It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Galaxies Discovered

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I just found this article www.abc.net.au...

A team of Australian scientists have discovered a group of galaxies thought to have existed only in the distant past, a casual 1 billion light years away.

Unfortunately, as per usual, they need bigger telescopes to answer the questions this discovery raises. If they got that, there would no doubt be the discovery of something else just on the limits of that telescope, needing an even bigger one. I cant see the discoveries ever ending.
edit on 6/10/2010 by SNAFU38 because: News Link Changed

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Instead of looking at it like its all out of reach, just imagine What a boring world we would live in if all the questions were answered.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Question why

I cant argue with that, & that wasnt what I meant, I love space exploration & wish we had something new every week.

I am wondering what the next generation of observational tools we will need to develop is. We will probably need an alternative to the modern thinking on telescopes, one day we will reach the size limit that we can build.

I know we can put them out in space, but again, we probably need to keep increasing the size which brings more hazards.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Maybe I'm wrong, but haven't we already identified galaxies as far away as 13-billion light years away? Like at the edge of the Universe? Is there something different about these?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Maybe I'm wrong, but haven't we already identified galaxies as far away as 13-billion light years away? Like at the edge of the Universe? Is there something different about these?

Came to post.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Isn't "Ancient Galaxy" an oxymoron, because viewing, from Earth, a galaxy thats a billion+ light years away mean that we are viewing the galaxy as it was billion+ light years sense thats also how long it takes for the light to get here?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Confusion42

But the interesting part is that for an ancient galaxy it is relatively new, the previous rational was that this type of galaxy would not form, not anymore anyway.

"Such galaxies were thought to exist only in the distant past, when the universe was very young".

He says astronomers had previously thought extremely fast star formation took place in ancient galaxies fuelled by cold streams of gas continually falling in from outside the galaxy.

"It's a mechanism that only existed in the early universe because much of this gas was thought to have been used up by now," he said. "But finding the same kind of galaxies in today's universe means this mechanism can't be the only way rapid star formation is fuelled.

"Instead it seems that when young stars form, they create turbulence in their surrounding gas. The more stars form in a galaxy, the more turbulence it has. And turbulence affects how fast stars form, so we're seeing stars regulating their own formation."

So even with the questions raised, we have found part of the answer.

article from op
edit on 6-10-2010 by Question why because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
This is quite exciting, even disturbing, in its implications. If these Aussie astronomers are right, it means that processes hitherto thought to have occurred only when the universe was very young--a very different place from what it is now--were still going on as recently as a billion years ago.

This is a bit of a poser for cosmology, and may mean that some of our ideas about the universe need revision.

The trouble with that is, the moment you revise one bit, all the other bits have to be revised, too.

This is how scientific revolutions begin. With a little piece that just doesn't fit, looks more awkward the more you try to force it, and eventually undoes the entire puzzle and reassembles it in a new shape.

I say 'watch this space.'

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I love news like this because it sometimes shakes and rattles the arrogance out of some of the over proud scientists... and get's new thinking taking place, which is important for making great discoveries....

This proves that by illustrating that there is not only so much to learn, but that maybe a lot of things that have already been learned-may be wrong or need revision...

cheers.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Of course, isn't what we're seeing already the ancient past? I mean, after all....the light and information we're seeing is WAY out of date.... So for all we know, they don't exist anymore...we're looking at the ancient past, not present.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thinking of the evolution that our own planet has gone through... Still today we find evidence of old societies that we never new existed. Some dating back 7500 BC. When looking at the pictures of galaxies from billions of light years away it is dumbfounding to imagine what is there now. How many potential planets have had the same progression of civilization that we have had. I'm curious about subterranean cultures in space. We know that the government has had developed subterranean bases and tunnels connecting them. How much further evolved could these other civilizations be? Are we seeing bare planets devoid of life because that's what they want us to see. did they already experience surface destruction from meteors and asteroids causing them to go underground?
Example, the emission of methane on Mars and the blurred images of structures on the planet. Are we missing something? On the flip side. Did the US Governenment decide to PUBLICLY endorse the mission to Mars for 2016-2020 because private observation facilities are getting closer and closer to identifying something? I'm betting that we've been there for years mining and now the government is going to plant their feet on Mars for the cameras because they found something ... some precious metal or resource unavailable here on Earth. Of course these are my thoughts not facts. But I can't help but be intrigued when there are controversial pictures of coins on Mars. See the link below on this site.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I just don't think that with the varying civilizations that have lived on earth on the surface and subterranean that we're going to see evidence of buidings and communities on the surface of these planets.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Of course, isn't what we're seeing already the ancient past? I mean, after all....the light and information we're seeing is WAY out of date.... So for all we know, they don't exist anymore...we're looking at the ancient past, not present.

You're right. We're seeing those galaxies as they were a billion years ago.

The problem is, they shouldn't have looked like that a billion years ago. They should have looked like that 10 billion years ago, or thereabouts.

Something doesn't fit.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SNAFU38

i think anything in the universe that we can observe emitting light must still be there . i know this probably sounds silly , but think about it , their is no form of light that i know of in which the beam keeps travelling with some sort of self sustaining energy once the original source of energy is gone . even lasers need a constant source of energy . if we shot a laser beam into space and then turned it off, it would simply cease to be . i think once a light beam from a star makes it to earth the wave aspect of light really takes over and info is transferred throughout the beam via quantum transfer . roll it around in your head , light does not create it's own energy , their is no light without an active energy source .

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by drell777
i think anything in the universe that we can observe emitting light must still be there. i know this probably sounds silly, but think about it, there is no form of light that i know of in which the beam keeps travelling with some sort of self sustaining energy once the original source of energy is gone.

It does sound a bit silly.

Does a stream of water down a gutter continue flowing once the tap is turned off? You know it does, because you can see it.

Trouble is, light travels so damn' fast. It's gone before you blink. Switch the flashlight off and zap, no more beam.

Over interstellar distances, distances light takes years to cross, it's a little different. More like the water flowing down the drain.

Get it now?

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

I fell over laughing at this. Disappearing galaxies one light year away is probable. Sounds more likely than not.
Then in the view of science, I decided sit up and applaud your post.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

water has more water coming behind it to push it through the pipe . light doesn't work like that . their is no light pump once a star goes out . their is a water pump in your town that keeps going until the electricity is down , then you have no more water , right ?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by drell777

i just thought of what you might say and when the water pump in your town goes down you don't have water for another week simply because it was set in motion last week it takes energy to travel .

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by drell777

water has more water coming behind it to push it through the pipe . light doesn't work like that .

Oh well, I tried.

I guess science just isn't for some people.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

i'm open for a scientific explanation of how light operates without an energy source . you are just following the theories of people who say it's so because they cannot prove it . i understand the concept it just really doesn't make that much sense when you think about it , i appreciate your reply in trying to make me see the light(lol) i look forward to your reply , if any .

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Confusion42

you are absolutely right . light is energy and does not exist without a power source . people keep trying to argue with me about this . when i turn the power off you are through .

<<   2 >>

join