It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Busted! RNC chair can’t name minimum wage, complains of ‘trap’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Republicans claim to be the party for working class whites, and in fact a new poll says as much today.

But Tuesday the chairman of the Republican National Committee proved that he may not be as in touch with working class Americans as he would like you to think.

In an interview with MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell, RNC Chairman Michael Steele refused to rule out repealing or lowering the minimum wage. When pressed, the chairman couldn't even cite the rate of pay for the lowest earning Americans.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.rawstory.com...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of allowing the government to dictate contracts between employer and employee. In fact, I'm not in favor of giving government any powers to meddle with the market, however until we have true free-market capitalism, workers will continue to be screwed by their employers, as we have become wage-slaves.

A free-market system has to be all or nothing, otherwise it isn;t a free-market and the elites will continue to screw the peasants. You can pick and choose which free-market principals that we embrace, because that only moves us further from free-market capitalism.

With a free and decentralized market, you wouldn't need the idea of minimum wages, as the market would dictate [fairly] what the wages should and would be. However, until we have a real free-market, workers and consumers are going to continue to get the shaft.

I have never like Michael Steele and I feel that he was elected chair, as an answer to Obama. As in an effort to grasp at minority voters. In other words, he was elected chair due to his skin color. This latest bout only proves how out of touch our politicians really are, both Democrat and Republican.

--airspoon

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Dude, if there was no minimum wage, I am sure there would be more jobs in the US, but companies would pay people pennies to work them. Fairly? Really? You do know that corporations screw the worker whenever possible right?

Without the protections like minimum wage and other labor laws, people would be forced into union jobs just to make a living wage.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
It's not news that these people are out of touch.

When you're living with a 6 figure income long enough you forget about things like minimum wage, student loan repayment, how many houses you own, paying your taxes, etc....

Every last suit in DC is just like this.

I wouldn't claim it's a fault. I mean, there are plenty of things other people are concerned with that I couldn't care less about. Does that make me a bad person? I just have different priorities, concerns and interests.

Why should anyone rack their brain worrying about how much the 16 year old by the fryolater is making?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

You obviously don't understand free-market capitalism, but that's understandable, considering that we have never had free-market capitalism in our life-times.

With a free-market, corporations and businesses would be pressured, by the market itself, into paying their employees a fair share. In order to stay afloat, be competative and become more efficient, companies would be forced to find the right pay/price/operating balance... or they would soon find themselves out of business. However, these variables don't affect companies today, as the government's influence over the market and economy keeps the market from correcting itself. The market that we currently have, is not free and so the market can't influence variables such as employee salary and product or service prices.

Your basing your assessment on what you know, our current market and economic mechanics. With our current market, I happen to agree with you, though there is a much better system, one where minimum wage wouldn't even be an issue. A system that we claim to have now, though we certainly don't, rather it is simply a buzz-word thrown about to give the illusion of freedom and more importantly, give an excuse to screw the little guy and keep us shackled to our debt-based wages.

--airspoon

reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Are you a "Free Stater"? Kind of off-topic, I know.. but I saw your sig and location.
edit on 6-10-2010 by airspoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Let the conservatives keep pulling the wool over peoples eyes about how minimum wages destroy business and cause a loss of jobs.

Here is a list of the minimum wage, in dollars, country by country. In just a quick glance over I counted eleven nations with higher minimum wages than the US.

People in San Marino have a higher minimum wage than I am entitled to. I may not have ever heard of San Marino but I now know I should probably envy them.

Micheal Steele is just another sign of the massive disconnect in this country and our perpetual enslavement to the interests of big business.

So sad.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Reply to post by airspoon

The FSP is a major reason why I chose to move to NH but I won't say I'm a "Free Stater" since I'm not big on the whole 'grouping together' thing.

Just a libertarian in NH whose happy the FSP is what it is.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

It's important to distinguish conservatives from Republicans. Many, if not most, Republicans are statists and some are even statist liberals. True conservatives are far and few in between. The Republicans running the show right now, only call themselves conservatives while holding statist ideals and even worse, the neo-cons are statist liberals in conservative disguise by hiding behind the "moral majority" and using it as a cloak.

True conservative are for smaller government, the Constitution (as intended) and fiscal liberties. You'd be hard pressed to even find a handful of Republican politicians that hold these ideals. Most are for Unconstitutional wars, fiscal slavery, subversion of the Constitution and large government (tied in with foreign policy and both wars).

Again, while many Republicans like to call themselves conservative, they aren't.

--airspoon

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
the point being that our leaders don't even know the basic details of what they vote on. u.s. politicians are a disgrace..with the state of politics in the u.s., i would be embarrassssed to identify myself as a politician.
couple links to help 'deny ignorance'
readthebill.org...

www.govtrack.us...

one more just for fun

“I don’t think you want me to waste my time to read every page of the healthcare bill,” Baucus said, according to the Flathead Beacon. “You know why? It’s statutory language. … We hire experts.”
dailycaller.com... atic-sen-max-baucus-admits-he-didnt-read-health-care-bill-video/

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by clearmind

Yeah, what's even more crazy, is that while they claim to not have enough time to read the Bills coming across their desk, they are debating, voting on and passing laws on the volume of TV commercials. If they are so over-worked and out of time, why waste that time on such irrelevant issue?

--airspoon

top topics

join