It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU protecting civil liberties?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
The ACLU has been in the news many times recently. One of the most recent was concering the lawsuit that they pressed in Los Angelas saying that the Christian Cross should not be on the county's seal. To little suprise, they won the case. But at what expense? The Christians of LA? Maybe... But what is their true agenda here?

If you notice the main figure on the seal is Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruits and trees representing the region�s agriculture. Are they saying that some religions are okay and some aren't? The county of Los Angelas was originally settled by Christian missionaries, which is culturally significant to that area I would believge. Just as significant as the agriculture and such.
LA seal

To be honest, I am truly confused as to what the ACLU is trying to accomplish. I support some things they they do, but many things are just rediculous. Some issues they press even take away from some personal freedoms in my opinion. Protecting one persons freedoms can sometimes be infringing on other peoples' freedoms. What side will the ACLU take when an issue like "Should people have the right to infringe on other peoples rights?" come up?? Logically I would think people should not be able to infringe on other people's rights, but I could see the ACLU defending the other side. That may be a bad example, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

I know most everyone here on ATS is very well educated and smart, so I am hoping for your opinions on where the ACLU is heading and whether they are helping or harming the United States and personal freedoms.

new topics

join