It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bronze Age civilisation discovered in Russian Caucasus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
There seems to be a lot of exciting finds happening at the moment, what with the artefacts coming out of the glaciers and the 'mini-Pompeii' in Scandinavia. Here's another interesting find hitting the news. Unfortunately, the article doesn't have any piccies, but I'll do a search and see if I can't find some.

Traces of a previously unknown Bronze Age civilisation have been discovered in the peaks of Russia's Caucasus Mountains thanks to aerial photographs taken 40 years ago, researchers said on Monday.

"We have discovered a civilisation dating from the 16th to the 14th centuries BC, high in the mountains south of Kislovodsk," in Russia's North Caucasus region, Andrei Belinsky, the head of a joint Russian-German expedition that has been investigating the region for five years, told AFP.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
There is a couple of small pics of structures from the site along with the same articlehere but I am struggling to find anything better. According to the article the Kuban culture is known for its bronze work, I was hoping to find some of that to post. Will keep looking..

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Can't seem to find anything else much on the Kuban culture yet.

Here's some stuff from the Koban culture from the same region (possibly related?)..
Koban metalwork

The Maykop culture found in the valley of the Kuban river was also noteworthy for its bronze artefacts (possibly related?).

I don't know whether any bronze artefacts have actually been recovered from the site in the article or whether they are expecting to find something similar to what was produced by the above two cultures. I expect that we will have just have to wait and see.

peace
J

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Nice thread S&F's
I searched "koban" in the Getty Research Institute site and got some good results for such a rare topic:
discover.getty.edu... format=999

There were 12 hits in digitized collections only though no physical items.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I believe its safe to say that we have never, and probably will never have a definitive picture of this world's history. From the Celtic mummies found in Asia that predate egyptian mummies, to the viking artifacts found in the North East of the United States. Every year a different picture is painted, and every new year the picture changes drastically. They're finding whole cities in the Jungles of South America using satellites. New oceanic technologies are finding lost civilizations under the seas.
There's an entire sections of history out there that we haven't even discovered yet, and new quantum studies are showing that its because we haven't created them yet. There are new studies that show that we may be creating our past as quickly as we're reaching into the future. It was an interesting read, but I'm getting off topic. My point is, we may never find out everything there is to know about the world, and I find that a good thing. So much of the world's magic has been erased by technology over the decades, I'm kind of glad there is still some mystery out there.

edit on 12-10-2010 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

top topics

join