It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to conduct a proper paranormal investigation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I see all of these threads about the ghost huning tv shows, are they fake or real, and I think I can provide some clarity as to why they are trash. I've run a couple of teams and we conduct very controlled investigations, I'll give you a rundown.

First, only one person does interviews with the client. A client's tales can corrupt an investigators thought process and influence their experiences. Any investigators entering the house on day one are not informed of any client claims.

The clients are not allowed in the home for the duration of the investigation. They can corrupt the integrity of the data and may be actively hoaxing. They can also influence the investigators experiences. The interviewer does a walkthrough with them and collects data on the claimed activity.

Fixed exterior cameras and motion sensors cover the entire exterior of the home and a perimeter is created to eliminate tampering. The house is then inspected by the team. We actually sweep for microphones and such. We inspect every nook and cranny to eliminate the possibility that there is any hoaxing taking place. Anything with a speaker is removed from the house provided we're able to remove it. Typically only stereo speakers and that sort of thing. Why? CB's can blare through stereo speakers even if they are unplugged. If a tractor trailer driver with a cb amp of 500 watts is talking within 100 feet of the speaker his voice will come through. After the mic sweep, then comes an emf sweep to take a base reading of the entire house. This is typically done by 3 different meters. Anomolies and locations are noted.

Once the house is clear, this means under matresses behind books, checking the underwear drawer, the works, fixed cameras are installed. All exterior windows and doors are covered from the outside as well as the inside. All interior entry/exit points are covered as well. We typically have roof mounted cameras so we can detect any exterior light source entering the house, car lights, flashlights etc... Each room is covered by thermal as well.

Audio is setup now as well. Two digital recorders per room. Each video camera is supported by a motion activated camera taking stills.

Then each room is double checked, again with all of our equipment on. EMF, thermal cam sweep, temp readings as well as a geiger counter. Everything is logged and accounted for.

This process will generally start at 7 or 8 am and take about 12 hours to complete. Initial research also notes (if applicable) air traffic, trains, any construction, water pumps, ac, heat, etc.... We have to rule out the normal before we even begin to look at the paranormal.

Once the perimeter is sealed and inspected the investigation begins. Typically someone with mediumistic abilities does a walkthrough. And may do the 1st round. In most cases only one investigator in the house at a time. This avoids contamination. The investigator is equipped with a digital voice recorder. Nightvision headgear attached to a recorder and a handheld thermal unit. Also has the geiger and emf. On a 3000 sq ft home each investigator has about a 2 hour walkthrough.(depending on activity)

As the 1st investigator leaves he has no contact with anyone else entering the home that night. Once he's clear, Investigator 2 enters. It's important to make sure all equipment is calibrated prior to entry.

At the end of the 1st night, the house remains sealed with no entry allowed. The cameras remain active for the duration to ensure the integrity of the investigation. The review team goes over all evidence from the previous night. After review, the review team are given the investigator notes to see if any finds are confirmed or paralleled or simply missed. I think blind review is important.

Night 2 is a different story. We review the previous night with the client and the investigators are made aware of all pertinent information regarding the sight. Needless to say night one is a blind investigation and night 2 is a targeted investigation. Investigators then conduct the review and ahve a Q @ A with the clent. Night two repeats the process but with more targeted investigative techniques.

Rinse repeat on the review process and client review. If it's determined to be a legitimate haunting, we meet with the client and try to determine what they wish to do to resolve the matter.

EVPS are crap. Disembodied voices in a secured environment with only one investigator in the home are far more credible.

One investigator in the house at a time eliminates the possibility of audio contamination or mysterious shadow figures that are actually another investigator. It can put the investigator at risk in malevolent situations or demonic situations. Different protocols are put in place for those investigations.

Now in possession cases we use a different protocol. Now on occasion if we have a spectacular events we typically polygraph the investigator in traditional investigations.

In the possession cases we deal with a few. Totally different protocol. We still sweep and monitor the house but the only active investigation is done in areas where the possessed will be. The house is swept without the clients present and we utilize hidden cameras in many areas especially the main areas where the possessed is. They are 1st subjected to a psychiatric evaluation and a medical exam. They are then interviewed and polygraphed if we make it to that point. They are then monitored undisturbed via hidden camera for a minimum of six hours. We have a former Catholic priest, a jesuit(so he's a thinking man's priest) and we evaluate the (victim). If they have passed the psyche, med and polygraph then we try to see if they meet the criteria for possesion and thusly exorcism.

We then attempt to evaluate what form of exorcism would be appropriate. I am a firm believer that some demons are prechristian and don't respond to exorcism through Christ. There are religon specific demons. There are demons that predate religion. If the determination of possession is made then the hidden dvr and audio footage is wiped. Any documentation done after that is done on film which has been blessed by multiple religous practioners. There are certain requirements prior to viewing or listening to any footage.

Lastly, for whatever reason we find that about 60% of all people seeking investigations attempt to perpetuate some sort of hoax. And they get caught in the sweep. 1 out of 100 slips through. But if we catch anyone attempting to hoax the polygraph comes out. No pointing in wasting 3 days. Another note if the family is being attacked or a specific person being targeted we will have them in on a 3rd night if possible or the 2nd night if we can't get the 3rd. If anything results from that then a polygraph is in order again.

Our goal is to find consistency in emf, thermal, radiation readings with paranormal activity in a controlled environment so that we may understand these entities better and one day quantify their existence. But more importantly is to help those who are opressed by agressive entities.

Now as a point of reference we do sign confidentiality agreements with every client. But I can tell you that many of the famous "most haunted locations" you see on these shows are the very places where we've caught the worst hoaxes. Very few possession cases pass scrutiny. Maybe 1 out of 100 turn out legit. About 35% turn out to be undiagnosed mental illness. About 50% are the possessed crying out for attention. The other 14% are perpetuated by the family for attention.

If I can add or expand on anything then let me know. I will tell you one place we did that Ghost Adventures did was Bobby Mackey's. No hoax there. If you get a chance watch their 2 episodes on that. They may have put some showmanship into it but the sight is legit.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Good advice in your post.

I'm an amateur paranormal investigator. I don't have much experience at it. I was fortunate to meet someone who has been investigating for about 10 years. I've learned a lot from him. And I've learned some more from you!

Thanks!

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Thank you so much for this thread! It makes me feel better knowing that there are at least some paranormal investigators out there that are so thorough. A lot of the things you mentioned I would never have even thought of doing. I think what you described above should be the standard approach to all paranormal investigations. Would you mind if I asked you some questions?

What is the most common paranormal event that investigators experience?
How exactly would you approach exorcisms for demons that pre-date religion?
You mentioned that there are religion-specific demons. Are you aware if this includes non-Abrahamic religions?
What do you do after you've uncovered a hoax?
How accurate are the mediums that you work with?

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DrJay1975

Well if I ever feel I have a haunting on my hands I think I will call you. Sounds to me that you and your team are very through. I do not believe most of the paranormal shows, but I do love to watch Ghost Adventures. They may over exaggarate (sorry I can not spell today) but they are fun to watch and Zak is nice to look at

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by DrJay1975

This is a fantastic post, Dr.Jay.

I look forward to talking with you about a few topics in the future.

I've got a couple questions regarding the exorcism process.

What are the reactions of christian demons to non christian methods and vice versa?

Is there a method that affects all tiers and classes of demons?

How do you get involved in these processes or find out if you are cut out for them?

Blessings,

-G

top topics

join