It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young People of ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
[Mods, I wasn't sure what forum to put this in, so please move it if it need be.]

Hello ATS,

For the past week or so, I've been thinking about the age range of people here at ATS. I've come to the conclusion that there should be more younger people here. Not just any kids, but kids (teenagers mostly) that are interested in conspiracy. It's important to understand what younger people are thinking now, from political views to extraterrestrials, from government conspiracy to paranormal studies.

You may be thinking that kids shouldn't be here, because they aren't smart enough or whatever. No, they wont be spamming ATS with silly things only teens care about, there's tons of other sites for that; they'll catch on to the fact that this is a serious site. In reality, there are lots of kids I know who are very intelligent and could comprehend most things discussed here. It could also act as a great learning experience for them just to read posts. They might not like to admit it, but all kids want to learn, it's just what kids do. Also, don't think that these kids would be wasting their lives on the Internet here, because they'll be learning and debating-a great way for them to develop. You may also be concerned that ATS could scare kids, but I like to think that it could actually just teach them to not believe everything you see in the media. Most importantly, this is a great site for them to practice Freedom Of Speech.

How do I know this? I myself am a teenager, 13 years old to be exact. I joined ATS about 5 months ago because I was mostly interested in the cryptozoology, paranormal, and UFO forums. I quickly took a liking to a wider range of topics here, and I'm glad I did so. It's been a wonderful experience, yet I was disappointed to find that there aren't too many people my age here; that I'm among the youngest. I hope to see ATS gain popularity among younger people in time.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
not too many young people are interested in this stuff. if we start trying to attract them to the site, we'll turn into syfy...playing wrestling and really really bad monster movies that can't even be considered B ranged.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
IMO, I think it takes an amount of maturity to participate in ATS conversations as a whole that most teenagers simply do not possess.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I think you are right. It is in young people's nature to learn ( whether they admit it or not...although, actually...there are a few that may never learn anything
)

I agree, it's nice to see younger people on here. Many people on the site complain and moan during the summer because so many young people grace the site with their "banal topics" and "trolling". But to be honest, Ive seen alot of good topics/responses started by the younger members. I think it's refreshing.

To be honest, there are plenty of older people that "troll" and have "banal topics" and as a matter of fact, cannot post without violating the terms and conditions of using the message board.

I dont think it matters how old the poster is, as long as the content is good.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by WashMoreFeet
IMO, I think it takes an amount of maturity to participate in ATS conversations as a whole that most teenagers simply do not possess.

Says the person with a picture of Obama on a unicorn for their avatar.

No, I get it.

And Im just picking at you.

But that was my point. Alot of the younger members are more mature than the older ones.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero

Says the person with a picture of Obama on a unicorn for their avatar.

rotflmao....touchet, my friend, touchet....
what can I say? I am and always will be a kid at heart, and when I saw a picture of Obama riding a unicorn sh*tting Skittles....it was like the perfect combination of childish humor only an adult could really appreciate (or someone with adult-like political interests....)

Everybody kept trying to convince me he was the savior they voted him in to be, but I guess I just couldn't see it until this picture......

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

You're right, most teens aren't mature enough for this website. But why would those people come to this site in the first place? They would get bored too quick.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
Alot of the younger members are more mature than the older ones.

...and can spell better too...

...advanced years has never guaranteed wisdom - hence the old adage "out of the mouths of babes"...

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
One thing that I love about ATS is the diverse age groups. Life is always a learning experience and we don't always learn from those older than us.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Last evening I was thrilled to find out my 15 year old great niece had been exposed to conspiracy theories by a new male friend of hers.

We started out by listening to a song on You Tube by a band named Muse. It was about revolution.

I then introduced her to Above Top Secret. We talked for hours.

She said she just had a feeling she could discuss conspiracies with me. She did not feel comfortable talking about the subject with any other family members.

I'm not at all concerned that she might join this site. She is very artistic, mystical and smart.

