It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate Flag Draws Criticism, Protests

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cole DeSteele
Yeah, the swastika is a bad bad symbol. The attempted genocide it flew over has stained it for all eternity.

Just as Old Glory did here in America. To a Native American. Like myself.

If you don't like my Confederate flag, don't look at it.

If its not in public view - - then there is no problem of that is there.

As much as I have sympathy for the Native American - - - the real truth is - - if Native Americans had banded together as One Nation - - - the outcome of this country would be different. But they didn't. They continued tribal warfare amongst themselves - - even using White Man to invade and conquer rival tribes. They were defeated because they were divided.

I'm not really into symbolism of any kind (or borders for that matter). Feel free to fly your Tribes Flag. The Confederate Flag has nothing to do with any Native American Tribe - - as far as I know.

The American Flag - - "On July 4, 1776, the Continental Congress passed a resolution authorizing a committee to devise a seal for the United States of America. This mission, designed to reflect the Founding Fathers' beliefs, values, and sovereignty of the new Nation, did not become a reality until June 20, 1782. In heraldic devices, such as seals, each element has a specific meaning. Even colors have specific meanings. The colors red, white, and blue did not have meanings for The Stars and Stripes when it was adopted in 1777. However, the colors in the Great Seal did have specific meanings. Charles Thompson, Secretary of the Continental Congress, reporting to Congress on the Seal, stated:

"The colors of the pales (the vertical stripes) are those used in the flag of the United States of America; White signifies purity and innocence, Red, hardiness & valour, and Blue, the color of the Chief (the broad band above the stripes) signifies vigilance, perseverance & justice."

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Here is a Historical Truth of the Confederate Battle Flag. (damn hard to find facts on this - - so many sentiments and opinions to wade through).

Heritage Preservation Association

This an internet adaptation of the brochure "Southern Flags ... An Illustrated History" published by the Heritage Preservation Association, copyright 1996.

No other symbols in American life are the subject of more attention than traditional Southern flags. They have become political tools used by many organizations whose philosophies are diametrically opposed.

To the vast majority of Americans, however, Southern flags are the beloved symbols of a fallen nation, the Confederate States of America. This brochure was developed by the Heritage Preservation Association to show the history and the true meaning of the most well known symbols of the South.

www.hpa.org...

EDIT: to be clear - - the Georgia flag no longer displays the "Stars and Bars". A new design was adopted May 8, 2003.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 18-10-2010 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

What you mean you want the black community let go of something that ended 150 years ago?NO WAY!, Dont get me wrong now I'm cool with black people but man they like to hold a grudge.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrancoUn-American

What you mean you want the black community let go of something that ended 150 years ago?NO WAY!, Dont get me wrong now I'm cool with black people but man they like to hold a grudge.

...and the current-day Southerners who still are screaming "The South Shall Rise Again" have somehow let it go?

This is the perfect pinning of my point that both sides are equally digging for history here. As I have said, the war ended with a decisive Union victory, if that still stings to some individuals personally, then it shows that there is some history to come to terms with.

Nobody whom was a southern slave is still alive, nobody who was a Confederate soldier is still alive, let the dead stay dead and leave the fighting to ghosts. We've got more pressing problems to worry about today.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectJimmy

Originally posted by FrancoUn-American

...and the current-day Southerners who still are screaming "The South Shall Rise Again" have somehow let it go?

This is the perfect pinning of my point that both sides are equally digging for history here. As I have said, the war ended with a decisive Union victory, if that still stings to some individuals personally, then it shows that there is some history to come to terms with.

Nobody whom was a southern slave is still alive, nobody who was a Confederate soldier is still alive, let the dead stay dead and leave the fighting to ghosts. We've got more pressing problems to worry about today.

Yep! I'm a progressionist. It's one thing to look at the past - - so you can try to avoid making the same mistakes (or looking at what worked and trying to apply it to today).

But the Confederate Battle Flag - - - is "living in the past". There is no reason or justification for it to be waved in public today.

"You're still here? It's over. Go home..."

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

One of these days, I'm going to burn both an American flag and a Confederate flag at the same time. I might even throw in a Bible, a Koran and the Talmud as well.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by HomerinNC

One of these days, I'm going to burn both an American flag and a Confederate flag at the same time. I might even throw in a Bible, a Koran and the Talmud as well.

Fine with me. Could care less.

I'd kinda like to preserve the constitution though.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Well spoken friend and I agree,
moving on......

spec

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
The argument over the CSA Battle Flag and the right to fly it is like last Christmas's fruit cake...it just won't go away and shows up every other year.

