It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Changes in attitude, as well as latitudes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I've been toying as to whether I should post what I'm about to say or not...I have decided it needs reading.

Been coming to this site since 2003. I have read a lot, followed a lot of threads, posted several of my own, and left answers to the posts of others, to what avail, as I am invisible here and on several other places I post.

Invisibility is cool though, it allows one to watch the changes that take place. Many have taken place here. Yes, it is all about change, I will agree. Change it up, keep it fresh, change it up, get the creative juices flowing. But, changing it up DOES NOT mean asinine attitudes.

Even if I give the benefit that those who are displaying this attitude have had a lousy month, day, or week, I still can not fathom that it is acceptable. Many are getting away with this and are not following the TOS agreement.

Funny how this really started getting worse after ATS began appearing on Face Book.

I am in no way trying to say that ATS is not the place for "children", but then again, from the attitudes I have been observing...eg. threads saying those of us who have been here for any length of time must be "spys" for some gov. agency and being paid for it, and of course the latest Mabus Angus fiasco...lol...seems like the lil' ones need some ego stroking.

But I digress...I am posting this because I feel that maybe there are other members that are seeing this as well. Public board or not, if you have seen what I am talking about, please add to what I have said. Hopefully someone (mods) will attempt to do something more about those that are really pushing it.

Thanks.

~holly

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Holly N.R.A.
But I digress...I am posting this because I feel that maybe there are other members that are seeing this as well. Public board or not, if you have seen what I am talking about, please add to what I have said. Hopefully someone (mods) will attempt to do something more about those that are really pushing it.

Hi Holly,
I agree that attitudes have been sorta crappy in the past couple years by too many members. However I have also seen some members' post quality improve over time as well, myself included. I was in my 30s when I joined back in 05, but deployments and lifes' obligations kept me away from ATS for months at a time, in one case more than a year. But now things are different, and I can truly put more effort into my ATS participation, and often spend hours a day on ATS, reading and posting, getting ideas for threads.

There is a Debate Tournament coming up in the near future which will last a couple of months. There are two brackets, with the experienced members in the first bracket starting their competition a little earlier, and then first timers starting their tournament a few weeks later, for the anonymous judges and to help things flow smoothly.

I mention this tournament, because it will be very structured, there are rules more stringent than just the Terms & Conditions. Participating members do not have pre-knowledge of what subject they are going to be debating, OR WHAT SIDE, until one day prior to their first post having to be made. So in some cases a crash course in research many be necessary. I think some of the younger or inexperienced with debating tactics, or those members who get flamed easily for lack of supportive material, could learn a few things from the mistakes and good things the debate tournament will more than likey produce.

I do think that mods have stepped up their moderation tactics collectively and in a coordinated style in recent months, and I have seen some good improvements with the mods. They are participating more in threads, and they are also executing their mod responsibilities more aptly than 5 years ago when I joined, in my opinion.

I came back to ATS after a 17 month absence more than a year ago, and I was not too happy with a lot of the rude belittling comments and slanderous unsupportable lies by some members towards a lot of members and subjects. I was not too happy with the atmosphere, .... and I decided to sorta step up and be the change I wanted to see. More humor, trying to keep ATS more fun, help a few once in awhile that are trying to research stuff, and supply relevent material.

Although I do not like or agree with some mods personal views on some subjects, I do appreciate their involvement with making posts. Often when a mod becomes a mod they sometimes post less and I miss their posts and them being members. Mods should have the right to enjoy their ATS, too. When I feel it is appropriate to do so, I have been known to flame accordinglyExample .

Holly N.R.A.,
Good post. S&F. I can see you are probably more of a reader than contributor, and that is cool. You have less than 1 flag for each year you've been on ATS
(not that I have a staggering amount myself). I hope this thread garners you more

Yes there are some brats around here on ATS, or at least they act like brats sometimes. Good thing ATS is not a full contact sport.

Thanks Holly,
ET

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

Originally posted by Holly N.R.A.

Hi Holly,
I agree that attitudes have been sorta crappy in the past couple years by too many members. However I have also seen some members' post quality improve over time as well, myself included.

There is a Debate Tournament coming up in the near future which will last a couple of months. There are two brackets, with the experienced members in the first bracket starting their competition a little earlier, and then first timers starting their tournament a few weeks later, for the anonymous judges and to help things flow smoothly.

I mention this tournament, because it will be very structured, there are rules more stringent than just the Terms & Conditions. Participating members do not have pre-knowledge of what subject they are going to be debating, OR WHAT SIDE, until one day prior to their first post having to be made. So in some cases a crash course in research many be necessary. I think some of the younger or inexperienced with debating tactics, or those members who get flamed easily for lack of supportive material, could learn a few things from the mistakes and good things the debate tournament will more than likey produce.

I do think that mods have stepped up their moderation tactics collectively and in a coordinated style in recent months, and I have seen some good improvements with the mods. They are participating more in threads, and they are also executing their mod responsibilities more aptly than 5 years ago when I joined, in my opinion. .

I came back to ATS after a 17 month absence more than a year ago, and I was not too happy with a lot of the rude belittling comments and slanderous unsupportable lies by some members towards a lot of members and subjects. I was not too happy with the atmosphere, .... and I decided to sorta step up and be the change I wanted to see. More humor, trying to keep ATS more fun, help a few once in awhile that are trying to research stuff, and supply relevent material.

Although I do not like or agree with some mods personal views on some subjects, I do appreciate their involvement with making posts. Often when a mod becomes a mod they sometimes post less and I miss their posts and them being members. Mods should have the right to enjoy their ATS, too. Example .

Holly N.R.A.,
Good post. S&F. I can see you are probably more of a reader than contributor, and that is cool. You have less than 1 flag for each year you've been on ATS
(not that I have a staggering amount myself). I hope this thread garners you more

As a matter of fact, I am more a reader. When one posts as a contributor, or answers others threads, and comments and replies are more than 90% non existent...then all that is left to one is to read and answer accordingly and hope that eventually someone will reply as you have.

Yes there are some brats around here on ATS, or at least they act like brats sometimes. Good thing ATS is not a full contact sport.

Thanks Holly,
ET

Hey, back at ya...thanks for reading this post and I do agree with the comment above. Some do mellow, and yet others apparently can't control themselves and get worse over time. Glad to see you mention the debate, it will be interesting to see what will happen.

I realize the mods can only do "so much" and yes, you have made a point that they are improving somewhat, but there are still too many that deserve reprimand and go without word one to them. They "PACK" together and "ATTACK". This does happen, and on a regular basis

With that last comment, I totally agree...hehe...
Don't think we could afford the doctor bills. Again, thanks so much for your kind reply.

~holly
edit on 7-10-2010 by Holly N.R.A. because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
'Kay....

What about the mabus.angus fiasco? Can you elaborate more on that?

I'm invisible too but I didn't do anything to correct this. A huge heap of negative pts added to me, but I kept my account. That bug will help me stay invisible.

So - S&F amigo!

-headb

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

Waa!!!! I don't like meanies! Waaa!!
Even I hope I am kidding with that one!

Here is where I would use the art of suspense, to further my charade
I hate text.

I agree, "something" is off about ATS anymore. Oh...wait...that's my BO.

Seriously though, I just muddle through the mess (most of the time). The best action, in this case, is inaction (In my opinion) Take away the audience, and the soap box is useless. (That kind of thing.)

As for "angry" folks straight out posting AT someone.

new topics

top topics

join