It would be wise to cultivate young people into our world on this site.

The young are our future. Let them hear the truth. They are our future leaders.

Young people please feel free to join and participate.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nicolee123nd

You, young person (not sure of gender), are a very well spoken individual and kudos to you for obviously regarding the "golden rule" as a high priority. I would have no problem and infact welcome reading your posts. I find it very refreshing to see someone of your age so well versed. Sometimes we older folk cling to the images of derilect young people wandering the streets and looking for trouble. Now stay the course and excell!!

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I say let young people enjoy being young without worrying about over-examining and over-analysing the world around them. There are plenty of years ahead to take life seriously and consider Conspiracies and Alternative topics and how deeply they might affect one's life. Young people should be encouraged to question and think critically about the information they come across, but let them enjoy being kids and develop their minds in a healthy and fun manner without getting caught up in all of the intricacies of life at such a young age.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I'm 19

None of my friends care about anything political. When I talk about it they just see me as being negative.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
So long as they stick to the T&C of posting and have intellectual information to add or interesting points of view I welcome young adults to the ATS community.

They should be reading as many different opinions as possible.

edit on 21-10-2010 by Gradius Maximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Hello nicolee123rd. I think it's a wonderful thing that you are seeking at such an early age!

However, I am 26 and I more enjoy threads, posts, and replies from people older than me. Nothing against you personally! In my experience, most teens and young adults think they know it all. They become a 2 book scholar and their egos explode! They become an "expert" in mere weeks or a few short months. Jesus didn't start preaching till his 30's, Muhammad started in his 40's! Childhood, teen years, 20's-30's is about gathering information and experience. It takes years of cultivating life's earlier information and experience to truly gain wisdom and insight.

I tend to stay away from teens and people my age in regards to "serious" topics. I truly enjoy the wisdom, understanding, insight, and patience of my elders, versus the egotistical, overly opinionated, and impulsive mentality of today's youth.

Please, do not take offense, because this is not directed at you personally. I hope you gain all that you seek from ATS. I just think it would drive me away if the boards got flooded with confused teens that think they know it all.

While we're on the subject, my grandmother used to say, "Keep your mouth shut when two grownups are talking." My father used to tell me, "Don't talk back to people older than you." And the ethnic community that I was raised in stressed, "Respect your elders." These understandings seem to be missing from today's youth.

Sure, I want to do my part to help youngsters learn and become good people, but to be honest, the "American Teen" syndrome of talking back, being disrespectful, and "knowing it all" has left me with a prejudice.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I have been a member of this site since the age of 15, a year after I first became interested in the more well known conspiracy theories of JFK and Roswell. Since then I have visited the site on a daily basis and have made great use of the information that I have been exposed to. I may not have contributed on that many occasions, but just knowing this site was here, and that I had a place to come to for news that wasn't censored like the news that we are exposed to in New Zealand, has given me comfort, and allowed me to expand my insight and knowledge into a vast and diverse range of topics.

I abhor the point of view that young people are not 'mature' enough to participate in discussions on this site. I have always found this community to be very inclusive, and it is of the utmost importance for us to propagate that sense of community if we hope to attract members. Surely any person with an interest in the topics that we discuss here should be welcomed with open arms, especially those of younger ages.

Why restrict them? If they are exposed earlier, the earlier they develop a deep understanding of world issues, and the early they become the teachers and guides of the next generation.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Peace nicolee.
I was pondering my reply for a little while, and I wish to retract those words. Just because "my" personal experience in "this" area are a certain way, that doesn't mean it is the world's norm. I must remove this prejudice about "youngsters" from my being.. it's counter productive to my journey. I humbly offer my apologies to you, and anyone that found that post immature.

In the spirits of making amends, allow me to offer younger people and new comers a little advice. Regardless the topic you are researching, do not take any one person, any one idea, any one article, or any one source as absolute truth initially. Personally think about the topic. Create your own questions to better understand. Ask others for opinions or help with important questions, but always feel and ponder. Research alternative sources. If possible, research the direct oppositional arguments against the topic. And when researching the opposition, research more than one source, ask yourself questions, and ponder.

