It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real Impact of Food Stamp Cuts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Congress is poised to cut food stamps again, taking more away from an extended benefit created by the 2009 stimulus, before its original expiry date, and setting up an unprecedented “cliff” in food stamps, now known as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, benefits. To demonstrate how hurtful this might prove, anti-hunger advocate Joel Berg recently spent a week eating according to the SNAP budget.

“I had done it in 2007, as well,” he said. “This time, it was much harder, because the price of food has increased more than the benefit has increased. Last time, for instance, I ate an apple a day, along with other food. This time, I couldn’t afford a single piece of fruit.”

So this country is in an economic depression where millions of people cannot find a job and the food stamps are being cut.

One in seven Americans are currently receiving food stamps. This is a lot of people who are going to be affected by this.

A lot of food pantries are having a limited amount of food to give out. People who used to donate end up being the ones who need assistance.

Why don't they slash unneeded programs instead of taking food out of someone's mouth?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
This isn't good - I have a friend that is legally blind, has cebral palsy and on SSD. He can't even pay his bills sometimes and he gets $16.00 a month food stamps. I just about fell over when he told me how little he gets. So I guess they will take this away now too. He eats rice and beans. I take him a hot meal when I can but I am limited on what I can do myself. I know there are programs that are less important that could be cut. Seems everytime I go to the grocery now I see an increase in prices, its getting really bad.

edit on 30-9-2010 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Does anyone know the maximum amount of food stamps per person? I remember was it Reagan (?) who spent a month on food stamp allotment (for the entire White House staff, presumably) but they cheated using cooking oils, condiments and spices and everything they already had stocked in the WhiteHouse kitchen, using the food stamp allotment only to buy fresh food. If it was for the entire staff then they could buy in bulk....heck I never really believed any of it.

Someone said the allotment is $3.00 a day per person. Is that even possible?" Beans and rice are okay but not for months and months at a time. I've heard there are some serious health problems with eating only legumes and no fresh foods, fats or oils.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

Well, I get a little over $300/month in food stamps. There are two people in my household.

Years ago though, before my daughter was born, I received a little over $70/mo in food stamps and I had no income. The allotment increases greatly per person from what I understand.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
washingtonindependent.com...

Here's the link for the article. I thought I'd remembered to copy/paste it this time. Sorry about that.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
You wanna hear something interesting..

I went to welfare at the beginning of this year and asked them for help.. I was thrown out of my ex g/f's house and was living in my car, so I figure i can get some help via welfare since i paid into it..

They gave me food stamps.. I think it was 200 a month.. I asked about cash and medical ins for the time being they told me that I was not mentally or physically handicapped so i was not allowed to get either of those..

What gets me is we pay taxes for this crap and we are not allowed to use it when we need it?

Is there something wrong with this picture?

For the record I am not on fs anymore i have a full time job and I support myself..

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

So it sounds currently the maximum is $5. a day per person. Not much room for a mistake or "wild indugence" in that. That would be a challenge for anyone. Thanks for the info.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I`ve known and know people that get food stamps that either work or don`t want to work. In both the working and don`t want to work cases they received over $150 per month. The working people told me I should apply as well since according to the income required most people will qualify.

So with just the people I`ve known it`s no wonder the system of helping those in need isn`t a working system and will fail to do what it was meant to do.. Welfare is the same. And sadly Social Security as well.

People abuse the system and hurt those that truly need it.

top topics

join