It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPDATE: (for those that think other wise) "Separation of Church and State" is a MYTH!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

Even if it is a "myth" (I don't trust some random poster on a conspiracy site to debunk ANYTHING), it's no excuse to establish a fascist theocracy like those in the middle east.

Keep God out of Government.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Sword that is my argument, only in reverse.
The First Amendment as the rest of the constitution was made to protect "We the People" from the Government.
They knew that one day it would start over stepping its bounds. It was made to keep government out of religion, not the other way around. It was written so that the Government could not become ones church or religion. That is not what this is about.
We have now, today, people that are trying to remove any form of religious displays from the main stream, who just want to "brush them under the carpet" if you will, and move FORWARD (progress). And they are using the First Amendment to do it. My post in this thread were written to show that this is NOT what the founders intended.
Quadrivium

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by rnaa

rnaa,
I know about the "Age of Enlightenment", I do not think that one is able to research history without seeing it.
But I really do not understand how you think these men could base out Government on the (Scottish & French) enlightenment, something many of them felt rather strongly about, and totally leave out their beliefs on religion, something almost all of them felt strongly about.
They wanted each and every person to have Freedom of Religion" that includes freedom of none if that makes you happy. No argument there. They did this so that we might all have the same opportunities with out the Government getting in the way.
I never said that our Government was or should be Judea/Christian. I said it was founded on such VALUES.
You Have already admitted that ...

The founding fathers were Christian, many clergy, that is indisputable.

Do you really believe that they kept those values separate while discussing the formation of this nation? Or that they totally wiped it from their minds while writing the documents?
Do you believe that they felt that religion was a dirty, alien thing that needed to be totally kept out of sight, that it should only be discussed in the home or in the church? I have showed time and time again that this is not the case, this is not what they believed.
Please go a little further in your research on Enlightenment. I think you might find that there is a difference in Scottish, French Enlightenment compared to American Enlightenment.
Quadrivium

PS-

You keep asserting that the Nation is founded on Judeo/Christian values (you only added the 'Judeo/' part recently, but anyway).

Wrong again. lol I could show you the exact post but it might do you some good to read back over this thread again (Don't feel bad, sometimes I have to read things a couple of times before understanding as well, the important part is that we understand
).

new topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join