Most importantly, be careful that you do not spread false ideas. That is even more important than the personal impact of subscribing to a false idea. So be as certain as you can before spreading your ideas or discoveries. It is a horrible thing to be a contributing factor to another person's error. I've changed my mind, my beliefs, my understandings, and my opinions so many times! I've gotten excited about topics and ran around with the info, then later found out I was wrong.

May you all have peace, and may us all find truth.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by nicolee123nd

I am a young ATSer at the age of 16.
But I find that age doesn't account for knowledge. I know a lot of people older then me, that know, much, much less.
Some of you may have never guessed I was 16.
But now you know, I hope it doesn't effect how seriously you take me.

Cheers
Brady
edit on 22-10-2010 by GetRadNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by GetRadNZ

I agree, age doesn't = Knowledge at all, and to think it does, IMHO is a lack of intelligence in itself, also, just because someone may be slighter younger than someone else, again, that doesn't mean that they’re not going to try and take these topics as seriously as they deserve to be taken or that we’re not here to learn/educate ourselves and others. I know I for one am here because I want to be here and I want to learn and I want to pass on to others what I know.

I also consider myself a "younger member" joining under this account at 17, and turning 18 not long ago and I try and take the topics seriously, particularly because 1.) They interest me massively and 2.) ATS is probably one of if not the only place right now where I have a chance to discuss and learn about them.

Sure, not all members being younger will do this and some will try and troll the boards causing havoc, it's unavoidable. But it's not restricted to just us like some seem to believe (referring to memory of past threads on the subject), I know I've come across some of the older members behaving in a much less appropriate way than some of the younger’s and of course likewise, reasoning is because as well as age not equalling knowledge it also doesn't equal maturity.

But you can't avoid it, it's always going to be here and those who clearly don't want to be here simply won't be.

But now you know, I hope it doesn't effect how seriously you take me.

That's something I always used to worry about as well to be honest but I think most know my age here already and I don't think I've been treated in any less way than I was when I was anonymous.

Most seem to be mature enough to understand that it’s a person’s words that are what’s really important here, not an irrelevant age or anything else like that.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Well said, RA.

I disagree. You are saying that I, like many others do not have the maturity to participate in ATS conversations? I'm sorry, but I fully disagree.

I have taken part in many threads of this boards...therefore I have participated into "ATS conversations" therefore I must have maturity.

One of the many reasons why ATS is so special is due to the large, diverse amount of members on here. That includes age. It's great to see the younger more aware of issues like this...rather this than knife crime.

Our generation; the teenagers have different opinions to what you may have. We should respect that.

Originally posted by Gradius Maximus
So long as they stick to the T&C of posting and have intellectual information to add or interesting points of view I welcome young adults to the ATS community.

If they didn't stick to the T&C, they would get the same treatment as the older members would - warnings and then be banned if they didn't rectify their mistake.

Originally posted by Sahabi
Sure, I want to do my part to help youngsters learn and become good people, but to be honest, the "American Teen" syndrome of talking back, being disrespectful, and "knowing it all" has left me with a prejudice.

Can I disagree with this? The Americans DO NOT represent the whole world.
Many, many, many of us are a direct contradiction to what you just listed as "attributes."

Originally posted by Rising Against
I also consider myself a "younger member" joining under this account at 17, and turning 18 not long ago and I try and take the topics seriously, particularly because 1.) They interest me massively and 2.) ATS is probably one of if not the only place right now where I have a chance to discuss and learn about them.

You, my brother, are a direct contradiction to the silliness of many thoughts of how we are not "mature" nor "clever" enough.

Your threads are bloody brilliant. So there everyone

edit on 22-10-2010 by BlackPoison94 because: 'cause I disagree that I'm not allowed to be on these boards XD

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join