moron

lol, well I wasn't sure what it was you wanted...I just summarised the implications from their paper.

Basically this area is just a tiny part of the entire Arctic and it does not qualify to shed some reasonable similarities with the rest of the Arctic ?

That's what you said right ?

Yeah, covers part of the Arctic near to Alaska (adjacent to the Beaufort Gyre). The money quote from the paper is: "this hypothesis suggests a strong regionalism in climate changes over the arctic" (p. 1385), as other regions seem to show the reverse effects.

And it should have been Baffin Bay rather than Baltic (time for bed!).

edit on 21-10-2010 by melatonin because: Mr Sandman, bring me a dream...

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Time fo bed !

Thanks. One more ghost out of my closet. I guess that must mean I'll sleep a bit more comfortable tonight.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
both articles say that Ice sheets are depleting..... They dont contradict.

new topics

top topics

join