It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Internet: Time is Running Out

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
The Internet; freedoms best friend.

But it is a friendship that, in the past few years, has become somewhat disregarded by those in the upper echelons of powers. Instead they see it as a threat to national security, in essence - The Internet; terrorisms best friend.

I raise this issue today because I was greeted by this in my newspaper this morning...

Terrorism and cyber war 'biggest threats to UK'

Terrorism and cyber attacks on computers over the internet have been identified as the gravest threats to Britain, national security bosses warned yesterday.

Web warfare was barely on their radar five years ago - but they fear the havoc and potential deaths which could be caused by electronic assaults on communications systems, such as for air travel or nuclear power plants.

It is now listed alongside terrorism, natural disasters such as a flu pandemic or an international military crisis in the top dangers to the UK.

Source

For nearly a decade now we have been fighting a war on terrorism (what terrorism?) and I fear the next battle lines are being drawn - cyber warfare will be our new enemy. Numerous pieces of legislation have already been put forward, some passing, some not, but all are a potential threat to our freedoms.

On April 1, 2009, Jay Rockefeller introduced the Cybersecurity Act of 2009 - S.773, a sort of Patriot Act for the internet, which...

...authorizes the Secretary of Commerce to sequester any information he deems necessary, without regard to any law.

It also authorizes the president to declare an undefined "cyber-emergency" which allows him to shut down any and all traffic to what he considers to be a compromised server

Source

As far as Rockefeller is concerned the internet should never have existed:

So, my question to you is this: Are we going to see a 'cyber false flag' event that will give justification for a more censored, mainstream internet service?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Great post! S&F due to the importance of the issue!

My fear isn't so much that there will be a cyber false flag. But rather that the Internet could be shut down during a real world issue.

I mean imagine of a western nations troops began initiating a martial law situation and they blacked out the media and the Internet just as they began...

All of the "survivalists" would be left in the dark with no way to initiate their escape plans. People would have no way of knowing if the government, military, or police were violating laws or civil and humanitarian rights. Anything could happen and there would be no way to get the word out.

Scary ideas indeed.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I think we already have a censored internet.
Last year at this time i could get anything I wanted.
Now trying to get to watch a free movie you want to see takes a day of searching where last year it was 1 search away.
Its already happening,more ads as well.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
It seems a misnomer that you quote a news story about internet security in the UK from this week and then quote a US law about an internet bill passed last year.

The two probably aren't related. While I do follow the NWO theory, I don't see conspiracy everywhere, that just doesn't make sense.

This is simply countries beefing up their internet security in preparation for a cyber or economic battle front, both of which will likely occur online in the foreseable future.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I think we are in for some cyber false flag i think thats what the iran thing was all about....getting us acustomed to a threat of this nature. How many people are going to support the kill switch being pulled?? This propoganda may influence a lot of people...the threat of no power...no fuel, this could make many people sacrifice the internet.

Its only a matter of time before the internet as we know it will be changed.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Thank you for this post
The powers that be are so transparent "Once You Know"
A good "Rule of Thumb" is to take what they say and reverse it in order to get closer to the truth.
Cyber security of course is an issue but who is the enemy?
This is yet another and probably the most dangerous interference of our freedom of speech.
A true "Trogan Horse" of fear mongering.
It is just a big fat lie to close down those who dissent and oppose dictatorial government.
In the UK we are so placid and force fed crap day in day out through the main stream controlled media.
WTF - The M.O.D have their own computer systems much more advanced than our watered down version.
Conspiricy what conspiricy this is so plain obvious what they are up to

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I can see that. Twitter and facebook would be shut down. Wifi and cellular signals would be cut off. Hard lines cut. Television stations put on their emergency broadcast channels. It would be a definite wake up call. On the flip side of that; maybe the completely opposite would happen. In a NWO government take over you might experience facebook or twitter lag. Hacked accounts could have their posts deleted or altered, television stations would be taken over, making sure the regularly scheduled programming continued on track, while policed areas having their cellular signals closed off. They wouldn't want to give people the heads up. Though they'd have a difficult time keeping the C.B.s off the air.
edit on 19-10-2010 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

The Internet; freedoms best friend. But it is a friendship that, in the past few years, has become somewhat disregarded by those in the upper echelons of powers. Instead they see it as a threat to national security, in essence - The Internet; terrorisms best friend. I raise this issue today because I was greeted by this in my newspaper this morning...

Great post..and worthy of an s & f.

Whenever I hear or see things related to this topic, my response is that no one is forcing the US gov't or any other gov't for that matter to connect their "critical" departments to the public internet. If they really believe it is unsafe or a threat they should simply disconnect from it and if necessary create a separate, non-public network to communicate between departments.

In reality, I believe those "separate, secure networks" already exist and have for quite some time - many of them publicly known and acknowledged. So, knowing the above you're left with two possible conclusions:

1 - It is a giant canard. It's really all about fear of the free flow of information and ideas. Freedom at it's core.

2 - They are simply faced with the same conundrum that all companies and individuals face with respect to the internet which is there is great value in the interconnectedness of the net, but along with that comes risk as well as some cost in the form of the loss of privacy (to varying degrees). But instead of dealing with that rationally, they behave like 3 year olds and demand we find a way to provide them the equivalent of a free lunch.

