It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fred Phelps' daughters sing 'Crazy Train'; U.S. Supreme Court torn over case

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Fred Phelps' daughters sing 'Crazy Train'; U.S. Supreme Court torn over case

www.msopr.com

“I am sickened and disgusted by the use of ‘Crazy Train’ to promote messages of hate and evil by a ‘church,’” singer OZZY OSBOURNE said in response to news that Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church used lyrics from his song at events surrounding Tuesday’s (10/6/10) Snyder v. Phelps Supreme Court hearing. An attorney--a daughter of the church’s founder, along with her sister--paraphrased lyrics from OSBOURNE’s “Crazy Train” at a post-Supreme Court hearing press conference in Washington D.C.
(visit the link for the full news article)

______

More info available now...

Before the U.S. Supreme Court yesterday, Fred Phelps' daughter and legal advocate Margie was surprisingly cogent in her defense of Westboro Baptist Church yahoos protesting military funerals. Outside however, she put on some musical theater that made her family look like nothing more than pathetic caricatures...

...But the Phelpses wouldn't be satisfied with a legal draw in the high court. That's not how they roll. During a press conference, Margie and her sister delighted reporters with a rousing parody of Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train," singing, "You're going straight to hell on your crazy train!" They're just so darn clever! Video of the family band can be found here. The Topeka Capital-Journal also reports that Abigail Phelps had a little aria mocking the Marine Hymn that was "not suitable for publication." An arena tour is definitely in their future.

Source
edit on 10/7/10 by Hefficide because: added content to OP

edit on 10/7/2010 by maria_stardust because: Mod Edit: Altered thread title to reflect actual article headline. Please review link: Breaking Alternative News guidelines

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Thoughts ATS? When even Ozzy, a man known for biting the heads off a dove and a bat, dislikes being associated with you... It has to mean something!

I personally hope that Ozzy files suit. Fred Phelps has a right to freedom of speech, certainly, but he also needs to deal with the public reaction to his exercise of those rights.

Personal responsibility requires that we be aware of how our words, actions, or statements effect others.

Go Ozzy!

~Heff

www.msopr.com

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Why would Westboroians paraphrase a satan-worshipping, bat-eating, drug-shooting, dirty-talking, grungy rockstar like Ozzy?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I don't blame Ozzy a bit. If you listen to the song, you'll see that it's basically about peace and love. It's sad to see it put to such hateful use. I hope he sues and wins. These people need to be shut down.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SmedleyBurlap

Exactly....shouldn;t they be completely unaware of the his works?

And what did they use?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Oh, the irony! The man whom some branches of Christians once branded as "evil" is disgusted with how "evil" some of the branches of Christians are. To be labeled as more "evil" and "hateful" than the "lap-dog of Satan" himself has to be pretty damning to that Church.

Parodying lyrics is a protected form of Free Speech under the First Amendment, so Mr. Osbourne has no legal recourse (well, a money-grubbing lawyer might go after Defamation under the premise that this Church is confusing people over the use of a parody of his song to make people believe that Mr. Osbourne approves of the context in some way). HOWEVER, I think he's doing the right thing publicly speaking out in disgust to shame them.

When you get chastised by Ozzy, clearly you're doing something seriously wrong.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Yet Ozzy has no problems flying to Israel to perform, no issue whatsoever. I'm not saying it's right or wrong going there but if you want to get political about the 'Church' then him performing there does have meaning.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Caveat Lector

The Jewish "homeland" has what bearing on a Christian group?

And does he not have fans there as well? So he should just ignore them

And Rage Against the Machine should not have performed in Cuba?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Ozzy has done a few songs relating to peace and love!

