It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Thing That Goes Bump In The Night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
This is the scariest paranormal experience I've ever had.
I was around 13 years old, living in Orlando Florida. Lived in a good neighborhood with one street to get in, and out, with a highly Spanish population. Always had eerie feeling there, many times felt like someone was watching me. Had a deeply wooded area behind it that all the neighborhood kids would explore. Anyway my house constantly had loud booms, and bangs hitting the outside. My parents always ran outside hoping to catch kids throwing oranges at our garage door. But never found anything, no kids, no smashed oranges.

So one night I was laying in my bed unable to fall asleep just thinking. When suddenly I hear a faint thud. All the houses were aligned in a row, and I could hear the thud getting louder, and closer. Turned from a thud, to a loud bang. Sounded like it was going from rooftop to rooftop, and coming toward my house. At first I was listening curiously, but when it got two house away I was scared stiff clenching my sheets. It hit my next-door neighbors house with an incredibly loud BOOM... then it hit my house with an even louder BOOM, then my other next-door neighbors house, and slowly faded away the same way it came. When it hit, or landed on my roof the whole house began to crackle for a good five minutes. Like how you hear a random pop in a wall but everywhere. I lied there frozen in fear, and eventually fell asleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My mother told me she heard the same thing one night, only she said it sounded like something huge with paws. Not sure if it was the same night. One thing I found a little odd was my best friend couldn't ever sleep over because he had to sleep under the virgin Mary (painting). His grandmother who spoke no English lived in his room with him. He told me one time he woke up, and it sounded like everything in his room fell over, and next morning everything was in the right place. His grandmother had maybe 50-60 religious candles in the garage always lit, which she would hide when company was over. She also had a medicine bowl with an odd blue powder in my friends room under the Mary.

Weather she knew something or not I don't know, but there house was in the direction the Boom came from.

I've lived in Florida most of my life, and I know this was no sonic boom from a shuttle launch. I live right next to the space center now, and it's never even close to what I heard that night.

I've never found another story like mine, and I thought when I was younger that maybe "The Thing That Goes Bump In The Night" was an actual phenomenon.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Amazing. Truly amazing, thank you for the thread S&F when I get on the PC! But I am curious...have you ever seen the movie Paranormal Activity? There is a loud banging type noise portrayed when the demon is acting up. Also, with your mother talking about paws, the demon in that movie also had claw/pawish kind of feet. Interesting. I know it is a proven fake movie, but they base there "footage" off true parts of demonology (or so I think). This is really an amazing story, and actually freaked me out quite a bit. Hope I don't have to live through your story but it's still awesome. At least it didn't actually hurt you either. Do you think it has something to do with the woods? Hmmmm...so many questions! Thanks again for the thread!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I agree that this is a really amazing story and thanks for sharing! I don't know what I would have done. Knowing my curious nature, I probably would have had my nose out of the window when I first started to hear it. Who knows what would have come of that!
It sure sounds like something was leaping from rooftop to rooftop, but I cannot even begin to surmise what. Forgive me if I have missed this but have any of the other neighbors ever heard a similar noise on their homes, which would definitely solidify the rooftop to rooftop theory. I do recall hearing stories about people finding hoof prints on rooftops and with no explanation, obviously as to what/how they got there. Maybe this is along those lines and if there had been snow, such as in the hoof cases, I wonder if any prints would have been left behind in your case? Either way, very interesting!

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by dementedtheclown

Many people have these experiences. I myself have been laying in bed and have heard voices as well as thuds. One thing to remember is that human perception is flawed and sound can bounce and carry in ways that don't seem obvious to us. It is easy to get caught up in the strangeness of a sound especially if we're unsure of the source. My point is that I don't think your experience is definitively paranormal (neither were mine) but that it is far more likely that the sound was either something ordinary, such as a sonic boom, a meteor breaking up over the neighborhood, your chimney falling over, etc.

While you did mention your Mother also hearing the sound it wouldn't hurt to look at what is known as Exploding Head Syndrome... perhaps it even runs in the family. The primary symptom is hearing loud phantom noises. Exploding Head Syndrome

Now it may well be that what you experienced wasn't any of the things I mentioned but I think that its important to look at it with some healthy skepticism before declaring it truly paranormal. Thanks for sharing and a Star for your post

edit on 2-10-2010 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

While you did mention your Mother also hearing the sound it wouldn't hurt to look at what is known as Exploding Head Syndrome... perhaps it even runs in the family. The primary symptom is hearing loud phantom noises. Exploding Head Syndrome

Wow! I have never heard of that Exploding head syndrome! That is some crazy stuff right there and not saying this is your experience, OP but I can see where sufferers of this would claim to have lots of activity going on!

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

Many people have these experiences. I myself have been laying in bed and have heard voices as well as thuds. One thing to remember is that human perception is flawed and sound can bounce and carry in ways that don't seem obvious to us. It is easy to get caught up in the strangeness of a sound especially if we're unsure of the source. My point is that I don't think your experience is definitively paranormal (neither were mine) but that it is far more likely that the sound was either something ordinary, such as a sonic boom, a meteor breaking up over the neighborhood, your chimney falling over, etc.

Now it may well be that what you experienced wasn't any of the things I mentioned but I think that its important to look at it with some healthy skepticism before declaring it truly paranormal. Thanks for sharing and a Star for your post

Definitely wasn't that. n Im unsure if anyone else in my neighborhood heard it, but the garage door would sound like someone pitching an orange at it, with no oranges or anything outside. My Mom, Dad, Cousin, and even my dog heard those. I never thought much of it, until that night.

My mom took my dog outside, she was half pit half black lab, and would have chased whoever was out there. But didn't find nothing. Also only heard them in that particular house.

@philosearcher I have seen the movie, thought it was non-scary lol, but no I didn't hear any paws, and it was much louder then those bangs. And yes it did start in the direction of the woods.

On another note, it wasn't quick, took about a second or two roof to roof.
Im 100% sure it was not a sonic boom, most those do is shake the window, and that happens very quickly. We had no chimney, and would be funny if every1s chimneys were falling down. A meteor falling on every1s roof in synchronicity would be pretty crazy too.

edit on 2-10-2010 by dementedtheclown because: adding details

new topics

top topics

join