It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Judge rejects plea deal for "white boy"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

PITTSBURGH — A black judge from western Pennsylvania rejected a plea agreement for a man accused of fighting with police during a traffic stop, saying it was "a ridiculous plea that only goes to white boys." The plea agreement was for a sentence of three months probation. Allegheny County Judge Joseph Williams said on Tuesday that a black defendant in that situation would not have been treated as leniently.

MSNBC

I'll be the first to admit that there are statistically disproportionate (longer) sentences for black offenders. But is this the way to deal with it? So this judge thinks the longer sentences for blacks are justified and wants to level the playing field by jailing more people for longer periods.

Something tells me this is a reckless and racially motivated attempt by a judge to fix a social problem that he's relatively powerless to affect.

Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
the judge shouldnt of said white boy and shouldnt have based his decision on race, it will just make things worse.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

"a ridiculous plea that only goes to white boys."

Lady Justice is supposed to be blind folded. That means COLOR BLIND is part of having that blind fold on.
(Racist) Sotomayer is on the supreme court which has probably emboldened the racists sitting on other benches.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
The judge was certainly in the wrong by the way he rejected the plea especially basing it on race, Even if every white person made the plea a person in his status should not use that as an excuse to reject it, no matter how many times he has heard it. It should have been worded differently [at least in my eyes], saying "Sir that is not a valid excuse" then give an example or something and let him have his sentence. I am wondering though if the plea is so common what is it? I did not see it in the article and was curious as to what it may be. I may have missed it in long in the linked article as well as the one linked in the article.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

haha. i like the sotomayer angle. good catch, i didnt' think of that. i just find it unbelievable that this guy would think its ok to make judgments this way. isn't each trial supposed to be about the individual, the alledged crime, etc? not 'how society should look racially.' its just , ug....

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It's gonna get even worse before it gets better.
I sure hope someone from the media doesn't notice the slanted racial bias.....awe who am I kidding, he's black, sweep it under the rug.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
i'm gonna tell bill o'rielly.

he's in trouble now!

this judge might be a pinhead, you make the call.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
That racist judge needs to be immediately removed from office. If he were a white judge making such comments about a black man there would be a MAJOR public outcry. You can't fight inequalities of the past by creating new inequalities. Men like this are the reason racism is still a problem.

top topics

join