It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Undocumented language found hidden in India

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Undocumented language found hidden in India

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – A "hidden" language spoken by only about 1,000 people has been discovered in the remote northeast corner of India by researchers who at first thought they were documenting a dialect of the Aka culture, a tribal community that subsists on farming and hunting.

They found an entirely different vocabulary and linguistic structure.

Even the speakers of the tongue, called Koro, did not realize they had a distinct language, linguist K. David Harrison said Tuesday.

Culturally, the Koro speakers are part of the Aka community in India's Arunachal Pradesh state, and Harrison, a
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I don't know about the rest of you but I find this amazing, given the fact that we assumed that every corner of the world has been covered and documented.

What I really find interesting about this is that the people speaking this previously unknown language didn't realize their language was unique.

With what was considered a dialect is now considered distinct. With 6910 documented languages in the world, it's no wonder why there's a communication breakdown between cultures.

news.yahoo.com

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

First of all I think this is an awesome find. Secondly, 6910 languages WOW. I had no idea. If I were asked 5 minutes ago I would have guessed 300.

Now lets hope some missionary doesn't decide to go teach them all English.
edit on 5-10-2010 by abrowning because: derp

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Awesome find and an interesting read. The cynic in me however is thinking "Today they find a hidden language spoken by only 1,000 people and tomorrow they'll find some ancient tablet that tells us that all our religious beliefs are wrong and then...Project Bluebeam"

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this will happen, but it would be a good opportunity to build on for TPTB.

Rev

edit on 5/10/2010 by revmoofoo because: Can't type or spell!

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

I don't know about the rest of you but I find this amazing, given the fact that we assumed that every corner of the world has been covered and documented.

What I really find interesting about this is that the people speaking this previously unknown language didn't realize their language was unique.

With what was considered a dialect is now considered distinct. With 6910 documented languages in the world, it's no wonder why there's a communication breakdown between cultures.

news.yahoo.com

Oh but not every corner of the globe has been met yet. I mean, reconsider the time a plane captured red painted folk in the amazon, who threw spears the plane... New humans.. Stuck in a forrest of time.

We are far from knowing all about our own planet.

Who knows - if we cannot even mention the entire human species in a record, what else there is to learn.

We'd sooner mine it than check it out.

$$$ > knowledge..

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   

To me this doesn't really surprise me, earlier this year a tribe in the Amazon was first discovered. In the US a lot of the land is discovered but in other parts of the world things are less known and more isolated.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Given the lies that people always tell...

I will believe this if or when the researchers prove it to me.

This world seems to be so full of liars...

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I don't know how they can call it "undocumented" now that it's been documented. That's like calling a UFO a UFO after it's been identified, lol. Where can I hear an audio clip of this language?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by quantum_flux

It can be 'documented' by liars.

That is the issue I have.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
IOt always amazes me how much we don't know about our surroundings, still. While we like to think we know everything or most everything about our world, there is still so much left to discover. We are only scratching the surface of what is really out there.

--airspoon

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
We are only scratching the surface of what is really out there.

In many ways we can say that as our knowledge of our surroundings increase, the "dumber" we find out ourselves to be.

A discovery always open the doors to many unanswered questions. What amazes me about this story is how can a language like Latin that was spoken by millions of people become a "dead" common language, and this "new" language survives yet being spoken by only a handful of people.

I wonder how old it is? Maybe it is a relatively new language which will be spoken by "billions" before the turn of the century.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Hey Everyone
Please check this out:

Last Speaker of Bo Dies in India
www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you go to the site you will hear someone talking and the language is very musical, kind of like a ghost singing if I may.

Good Find OP
Interesting read

top topics

join