It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK alarm over Guantanamo trials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
The planned military tribunals for terror suspects held at Guantanamo Bay are unacceptable, says the British attorney general.

Four British men are still being held at the Cuban camp.

news.bbc.co.uk...

It seems we may hold our personal freedoms vs national security debate by proxy. Unfortunately, the US cannot get a substantive discussion started on the subject without it ending up in a name calling, expletive filled, exercise in frustration.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Totally agree with the Attorney General.

These will be unfair trials without due course being allowed. The US is allowing a review of decisions but in the end its the Presidents call on what happens to a detainee. If he's found not guilty for example, the reveiw board may also agree however if the President then decides on the basis of other information, he may still have this person detained.

This is not a fair process and no sane government would allow its citizens to be treated this way. Australia is however appearing to agree with this method. I am glad the Uk is protesting.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
UPDATE:

Britain has long said it believes rules laid out by Washington for tribunals to try detainees are unfair, but Goldsmith's remarks, hours before a visit to Europe by U.S. President George W. Bush, drew fresh attention to the dispute.

While Blair's government is uneasy over Guantanamo, it has itself been lambasted by campaigners for the detention of 17 foreigners under emergency post-September 11 powers allowing indefinite imprisonment without charge.

www.reuters.co.uk...

Now it gets good. Although Lord Goldsmith's remarks are raising a very important issue that needs to be discussed, it rings rather hollow when they (British) have the same issue at home.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:35 AM
link   
the detaines at guantanamo deserve to be treated bad I could care less about what happens to they tried to attack the us I don't care where they are from

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Presumably you have personal knowledge of what transpired to cause each & every one of them to be detained in the first place, West Point?

If not, I wonder if you appreciate the rights of citizens in a "democracy" - like being innocent until proved guilty when charged with a crime, as well as having a fair & OPEN trial pkus access to lawyers/attorneys.

America is supposedly the champion of democracy, and like Caesar's wife, should be above suspicion.

new topics

top topics

join