It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking up for answers or influnce

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I'm curious! Who do you look up to for answers or influence in your life? There is many different types of people of this site. Myself I look up to empowerment and evidence. Empowerment is my character. I could use race, pride and anything else to empower myself and make myself the person who I want to be. As an Atheist I feel evidence is a huge influence for me. I just don't have faith in religion like when I was younger. So I look after me, myself and I. Or in other words. Objectivism. The philosophy of Ayn Rand. Tell me what you guys do in life with answers.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Who do you look up to for answers or influence in your life?
I try to look "inside" myself for answers when I can. When I'm looking for external answers and advice, I don't necessary "look up". What is higher than me? The president? Advanced ET's? What is lower than me? A homeless man? An insect? There is no one best source of answers. I try not to take "pride" in anything, I just accept what I am, the good and the bad. I could have been born as any other race, any other gender, any other country, any other species even. In the end I'm thankful for the fact that I'm able to experience a self-aware reality, I'm glad there is something rather than nothing in other words.

You demand scientific evidence where others rely on intuitiveness a little bit more. Both of these groups of people are important to finding answers. How do the best detectives crack a case? 99% of the time it's based on "gut feelings" and where they think the evidence is pointing. Instead of only relying on cold hard facts to lead the way, they try looking answers in places one wouldn't normally think to look.

Originally posted by CHA0S
Science already has an "idea" about how everything works, therefore there is a MISCONCEPTION that science is always correct about everything, and theories become more like fact. Science EXPECTS to see answers it has predicted, therefore it isn't looking where it doesn't think answers exist, and even denies such answers because it already thinks it has the answer without even looking.

It's a bit like mainstream TV news versus online alternative news websites. Which source do you honestly rely on more? Which do you trust more? I agree religion is a load of baloney, but as an atheist you believe there is no God right? I ask for proof of that claim. I'm an agnostic myself, meaning I don't subscribe to either "side" of the argument without more data. And that answer mostly came from inner cogitation.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_RebelSo I look after me, myself and I. Or in other words. Objectivism. The philosophy of Ayn Rand. Tell me what you guys do in life with answers.

I'm done with all of that self intellectual quest. It doesn't make me happy, it's the opposite actually, and a waste of time come to think of it. I'm older now, and being closer to God is definitely the better path for me. It's just not the same, all my life accomplishment without believing in love and God just seems hollow.. meaningless.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   

edit on Wed, 20 Oct 10 by Jazzyguy because: double post

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Well I can respect that. I used to be religious years back. Now I see God as a faith based idea with more influence then support. That's how I see religion in the world.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I tend to not look up to any single person but rather take in what many have to say and let it digest. If after some time and these ideas work for me then I have found that they will become a part of me, without much effort on my part. In fact I often have to go back and re read these sources to remind myself where these ideas came from in the first place.

People who specificaly stick out in my mind as inspirational are people who encourage me to think for myself and not be afraid to change my opinions and beliefs. The opposite is also true, anyone trying to ram their truth down my throat may get sprayed with vomit. That being said, I find it is often important to not 'throw the baby out with the bathwater' as it were. Some truly revolting people say some remarkably insightful things occasionally! I'm especially thinking of religion here, untill recently I would have laughed at the idea of being spiritual because of my dislike of religious organisations and dogma but slowly this has changed as I've realised that there is a lot more to it!

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I am sorry....sometimes, there aren't any higher entity to seek answers. In yourself? Believing in your own will? Sometimes, the answer isn't so much of what you need to do, it is what you need not to do. For me? It is in my dream. My spirit guides. Sometimes, their messages aren't always clear. It may even make you more confused. At times, I just let things be. At times, the answer is simply "time." The passage of time can moot a question you once thought it was bothering you.

top topics

join