It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even Without COICA, White House Asking Registrars To Voluntarily Censor 'Infringing' Sites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

That is, while most folks have been focused on COICA, the White House's Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator (IP Czar) Victoria Espinel has apparently been holding meetings with ISPs, registrars, payment processors and others to get them to agree to voluntarily do what COICA would mandate.

Source

This is unacceptable. This is essentially a modern-day book burning. This is not governments duty.
But these are the kind of things that happen when everyone is distracted with birther nonsense and arguing semantics in a speech the President gave.
Pay attention or watch your freedoms disappear.

edit on 9/30/2010 by NoArmsJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I think you forgot to post the link. Care to post it so we can read the article?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Found a copy here:
Copy

(Google is awesome)

EDIT--
A little more meat:

While the meeting is carefully focused on stopping websites that sell gray market pharmaceuticals, if registrars start agreeing to censoring websites at the behest of the government, it's as if we're halfway to a COICA-style censorship regime already. ICANN, who manages the internet domain name system was asked to attend the meeting, but felt that it "was not appropriate to attend" such a meeting.

edit on 9/30/2010 by adigregorio because: Opening a can of spam...

EDIT2--
Alright my thoughts on this:

Smells fishy, other than that though... I do not have enough data to make an informed opinion, my uninformed opinion says:

edit on 9/30/2010 by adigregorio because: Deep thoughts from the shallow end.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Edited my OP to include a link. Thank to Jenna and adigregorio for pointing that out.
Sorry 'bout that!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I gotta say, for all the fear mongering on this site; all the FEMA camp and population reduction theories that are endlessly discussed, yall get very quiet and apathetic when a real and tangible threat to your freedom is presented.

top topics

join