The Battle Flag has a long and checkered history, but as an American... the lady has a right to fly it. Flying that flag is no more racist than calling an Arican American..."colored"....as in he was a colored man....but it some how doesn't bother anyone that the NAACP is calling blacks colored...as in National Association for the Advancement of Colored People...further, would it be racist to provide equal opportunity to whites to form the NAAWP? Not trying to throw a "red herring" but simply making a point or playing "devil's advocate."

Some point out that the majority of white voters voted against Obama and that that shows racism, however, if the majority of "colored" voters voted for Obama...is that racism?

I say fly the flag... and let the critics fly the flag of their choosing. If a piece of cloth offends you, go get a life.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I don't know about your local city..... but my local city the Latino / puerto ricans have no problem riding around in their car with the Puerto Rico flag flapping away.

Just don't ask them for papers.

Try driving through the city sporting the confederate flag / or even the american flag and you will be jacked / assaulted.
edit on 18-10-2010 by Zaanny because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaanny
I don't know about your local city..... but my local city the Latino / puerto ricans have no problem riding around in their car with the Puerto Rico flag flapping away.

Puerto Rico represents a country (territory). We have lots of Mexican and Canadian Flags here.

Not even close to the same as the Confederate Flag. The Confederate Flag belongs in the same category as the Swastika. A symbol that has taken on negative meaning from a Time in the Past.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

Your not only racist, your also woefully ignorant of the facts. Puerto Ricans are naturally citizens, and can come to the mainland US legally anytime as PR is a US territory. They were nearly a state several times, but for various reasons (including unpopularity) it never happened. Project Jimmy, it was very interesting getting your take from across the pond, I found your posts enlightening and impeccable. And Whatukno! I know right! The don't tread on me represents rebellion against the stamp tax (Boston tea party was a result) and is both appropiate and non-offensive... Though I can see how a Native American Indian could find any form of American flag offensive.
edit on 18-10-2010 by siahchi because: Post error

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Call me whatever you want...

I love the fact that every nationality can group together and fight for their rights...

But when DA WHITE MAN stands his ground and stands shoulder to shoulder with his fellow white man he is a hood wearing racist

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Good golly, I agree with you! The end of the world is nigh!

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

You're right .. it was an "Enemy" flag.. though, imo, we would have been better off as a Confederacy and slavery would have eventually died out, as it had in every other Industrialized nation without the need for War. Though the point behind it all was much greater.. technically speaking, the system we have now did not exist before the Civil War .. so it wasn't an enemy flag to Americans, because technically speaking it was more in line with our original doctrine than the Federalist system was and is. It was an enemy flag to the Union, the Federalist system that after the Civil War became what it is today.. personally, I see the Unions flag as the enemy's flag.

But that's the great thing about the US .. we still barely have the right to say what we want, act as we want, and believe what we want. Others might protest in front of our homes for flying a flag because their "feelings" were hurt, but it's our right to hurt someones feelings if it represents a personal belief. Enter the dilemma of political correctness.

Technically the British was an enemy of the US, so was the USSR, the Chinese, the Koreans, Germans, Spanish, Mexico, France, the UK, Canada, Italy, Iraq, and many others. We've been to war with all of them. But is someone going to protest in front of my house because I'm flying a French flag? Or a UK flag? Or an Italian, Russian, or a Korean flag? No ... so why would some ignorant individuals protest a Confederate flag?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Among many other reasons, all having to do with states preserving their rights over Federal law.

Yes, they saw slavery as a states issue and viewed any Federal move to end slavery as an invasion of that right. It comes right back to slavery.

Confederates had slaves. No one denies it. But it wasn't the primary motive for war.

Then what was the primary reason? And could you reference sources?
edit on 18-10-2010 by Southern Guardian because: fix

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

Nobody protests the Polish highlanders association, or Oktoberfest, or the Lithuanian American council. They DO protest the klutz clan and fairyans because unfortunately the world is all too well aware what gatherings of hateful, angry white men lead too. Genocide, rape, torture, terror, and destruction. And learn to spell in your glorious Anglo Saxon mother tongue, you poor, unfairly treated, unentitled oppressed WHITE MAN!
edit on 18-10-2010 by siahchi because: I said something mean about him and sheep knowing each other like in the biblical sense, and realized it was not right

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I'm going to burn a copy of that too, since it too, is an useless document.

My point is, we all put too much value into symbols and flags and books. Where have any of them gotten us?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Genocide, rape, torture, terror, and destruction are activities I have not partaken in. I live in NY and have ZERO association with any skinhead or neo nazi affiliations. But hey if you want to lambaste me for my opinions go right ahead....

Whatever floats your canoe

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by Annee

I'm going to burn a copy of that too, since it too, is an useless document.

My point is, we all put too much value into symbols and flags and books. Where have any of them gotten us?

OK - - burn a copy of that too.

Hang the code, and hang the rules. They're more like guidelines anyway.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join