In my opinion it's some of both.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Good points Heff

It's very true, we are now so dependent upon the internet and other similar forms of technology that a complete or partial blackout of their services during a crisis would be like switching off the life-support machine.

It makes one appreciate those technologies/skills that are now deemed 'ancient' or 'old school', speaking of which, where is my Swiss Army knife...

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Originally posted by babybunnies
It seems a misnomer that you quote a news story about internet security in the UK from this week and then quote a US law about an internet bill passed last year.

It's not a misnomer, at all. Like I said, I cited the recent news story because it was what got me thinking, I have been waiting for this demonisation of the internet for a couple of years now and I am seeing it more and more lately. Headlines that link (sometimes subconsciously) the internet with terrorism.

The two probably aren't related.

You could be right.

This is simply countries beefing up their internet security in preparation for a cyber or economic battle front, both of which will likely occur online in the foreseable future.

And what do you think the results of such a battle would be for common internet users like you and I?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
yes back to this issue....it remains unsolved.

last time we left off on either dial-in modem style BBS (if the phones are still up)

or RLAN packet radio (difficult to setup, requires a lot of people and effort).

everytime i think about this one i can never imagine them trying to play out a disaster with no phone lines whatsoever, so im going to assume phone lines will still be working, in which case simply dialing out of the country would work as well but would require you to already have an overseas dialup account active.

i still think ATS should set up an emergency BBS. its better to put in the effort now and be ready, than to wait until its shut down and be sitting helpless ducks. its clear the internet is going to be shut down, the question is when and what will be happening at the time.

a radio-net would work too if there are enough ham operators out there.
edit on 19-10-2010 by RelentlessLurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
For all the people talking about what would happen if we had a shtf event and the net goes down.
Heres some advice....learn what you need to learn now and quit relying on something other then your own brain.
Have a plan that doesn't require the internet.

The more you KNOW...the less you need.
I said KNOW not look up or google search.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
For all the people talking about what would happen if we had a shtf event and the net goes down.
Heres some advice....learn what you need to learn now and quit relying on something other then your own brain.

Kudos to a good point. Google won't be working if the power goes out, or if the internet shuts down. Become a sponge of know how. Don't think you'll end up with someone who'll feed you, or educate you on the intricacies of firearms. Even if you never need the information, its something you can pass along to another generation who might.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

i think you misunderstood the scenario at hand.

this isnt SHTF post nuke survival....this is simply the internet being turned off via homeland security for whatever reason they give (which can more than likely be a lame one...i.e. "cyber attack")

it not going to be chaos in the streets with no power and all that. were simply going to be shut out at the ISP level across the board. your computers will still work.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...reply to post by LiveForever8

I started a similar thread on this yesterday.Mostly to get discussion on the future of the web and what will happen if its access is restrcited to only a few, or the rich.I dont include any videos, but a brief history of its origins and where it could possibly be going.I noticed yesterday you comment on another thread about how someone created the same thread you were working on.So I'm hoping its a coincedence you came up with the same thread idea as me.I dont know if this is allowed on ATS, but if you flag mine , I'll flag yours!
Peace.
edit on 19-10-2010 by mark1167 because: typo, link

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by RelentlessLurker

Didn't misunderstand a thing.
Read Hefficide's post.
If a real world crisis happens with the internet offline is the line I am refering to.
That can be anything really.

Now read the op responce to Heff.
(the last line)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

A new proposal by a top Microsoft executive would open the door for government licensing to access the Internet, with authorities being empowered to block individual computers from connecting to the world wide web under the pretext of preventing malware attacks.

Speaking to the ISSE 2010 computer security conference in Berlin yesterday, Scott Charney, Microsoft vice president of Trustworthy Computing, said that cybersecurity should mirror public health safety laws, with infected PC's being "quarantined" by government decree and prevented from accessing the Internet.

First Amendment Ruling Destined To Kill Internet Free Speech

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Go Alex Go - lets whoop the NWO
OK so he is not perfect but who is
A true american hero

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

oh im sorry i thought you said everybody, i didnt realize you were addressing hefficide.

in the video mr. rockefeller is speaking of a cyber attack, not a SHTF.

unless you consider that a SHTF.....in which case, refer to my last post.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Great post>
I agree with all of you, although once they've turned the internet into one big facegoogletube government spying, propaganda machine, they won't need to turn it off-there won't be any reason to. You won't get any real news anymore, all your comments will be 'censored'.
I think it's reasonable to assume that we won't be allowed to talk one-on-one anymore, and all technical data will be severely limited. Keep that old modem! Don't throw away that old rig.
Hell i used to get tesla's plans on my old Amiga with a dial-up BBS-slow as hell but it worked, and the Amiga can be 'invisible' on the net, it can fake it's IP adress. That's why they were banned in the US
And this was 1985!
Ham radio's; a great idea, everyone should get a Yaesu or Icom multimode rig, they are very expensive, but well worth it, several have RTTY and sat uplinks built in! Use shortwave, anything between 10-30MHz-better coverage, harder to jam.Easy to set up a daisy chain on a specific channel like REACT did with channel 9.
Download the hacker's handbook while you still can

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join