It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosive Device' Found in Second Street Cemetery

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Explosive Device' Found in Second Street Cemetery

www.dnainfo.com

EAST VILLAGE — A plastic garbage bag containing C4, but no blasting caps, was found in an East Village cemetery on Monday, causing the bomb squad to evacuate nearby residents from their homes, police sources said.

The makeshift device, which was found in Marble Cemetery on 2nd Street between First and Second Avenues just before 11 a.m. on Monday, did not explode — and could not have exploded — without the cap, the NYPD said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
they found a black garbage bag full of c4 but with no blasting caps in new york. my theory is that it was a dead drop, and someone was supposed to pick them up, but they were discovered. could be some weird stuff about to happen in this country. one thing is certain i doubt the c4 was there to blow up dead people.

www.dnainfo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRepublic

You never know... I have often thought of blowing up dead people... They plain scare me to death! All BS aside..Dead people should NOT be up and walking around anyway!!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

The makeshift device, which was found in Marble Cemetery on 2nd Street between First and Second Avenues just before 11 a.m. on Monday, did not explode — and could not have exploded — without the cap, the NYPD said.

Then it is not a device; merely 1 ingredient for a device.

Even the smallest of mis-truth in unacceptable from any "news" media. Report the facts or don't report. (Not a dig at the thread starter, I know he/she has nothing to do with this, I'm just getting more and more sick everyday of the media presenting crap, whether it be purposefully or not.)
edit on 10/11/2010 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

I totally agree. A bag full of explosives is not a "device". Add in a fusing component, and then we are talking about a device.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BomSquad

i think the device thing is stupid too, but i had to label it that way because all the media is calling it that, haha.
it looks like you may have some knowledge of exsplosives, what could 8 bricks of c4 do? im curious how much "boom" was in that bag...
edit on 11-10-2010 by TheRepublic because: i cant speel

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Yhea that sounds like a dead drop to me. - And you could fit a heck of a lot of C4 in a bin liner - depending on how full it is, even a 3rd full would be at least 5 suicide vests.

Makes you think how much more of the stuff is floating around in the wrong hands, C4 is perfect because it's military grade, safe to handle and I think it's got a very good shelf life...

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Exactly. Very poor reporting.

Nothing about C4 is "makeshift." And 1 ingredient of a sophisticated explosive does not make a "device."

This sounds like some sort of drop that went bad. Cemetaries are good quiet places to make anonymous meetings. C4 almost always has military or intelligence agency roots. This is either an elaborate set up or a monumental screw up, but something big is, or was, going down in NY!

Star and Flag. Regardless of the outcome, C4 in a large quantity is BIG NEWS on any day!!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Link doesn't go to that story anymore? It goes to a generic page, and I searched and couldn't find the story.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

still works for me, might be a glitch. here it is again:
www.dnainfo.com...

here from the washington post also:
www.washingtonpost.com...

it will be intresting to see the development of how the media covers this, will they say it was placed there by a careless construction worker? will they try and sweep the story under the rug? or will the blame it on the boogie man, osama?

who knows?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

That link still works for me, also a quick google news search came up with a number of reports all more or less saying the same

Six to eight blocks of the plastic, military-grade explosive, formally known as Composition 4, were found in a black plastic garbage bag just inside Marble Cemetery, on E. Second St., between First and Second Aves.

It's most typically found in blocks weighing 1¼ pounds, each of which has the explosive power of 10 grenades and is capable of blowing up a car or felling a tree.
link

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

The Washington Post link worked for me, but the other one is still not working. Maybe my work computer is blocking it for some reason (usually an adverstisement that triggers the filter).

Could be some type of construction worker misplaced it, but whoever heard of C4 in a black plastic bag, and whoever heard of a construction worker just carrying it around with them while they visit a cemetary?

Here is my rule of thumb for all these types of stories:
1. If it becomes a really big deal in the press, then we know it was intentionally placed for attention and is no real danger.
2. If it gets swept under the rug, we know it was the real deal, and we got lucky that most criminal types are pretty sloppy and careless, and there is still no danger.
3. If we never heard about it in the first place, and we are only talking after the fact, then it was a well-funded professional from any number of sources, but it is over and I'm still alive.

Really, when you look at it that way, why do we watch the news at all?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

8 bricks of C4 would be quite a boom.

Here's 24 bricks so in theory it would be 3 times smaller.

Here's 15 lbs about the equivalent of 8 bricks. (p.s. It's not a missile it's a primer cord._

edit on 11-10-2010 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

i think your theory makes sense. should be about one third of the 24. even so that would be quite a boom in densely populated NY city. I wish more info would come out but it is just endless repeats of the same few sentances," woker found c4 in graveyard, no one knows how it got there." If no more info comes out then we know something fishy was going on, even though that is fairly obvious already. who would leave c4 in a graveyard anyway? there is know concieveable reason for it to be there.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
but whoever heard of C4 in a black plastic bag,

Actually the only times I have seen the raw C4 handled has been on television shows like future weapons... Usually there is this cool old Explosives expert Dr Sidney Alford and all he does is open up the trunk of his car and pulls C4 from a black bin bag for his demonstration! - In fact I have seen a number of explosive principles demonstrated this way by a few experts, always pulling C4 from a black plastic bag, usually in the trunk of a car... It does seem to be a fairly standard non de script way of containing the stuff.... If you don't want people to be breaking into your car each time they see a box labelled explosives in there, a black bag seems to be the way to go.

edit: OK this is a clear bag, but you get the idea.... This is a tool called a bangalore blade used for barbed wire clearance and other stuff, it's basically C4 in a plastic case........ Skip to the 1 min mark to see him fill it up.

edit on 11/10/2010 by Now_Then because: youtube

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
from the report on the news today its goes like this:

the explosive was found back in july the caretaker put it somewhere else and "forgot" about it.......

til today when some other person found and called the cops.................so it was there for months...........

so deaddrop? well it was buried and found only when the dude at the cemetary was digging for put in a bush.....

so the real deal of the story is ? well...............there was a news conference about it with not much to add other than there was a note found a poilce car that was written with some religious dialogs..............

so find the video of that press conference and judge for yourself.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

LOL!

Maybe you are right?!?!?

I have only seen it on production floors where it was made, and it was boxed up. I have also see "emulsives" produced and packaged, and it is in varying shapes and sizes of sausage tubes.

Maybe a non-descript plastic bag is a good way to transport and store the stuff. It makes sense to me. I still have a hard time believing it could be "mis-placed." That stuff is regulated pretty dang closely!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

can you post a link to the video or tell me where i can find that? id really like to see it. did several diffrent youtube and google searches and nothing is showing up. where did you hear this? even if it was found months ago, someone still found c4 at a graveyard so it is still suspicious. also who finds c4 and hides it and forgets about it? who finds something odd and decides not to throw it out but to keep it, yet never try and figure out what it is? the whole story seems odd to me.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Yeah I know what you mean. C4 is not exactly something you can just pick up at the corner store.....

2nd line.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
ok i found something

NYPD: C-4 in NYC cemetery first found last fall

NEW YORK —
Police say an employee doing gardening work dug up a garbage bag containing military-grade explosives at a historic Manhattan cemetery last fall but left it at the site. It remained there until a volunteer told authorities about it on Monday.

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join