It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The CCTV vigilantes: Snoopers paid to sit at home watching store security cameras

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Hello good people of a.t.s , It seems just when you tought the United Kingdom could not get anymore watched by cameras and big brother,It has!! . Private snoopers are geting paid thousands of pounds to watch
shoppers shopping with the hope of catching shop lifters, In effect that you,i and are mothers will be watched by thousands of eyes online while doing shopping with the hope of catching them doing something wrong.
I could not believe what i was reading,you can get paid up to 1000 pounds for catching someone
,the reason for this system is they cant afford to watch the video screens themselfs but they can pay you a grand on some items!
, guys would you be happy to have this system in place?
would you be uproared about it? or just think we are watched anyway?
If you catch someone stealing ? you simply send a text to ?? and they will go and detain the bad guys.

The site is aimed at businesses that cannot afford security guards to watch their cameras 24 hours a day. The snoopers, each watching up to four screens at a time, will receive rewards of up to £1,000 when offenders are caught. Firms pay £20 a week for the service.

The scheme, which started on Monday, was granted approval by the Information Commissioner’s Office.

Charles Farrier, of campaign group No CCTV, said it should be stopped. ‘The Information Commissioner has put private profit above personal privacy in allowing a private company to launch its Stasi-style citizen spy game rather than defending the rights of British citizens,’ he added.

‘This is the privatisation of the surveillance society – a private company asking private individuals to spy on each other using private cameras connected to the internet. Internet Eyes must be challenged
ICO spokesman said Internet Eyes was being made to comply with the Data Protection Act in using and storing images. It has also insisted on background checks on watchers employed by the site.

The spokesman added: ‘Our CCTV code of practice makes it clear that CCTV operators should use appropriately trained staff to monitor images.

‘We have provided advice to Internet Eyes on its own data protection compliance. We will be checking to ensure it has followed this and will investigate any complaints we receive.’

crazy or what guys,lol.Id really like to hear what you think.thanks for your time

how long untill humans arent needed at all,with all jobs being done without help from all us?? It seems every day it happens a lot more with a new gadgits to do just about every thing you could think of!

full story
edit on 15/8/2010 by johnny c because: missing link

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Can you imagine how nervous people in the UK are going to be walking into a shopping center now.
I would be thinking something along this lines of "Those damn cameras... Don't make any sudden movements. You might get tackled >.>

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I think this is hilarious. This means everytime I give a CCTV camera the finger when I'm in a shop, some loser monitoring it on the Internet will get to see it.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by sliceNodice
Can you imagine how nervous people in the UK are going to be walking into a shopping center now.
I would be thinking something along this lines of "Those damn cameras... Don't make any sudden movements. You might get tackled >.>

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
I think this is hilarious. This means everytime I give a CCTV camera the finger when I'm in a shop, some loser monitoring it on the Internet will get to see it.

Hahahaha yeah good point,you will be given 1000s the finger
,big lone ranger that is good thinking!!
big time star!! for that!
thanks for the reply buddy

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
come on guys there has to be a few takers on here

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
What I was wondering about this service is how do they expect people to make a living from it? It's only £20 per week. Who's gonna have the time to sit and watch it all day?

You also have to catch people in order actually earn some money. I suppose if your the type to apply for the job maybe it's the thrill of watching people that's the real reward!

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Cool and easy spare-time job

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Oh never mind, they pay $0.75/hour. You really have to be an idiot to sell out and hurt freedom for that much.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
There's a post from a few months back that contains info from the Internet Eyes company that will be running this.

Personally I'd be all for keeping a vigilant eye on the changing rooms of Agent Provocateur (And the corner outside it at their Glasgow score where men are always run over by cars for not looking where they are going).

Apart from that it's just a steamllining scam isn't it. Cut down on overheads by outsourcing your CCTV stream to idiots on the internet and offer them the 'chance' of winning up to 1000 pounds if they catch a person performing a criminal act.

This system is open for abuse in so many ways and I can't wait to hear the stories that will undoubtedly come from it and the corruption it will spawn.

-m0r

top topics

join