I totally agree... Why would a priest be listening to a "Satan" worshiper?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Along with reading their BuyBull every week, maybe they should watch "The People vs Larry Flynt" to gain at least a modicum of understanding. Ignorance and small mindedness are almost a prerequisite for many of these groups. They also have elevated denial to the point where irony and Hypocrisy are meaningless.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
This was my favourite song for a LONG time. There isn't a single part of it which is relevant to their cause and clearly they have ignored the message of the first verse:

Crazy, but that's how it goes. Millions of people living as foes.
Maybe it's not too late, to learn how to love and forget how to hate.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Go Ozzy! I hope his attourneys do find a way to soak this Phelps fella for alot of money. How ironic indeed, his Ozziness is slammed by Christianity, and yet a "Christian" church parodies one of his songs.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

OZZY OSBOURNE: "DISGUSTED" BY CHURCH

www.msopr.com

“I am sickened and disgusted by the use of ‘Crazy Train’ to promote messages of hate and evil by a ‘church,’” singer OZZY OSBOURNE said in response to news that Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church used lyrics from his song at events surrounding Tuesday’s (10/6/10) Snyder v. Phelps Supreme Court hearing. An attorney--a daughter of the church’s founder, along with her sister--paraphrased lyrics from OSBOURNE’s “Crazy Train” at a post-Supreme Court hearing press conference in Washington D.C.

pfft ozzyosbourne who cares what he thinks, hes a talentless idiot who screams down the mike and earns money, he doesnt even have a nice voice

after what he did to the doves which were LIVE
i have no respect for him ever.. sick person

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Ozzy just has a bad reputation to some.he's just misunderstood most of the time. OZZY RULES DUDES!

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

“tiny Kansas church…[that]…preaches that U.S. deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq are punishment for American’s tolerance of homosexuality and abortion.”

If Ozzy is the "Prince of Darkness" then that church is the "Jester of Darkness" for spreading such laughable retardation.

Yeah... god kills U.S. soldiers because we allow people sexual freedoms. What else does god do? Kill a bunch of kittens and puppies because more and more people are leaving the idea of church behind them?

Their idea of god sounds more like satan if you asked me. Some people have no idea what they truly believe in. It is these people that should not be allowed to adopt kids, not gay couples.

edit on 7-10-2010 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Thoughts ATS? When even Ozzy, a man known for biting the heads off a dove and a bat, dislikes being associated with you... It has to mean something!

I personally hope that Ozzy files suit. Fred Phelps has a right to freedom of speech, certainly, but he also needs to deal with the public reaction to his exercise of those rights.

Personal responsibility requires that we be aware of how our words, actions, or statements effect others.

Go Ozzy!

~Heff

www.msopr.com

Great post !
I'm always in favor of posting info about phelps. I liken it to turning on the lights so the cockroaches scatter !
Yes they have freedom of speech and this proves how tolerant America is !
I do think that a federal law should be passed to prevent ANY demonstrations within a 1/2 mile of ALL funerals so everyone can morn in peace.
Thanks for bringing these cockroaches to light again !

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Fred Phelps is not a priest.
He is a deluded Protestant preacher of some sort who is also a disbarred lawyer.

That said, he has also taken Michael Jackson's music and bastardized the lyrics. For a man who hates as much as he does, I cannot imagine why he would use MJ's music.

Also, I cannot imagine how he has escaped being sued for copyright infringement.

One can dream.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

“You will know them by their fruit.”

Their actions are not that of a Christian. I would never associate them as a branch of Christians.

Other than that I have to agree with another poster. Why would someone claiming to be Christian use a nonChristian rock stars music to promote their message? The answer to that is that their message is not a Christian one.

Raist

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by daluniverse

As I recall the story, the bat he bit was supposed to be a prop, but someone had changed it for a real bat without telling him. I believe it; why else would anybody bite a bat's head off, unless they thought it was a prop for show?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
After Forever lyrics-
Is your mind so small that you have to fall
In with the pack wherever they run
Will you still sneer when death is near
And say they may as well worship the sun.

I think it was true it was people like you that crucified Christ
I think it is sad the opinion you had was the only one voiced
Will you be so sure when your day is near say you don't believe?
You had the chance but you turned it down now you can't retrieve.

Perhaps you'll think before you say that God is dead and gone
Open your eyes, just realize that he's the one
The only one who can save you now from all this sin and hate.
Or will you still jeer at all you hear?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join